DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A new pack: Winterwind's arival (Attn Sage, Open to all)

Winterwinds

OOC: I fuigured I would start the thread. But, if I am out of line, feel free to delete it and give me a smack.

Winter leaned heavily on the walking staff he had bought a few days ago, he had never walked so much in his life but was deteremed to not give up. So far he thought he was doing alright, but he had to admit he wouldnt be able to go further without the steady support from Forest Shadow who was walking easily beside him.

"Common, how do you expect to get anywhere if you cannot walk more then a few miles?" She said beside him with what he figured was a laugh from a wolf.

"I would get there, if after you sister" He replyed.

It was about now that Winter relised that they were getting close to a heavily wooded area and were now on a path that had wagon ruts in it. A sudden wave of unease hit him and Forest and Night's Howl walked for a few steps before noticing he had stopped.

"Come on Wind, you are almost in the Stedding" Night's Howl said, it was the first thing he had said for about an hour.

"I...I guess I am just uneasy about this." Winter replied, but shakeing himself he took a step forward and another until crossed the boarder of the Stedding and a sudden feeling of absolute peace hit him. For a moment he just stood there, stunned and a little confused. Those feeling soon passed and he smiled and shook his head, then continued into the Stedding.

What met his eyes inside the stedding were beyond what he had hoped for, he had thought he would be led to a small camp of tents and cook fires. Instead, he had been lead into a village. Looking at the people who passed him in the streets he was shocked to see that alot of them (Atleast the ones that would actualy look at him) had golden eyes. Soon he was lead to a large building that smelled of freashly cut flowers and freash baked bread. The small made Winter hungery, but that could wait for later.

After talking to a aprentice, atleast Winter thought that was what the girl who Night's Howl stopped was, he was shown to a room were he would wait for a sage while Night's Howl went to attend to some other pressing matters that he said needed his attention, though really it felt like he was beeing left here to fend for himself. Shrugging he sat down on the floor facing the door and Forest sat down next to him with her head in his lap as had become her habit.

John Winterwinds

Home?

------------

As they walked up the path to what must be the Stedding Forest could not help but laugh at Winter Winds, he could not walk a few miles without getting tired.

"Common, how do you expect to get anywhere if you cannot walk more then a few miles?" she finnaly said to him as he leaned on a brance he had gotten from a Two-legged which he was using for walking.

"I would get there, if after you sister" He replied with a smile, atleast his good humor was not going away. Winter then looked around and relised what Forest had known for a few moments, they were almost to the stedding. She walked a little faster and suddenly found she was walking alone, and Winter was feeling uneasy. Looking behind her she saw that Winter was just standing there staring into the forest infront of him.

Night's Howl must of said something that snapped him out of his daze for he suddenly sighed and said something int he human toung and came forward.

He caught up to Night's Howl and Forest in a few steps and they entered the Stedding. This time both Forest and Winter stopped as the feeling of peace swept over them. it was like nothing she had ever felt before, such a feeling of coming home.....

They soon snapped out of it and walked towards the center of the Stedding. What met Forest's eyes was what the humans called a "Village" a place with a bunch of atrifical shelters. The Two-Leggedes that were all around shocked Forest, their eyes were all golden, brothers and sisters like Winter. They were soon led to a large shelter that smelled of flowers, Nights howl talked to someone and they were led into a room inside while Night's Howl went on to other things. So they were to fend for themselves, atleast they were out of danger...or were they?

Winter walked over to the wall oposit the door and sit down, Forest followed and sat next to him, and put her head in his lap.

Had they found a home atlast?

Forest Shadow

Stray come home?

Rhya was disgruntled. It was the only word that fit her mood. Being sent to see Miryana because of a silly cut, no matter how deep, seemed like far too much fuss but she knew better than to argue with Owen over it. She'd been scolding herself for being so inattentive ever since.

The day had started well enough. She'd pottered in her herb garden for an hour so, playing with Shadow and clearing some of the weeds that had sprung up in the last few weeks before planning her next lot of planting. That was what had her musing away as she started preparing vegetables for the evening meal and almost cutting a finger off in her distraction.

Typically, with some kind of sixth sense, Owen had chosen that moment to walk into the house and he had packed her off to the Infirmary. "To prevent infection and see if it needs stitches" so he'd said. Rhya rolled her eyes in long suffering silence. They both knew enough of first aid to realise it wasn't that serious a cut but to the Sages she had gone anyway.

