DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MUSIC!!!!!

Cockta

Oh btw i can't remember who asked, but the american soldiers heard Heavy metal just before they entered Iraq.
I read somewhere that during Vietnam that the Americans would put huge speakers on thier tanks and ride into battle listening to Led Zeppelin II. Mainly "Whole Lotta Love". Ironic, huh?
So, given how Iraq and Vietnam turned out, one wonders what must be listened to in order for things not to turn into a disaster?

So, given how Iraq and Vietnam turned out, one wonders what must be listened to in order for things not to turn into a disaster?
id say that it was more poor leadership rather then what music the common frontline troops listened to.
Why spoil a perfectly good theory?

It would be more of a pick-up song for after the battle, but with thoughts of their women, 'Fix You' by Coldplay would be a wonderful song.
If anyone had played me Coldplay in the aftermath of a battle, I would have shot them. And, many years later, I would wonder how I could have heard Coldplay several years before anyone in the band was born...

I actually don't think music helps your performance in something as complex as battle. If the activity you are doing is rhythm based, like just running, or even basketball to some extent, perhaps a beat will help.

As far as battle goes, maybe marching and keeping a particular formation could use some audible cues, but as you might see, that's a functional use of sound.

I've played rugby for years now, and I find that I usually don't do as well when I have some song stuck in my head as a distraction. Maybe doing drills during training it is not so bad, but in an actual match you have to focus on details and unnecessary noise is a hindrance. The real rhythm you have to pay attention to is the rhythm of everyone around you; your team, the opposition. You have to synchronize with your people and disrupt the opposition's awareness of one another and you.

So loud obnoxious music may seem good for a video game, or as an edited soundtrack in a movie, but when your life is on the line, you really need to shut out the noises and focus on your environment.

id say that it was more poor leadership rather then what music the common frontline troops listened to.

Haha, I'll agree. You have to admit though...maybe a song change MAY have improved things....at least a little.

Haha, I'll agree. You have to admit though...maybe a song change MAY have improved things....at least a little.
Maybe the next time the US starts a war, they could try an experiment - play different tunes to different units, and see how this affects performance.

i'll go ahead and change topic just a little.

in The 4th Age Podcast - Episode 43 we got to hear the music for "Dance with Jak o’the Shadows" and i want to know if there is any chance to hear the tunes for some of the other songs, like the Aiels "Wash the spears"

There is a board for asking the podcast people about their shows, I think asking there is recommended.

Of course, while I do not listen to the podcast, I am going to go out and make a guess that it is their own interpretation of what the music might sound like, as I have never heard of RJ giving any detailed descriptions.

One would hope that we are done invading places; talk about not learning anything from history.  I guess the better question for Mr Ares is what the heck were JFK, LBJ, and the Bushes listening to when they decided to invade (or continue)?  Somewhere along the lines of "Onward Christian Soldiers".

Archived