DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Top Movies of 2008

Emperor

One thing I hate about Norway is that all the oscar-bait movies that get released november/december over in the states get here around february or march, something which has lead to my descent into (I'm sorry movie business) piracy :( But hey, I do pretty much end up buying as many films as I can on my limited ammount of money, so I'm not all rotten. And whenever BIFF (Bergen International Film Festival, WOOOO) comes around I go crazy.

Emp.

Bucket List was actually pretty good.  A bit on the touchy touchy side, but pretty funny too.  And Mummy 3:TotDE would have been better if they had kept the same Evy.  But, as long as you don't expect too much out of it, it was okay.  Definitely not as obnoxious as the whole Crystal Skull thingy.  ;)

Updated again...

1. Let The Right One In

2. The Baader Meinhof Complex

3. Slumdog Millionaire

4. The Dark Knight

5. The Wrestler

6. Vicky Christina Barcelona

7. In Bruges

8. Arn - The Kingdom At Roads End

9. Everlasting Moments

10. Iron Man

Empy, happy now that The Other Boleyn Girl fell out of the list? ;D

I think you would like at least three of those four forum( ;D) flicks.

Let The Right One In, despite mainly being a movie about love, it is quite possibly the best vampire movie ever made.

Arn, Think Kingdom Of Heaven, but good, and without that annoying Bloom-brat. With a conclusion that is a Swedish version of Breaveheart, but better.

Baader-Meinhof Complex, Ten years of German terrorism squeezed into a movie. There are no attempts to explain the motivations, or any of that kind of things, the movie expects you to have some idea of what is going on, and thus happily focuses on assassinations, explosions, shootouts and all that juicy stuff.

Everlasting Moments...Well, if you enjoy Bergman, you would like this...

Ok you sold me on Arn. 

And then I go to netflix to add it and it is nowhere to be found.  I even looked up the foreign title. 

You don't need to sell me on Right One.  I am more excited about this movie than any I have seen so far this year.

It may be that Arn takes a bit longer to reach the US, because while it is a good story, and a good movie (well, movies, since it is the sequel to Arn - The Knight Templar released last year), it has quite a strong focus on a part of Swedish history, and that might keep back interest outside Scandinavia.

• 3 weeks later...

1. Slumdog Millionaire

2. The Visitor

3. Dark Knight

4. Frost/Nixon

5. The Wrestler

6. Wall-E

7. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

8. In Bruges

9. Iron Man

10. The Reader

I have now seen all the movies nominated for best picture and actor. 

Yet to see....

Doubt

Let the Right One In

Vicky Cristina Barcelona

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't see that many movies in 2008, so my list only goes up to seven.

1. Slumdog Millionaire

2. The Visitor

3. Wall-E

4. Dark Knight

5. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

6. The Wrestler

7. Iron Man

I'm really starting to hate the local movie theater here. They dropped all of the Oscar nominees from their list of movies playing in favor of crap like "The Pink Panther 2" (playing on TWO SCREENS!) and "Hotel for Dogs". I looked up the list of what's playing there on Rotten Tomatoes and 12 of the 14 playing have a rating under 40%. Either the theater owners are morons or the people living here have the most pathetic taste in movies I've ever encountered.

• Community Administrator

You kidding me? I thought the prices alone would have been a bigger issue.

Jeesh, freaking $16 bucks for 1 person! (ticket $8, and $8 for pop+popcorn) I mean... DAMN!

Thats $32 if you bring a date!

IF your working minimum wage, thats nearly an entire days wage! :P

• 4 weeks later...

1. Slumdog Millionaire

2. The Visitor

3. Dark Knight

4. Doubt

5. Frost/Nixon

6. The Wrestler

7. Let the Right One In

8. Wall-E

9. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

10. In Bruges

Honorable Mentions: The Reader, Iron Man, Traitor, Vicky Cristina Barcelona, Forgetting Sarah Marshall

Still possible to reach top 10: Rachel Getting Married, Happy Go Lucky

Archived