Pulling the door to treatment room closed behind her, Rhya noticed Erik leaving the building. She didn't know much about the Tracker, in spite of the days travelling with both him and Arienna. He was a reserved sort. He didn't really fit in the civilised confines of the Stedding village, appearing to her like some caged wild animal. She'd watched him speaking with Owen during the journey, comparing the two men and seeing as many similarities as there were differences. They both had something of a haunted look in their eyes, moving her to wonder if Erik's past was a troubled one.

Well, she thought, if Erik was here that means we have yet another new Wanderer. She was aware that Miryana had left after treating her, muttering something about "fool boys and stupid games", which meant Aislyn's expertise would be needed. The delicious smell of broth emanating from the kitchen, told Rhya all she needed to know and her tummy rumbled loudly in appreciation.

The door to the only other treatment room was slightly ajar so Rhya approached cautiously, pushing it open and poking her head round it. Sure enough, a young man who looked to be about her age occupied the room, seated on the floor with a wolf sitting close by him. Both looked more than a little lost, not to mention apprehensive. Her mood changed abruptly, small irritations forgotten in sympathy.

Moving carefully so as not to startle either of them, Rhya stepped into the room and became the focus for two pairs of cautious, watchful eyes.

“Hello, I’m Rhya. I saw Erik leaving so I guessed he just dropped you off. I’ll take you to see one of our Sages now.” Smiling, she added enticingly, “Aislyn’s been cooking and you look like you could use some good food.”

She didn’t bother asking their names or any other intrusive questions. She’d let Aislyn do that, certain that repeating the same information twice was the last thing the newcomer needed. The lad glanced briefly at his wolf companion as Rhya held the door open and she hastened to say, “I mean both of you of course. Bring your wolf friend too.”

The young man stood, unfolding to his full height and, though Rhya was tall enough, she had to look up to meet his gaze, taking in the long dark hair and pale skin only slightly weathered from being outdoors. He looked fit enough. No obvious injuries. Aislyn would be glad of that.

As he moved to follow her, the wolf at his heels, Rhya led the way along the corridor to the big homely kitchen, her mouth watering in anticipation. There was no way she was leaving without some of that broth!!

Rhya

Hungry

OOC: Winter, you can post again if you like, maybe give your reactions and thoughts, and then Aislyn will join us.

OOC: Alright  ;D

The sound of the door opeining the rest of the way made Winter look up and stare the women who walked in, he was about to ask if she was the sage he was suposed to see when she spoke, “Hello, I’m Rhya. I saw Erik leaving so I guessed he just dropped you off. I’ll take you to see one of our Sages now.” an apretince perhaps? “Aislyn’s been cooking and you look like you could use some good food.” food, he was hungery.

"Think I can come alone brother?" Forest sent from beside him, he glaced at her and back at Rhya,

“I mean both of you of course. Bring your wolf friend too.” she said with a smile.

Winter stood slowly, and though Rhya was tall he was atleast a hand higher then her so she had to look up at him. Rhya had been holding the door open and he gladly walked out, Forest at his heels he followed Rhya to the kitchen area, which was large, and smelt like freash soup. Mouth watering he took a step towards the food before he could controle himself, he then waited to be seen, a bad habit he had picked up after he had been stuffed into the servents quarters at his own house.

John Winterwinds

Hungery.

--------------

The sound of footsteps announced someone even before the young women opend the door, she appeared about the same age as Winter, who had by now noticed the new arival. Her sent, which Forest was able to pick out from the warm smells of the infurmary, was that of hard training and the metalic smell of blood. The smell of blood caused Forest to get a little more alert until she noticed the cut on the women's figure. The new arival said a few things, and Winter treanslated in a way and she was able to pick up they were going for food.

"Think I could come along brother?" She said to Winter, who then looked at her and then back at the new arival who seemed to say she could. They both got up which revield the fact that Winter was taller then the new arival. They both followed her out the door of the room they were in and down towards the area were the smell of food was comming from. When they got there Forest was surprised, since she had never seen were two-legs prepared their food, that it was a large room filled with tables and those small caves that held fire for cooking food. Winter took a step towards the food and then hesitated, unease and a memory from his time in that small room came though his bond to wolves. Forest could not help but go closer to him and put her head aginst his leg in an attempt to calm him down, his hand scrached behind her ears and she knew it was working...now, were was this elder they were supposed to meet? But, more importantly, was there any food?

Forest Shadow

Needs food, but also wants to know whats going on.

Aislyn looked up as someone came in the kitchen, recognising Rhya she smiled a welcome and then swiftly appraised the newcomer, no, newcomers as they padded in behind her. All had mouths watering from the fresh aroma's issuing from the covered trays of fresh bread and the bubbling stew on the stove.

Extending her smile to the newcomers, and a pleasant "Welcome" Aislyn gestured for them all to take a seat and busied herself serving up thick slices of fresh bread and butter and a large bowl of freshly cooked stew for each of the visitors.  For the wolf companion she placed a large bowl of fresh rabbit, caught only that morning.

"Tuck in, there's seconds if you want some. My name is Aislyn and I'm what's known as a Sage around these parts, oh and possibly the best cook too!" Aislyn said with a grin and took a place at the table herself. Surreptitiously she watched the young man and his companion as they ate, checking for any injuries and the like. Fortunately they both seemed to be injury free and have a healthy appetite to boot.

When they'd all eaten their fill. Aislyn cleared away the plates and then, returning to sit at the table, spoke to the new arrivals, addressing both equally.

"Welcome to the Stedding young ones. Please tell us a little about yourselves and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

Aislyn

Welcoming

"Welcome" the sound of a kind voice shook him from his thoughts of food, he looked over at the women who was offering him and Forest a warm smile, and he returned it not knowing what else to do. She then gestured for him to take a seat and put food in front of him, he waited though out of habit to see if it was alright for him to eat, the lady nodded and he dug in.

"Tuck in, there's seconds if you want some." She said with a warm smile, then she took a seat and said, "My name is Aislyn and I'm what's known as a Sage around these parts," then with a laugh "oh and possibly the best cook too!" So she was a sage, somehow he had expected her to look something like an Aes Sedai, what ever they looked like, but she could of passed to be his mother. She studied him as one would a horse to see if he had any injury as he ate, though he knew he had none. When he Rhya and Forest were done Aislyn cleared away the plates, then addressed him and Forest equally "Welcome to the Stedding young ones. Please tell us a little about yourselves and if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask."

He looked at Forest, noticing this she said, "You have told your story before, I think it is time for you to hear mine." Winter nodded.

Then projecting herself so that everyone could hear Forest started her tale.

"I am Forest Shadow, the youngest of a litter of 8 pups from the rotting lands." She remembered this time fondly from what was coming from her in the way of emotions, "I am the last of a pack of 5 wolves, who were killed in a raid by neverborn and the twisted." The pictures that went with the words were of the shadowspawn ripping though her pack, "I wandered for a while after that...and then stumbled into Winter Winds here...I watched him from afar for the other wolves thought him a danger, feral and waiting for a reason to show it." She looked at Winter, "Somehow...I knew they were wrong, so I continued to follow him until he was abandoned by his pack, and ran into the forest were I stumbled into him face to face...from there you will most likely hear from Night's Howl..." It was the longest she had spoken, though rather broken up, the story played though there minds like showing them what it had been like.

Forest looked then at Winter, "Your turn brother."

Winter nodded and then told his tale.

"There is not much to say about me, I am the son of a semi-successful trader, the youngest of 4 brothers, I was raised to take over the family business, which is reflected in how pale I am I guess..." He smiled slightly, "My brothers are all in the army, and I have not seen them for a few years."

He then pointed at his eyes "This....manifested during a trip to Andor for goods my father needed, I did not know what it is, and I still don't, but it is part of me none the less." He grew grim then, "For it, I was put in servants quarters, the rest of the world told I had died in a hunting accident, disowned by my family and shunned by the people I had called friend." Winter frowned, remembering the day he had left, "I most likely would of stayed there had it not been for the push out the door I got from the site of the town guard coming up the steps." Looking at Forest he continued, "Alone I almost froze to death before my sister here found me..." He then looked back at the Sage, "In the way of questions, what exactly happened to me?"

John Winterwinds/Forest Shadow

Two tales and a question.   

Aislyn took a deep breath and began in the gentlest way she knew how.

"All the people here are the same as you and we all have similar stories to tell of how we came to be here. You've probably noticed that your hearing, sense of smell and your sight have improved remarkably. None of us know why this happens, but all of us have experienced the rejection that occurs. No-one understands it, and as such they reject it and us. Even Aes Sedai are wary." She paused whilst she put the kettle on and offered her visitors Tea.

"Some time ago, this village was created in a Stedding for us to congregate in. We all stay here, it's relatively safe, it's hidden well and outsiders can't find it themselves. Some of us come and go, travelling for news, or to find newcomers such as yourself. We have our own little community here and we work hard to make every newcomer feel welcome and happy." She smiled warmly at Winter and Forest. "I see you've also found each other. We can all communicate to wolves to some extent or other, though it takes time to learn and many have found a wolf companion after some time here. You are lucky to have found Forest so early."

"Now you're fed and watered, we'll get you some quarters and find you some clean clothes, then we'll assign you a mentor to show you around and guide you. In fact, I will be your mentor, if you can put up with me?" She winked at Winter and smiled.

Winter listend to the explination with intrest, so they didnt even know what this was, though they seemed to of come to terms with it. She paused for a second to offer tea which Winter gladly accepted, it was cold outside, and even though he had been inside for a while he was still a little chilly.

She then went on to explain why village had formed here, and it made sence to Winter and to Forest who also listening with intrest.

"I see you've also found each other. We can all communicate to wolves to some extent or other, though it takes time to learn and many have found a wolf companion after some time here. You are lucky to have found Forest so early." she said with a warm smile that reminded Winter of days past, from before all this.

"Now you're fed and watered," She said with another warm smile "we'll get you some quarters and find you some clean clothes, then we'll assign you a mentor to show you around and guide you. In fact, I will be your mentor, if you can put up with me?" The offer ment more then she would know, Winter did not know who to trust...yet, though she had been kind and he thought he could trust her.

"I think its a good idea brother, she is kind and wise, we would do well to accept her offer." Forest said from beside Winter, and as usual she made alot of sence.

Smileing at the Sage Winter said, "I would be honored, and so would Forest if you showed us around." He gave no honorific or title, mostly from fear of embarising himself becuase he did not know what to call her.

Jonathan Winterwinds.

Knowlage is good.

-----------------------

Though Forest didnt know what was being said, from the emotions that came from Winter Winds it was mostly an explation on what had happend to him, or perhaps why he could talk to wolves. A sence of pride drifted from Winter, and from what she gleaned from him the Sage was talking about how lucky he was to of found him, or perhaps how lucky he had been that she had found him. Then, the sage offered to guide them around the Stedding and perhaps teach them. Winter did not know if he should accept, but Forest already knew the answer, "I think its a good idea brother, she is kind and wise, we would do well to accept her offer." He agreeded with her, and then told the Sage. Forest knew that they were in good hands with letting the Sage be their guide.

Forest Shadow.

Wisdome is not waisted on the young.

Having delivered the latest arrivals into Aislyn's care, Rhya dropped into one of the chairs at the huge table in the centre of the kitchen. As in most houses, the kitchen was the Infirmary's central hub around which all other activity buzzed. Today surprisingly, there was no steady stream of through traffic and Rhya applied herself to demolishing the wondrous stew that the Sage had prepared, listening with only half an ear to all the explanations.

Eventually she sat back with a satisfied sigh, replete with the hot food and feeling quite content in the warmth of the room. Catching the almost bashful expression on the lad's face, she stage whispered to him.

"It's ok, you can call her Aislyn. She only bites on Tuesdays and not normally new folks. Sage is a general honorific but not one that's used often," Rhya winked broadly, highly amused with herself and knowing that Aislyn wouldn't mind. Indeed, the older woman had a rather tolerant twinkle in her eyes as Rhya spoke. Winter finally let out a hesitant laugh and Rhya stood then continued, "Well, now that you have such a wonderful mentor and I've finished eating, I'll let you two... sorry... three, carry on. I'd best be getting back to the tree house or Owen will be thinking I needed major surgery."

On impulse, deciding that there was something she rather liked about Winter and his companion, she added as she reached the door, "Once you know your way around, stop by to visit us Winter. Bring Forest too. I'm sure Shadow and Ice would like to meet her."

With that, Rhya was gone, quite certain that this Wanderer and his wolf were not going to be such a headache as Arienna.

Rhya

Good deed done for the day

OOC: Thanks guys. I'll leave you to finish up. Winter has more than done enough for this section, so it's up to you how much more you both want to write.

OOC: Well, one last post for me I guess to wrap it up, then off to other threads I guess  ;D

Watchout Wolfkin, Winter and Forest have been set loose. Reall, I think this needs just one more post which would be showing John and Forest a room they can stay in.

IC:

Winter yawned, the food had made him remember the wearyness that had crept overhim from travel, the thought of a nice bed was rather inviting. He was snapped out of his thoughts by Rhya.

"It's ok, you can call her Aislyn. She only bites on Tuesdays and not normally new folks." she said in a whisper that sounded alot like a restrained laugh, "Sage is a general honorific but not one that's used often," She winked at him, and seemed amused, to which he laughed at, she was nice, and he had needed a laugh. She then stood and said "Well, now that you have such a wonderful mentor and I've finished eating, I'll let you two... sorry... three, carry on. I'd best be getting back to the tree house or Owen will be thinking I needed major surgery." Winter laughed again, though he did not know Owen he sounded like a rather pertective persion, to which he could relate with Forest. She then headed for the door, and was right about to exit when she added, as if almost an afterthought "Once you know your way around, stop by to visit us Winter. Bring Forest too. I'm sure Shadow and Ice would like to meet her." And then she was gone."

A few seconds of quiet passed between the three still in the room, Winter gave another yawn, to which Forest added one.

"Stop it, you are makeing me tired too.." Forest said beside him with another, rather large, yawn.

Winter looked at the Sage and said, "I do not mean to be rude, but, I think me and Forest are bolth quite tired, if it is not to much trouble, can we find a place for us to sleep?" He said, then added with a laugh, "Though, I think we could fall asleep here and just take a nap, but I think the others who come into the kitchen wouldnt like that."

Jonathan Winterwinds

Tired.

Aislyn gave an amused chuckle at Rhya's comments and then watched her leave with a fond twinkle in her eyes. Bring herself back to the present, Aislyn rose at the joint yawns and smiled.

"Come on you two, lets get you set up into your quarters. You're right that people who wok in this kitchen wouldn't be pleased to find the two of you snoring away in the middle of their kitchen." She laughed as she said it and gestured for them to follow her.

Leading them out of the kitchen and out of the Infirmary, she approached a modest cottage adjacent to the Infirmary. Turning to the two followers, she spoke. "This is my cottage. You can stay in my spare room until you find your feet and your own place here. That way, if you have anything to ask me or need me for any reason, I won't be too far away." Whilst she was talking she let herself into her cottage, kept tidy as always.

The kitchen is through there, the living room is through here and your bedroom is up here." She led the way upstairs to a small room off a corridor. "Here is your room, there's a small bathroom adjoining it through that door. In there you'll find fresh towels in case you want to wash before you go to bed." The room was plainly furnished but comfortable for all that. It consisted of a bed, wardrobe, small chest of drawers and a vase of fresh flowers. A small painting adorned one wall and pale blue curtains flapped at the open window. The bed linen was plain and faded but clean, and a fresh smell permeated throughout the room.

"I'll leave you to it" Aislyn said. "I'll be in the infirmary a while longer if you need me. There are some clean clothes in the drawers and wardrobe, you should be able to find some that will fit. Until tomorrow then." Aislyn smiled and left, humming to herself.

Aislyn

Providing warmth and comfort

Winter and Forest followed Aislyn from the Infirmary to a small cottage that was about two stories and looked nice, "This is my cottage. You can stay in my spare room until you find your feet and your own place here. That way, if you have anything to ask me or need me for any reason, I won't be too far away." She then opened the door. Inside was clean, warm, and looked well looked after. The Sage then pointed to a few rooms and then pointed up the stairs, "Your room is up here." She said, then led them up the stair to a door, and opened it.

"Here is your room, there's a small bathroom adjoining it through that door. In there you'll find fresh towels in case you want to wash before you go to bed." The room was, well more then he had hoped for, it was not to large, small enough to not be called a large room, but big enough to walk around in. The bed looked comfortable, and clean. A picture adorned one of  the walls, a nice though old painting of a forest in winter.

"I'll leave you to it" Aislyn said with a smile, "I'll be in the infirmary a while longer if you need me. There are some clean clothes in the drawers and wardrobe, you should be able to find some that will fit. Until tomorrow then." With that she left, humming happily.

Winter stood there for a second and took in the room, and just smiled truly for the first time in a while. But then he got down to what needed to be done, mostly getting clean. He went to the wardrobe and found a few things that fit, a nice white wool shirt, a pair of pants, and a cloak that must of been left from who ever had used the room last that was a rich dark green. Taking the clothing he went to the bathroom and washed up, changed his clothes and let his shoulder lenght hair down for the first time in weeks. When he came out of the bathroom Forest hardly knew who he was, well she did but she said he looked a lot better without the dirt. Smiling he closed the window and curtains, and climbed into bed.

As he started to drift off Forest jumped up next to him, being small enough for that, and curled up at his feet after saying, "Good night brother....and you are right, this is better then a forest floor"

Jonathan Winterwinds & Forest Shadow

Warm, and sleeping.

• 1 year later...