DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ToNT - A Fairytale of New York by The Pogues/Kirsty MacCall (8th -->15th Dec 08)

Corki

Is A Fairytale of New York a Tune??  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is A Fairytale of New York a Tune??

• TUNE!!!!
    • NO TUNE!!!!

With Christmas jsut 17 days away, it's time to the festive feel to "Tune or No Tune" as Christmas songs are chosen. "Tune or No Tune" is a very simple and enjoyable event. All you need to do is decide whether the song I have chosen is a TUNE (i.e. you love it) or a NO TUNE (i.e. you hate it). Quite simple!

This week, we are heading back to 1987 and one of the all time Christmas Classics. This song is frequently chosen as the greatest Christmas song, with it topping the VH1 UK polls in 2004, 2005 and 2006. It has also reached the top 10 of the UK charts 4 times since its release, including 3 times in succession - a boast no other single can make. Yet it has never reached the top spot! I am, of course, talking about A Fairytale of New York, performed by The Pogues and the late Kirsty MacCall.

The song is interestingly put together, starting off with a drunk reminiscing on Christmas Eve about past holidays sung by Shane MacGowen (what teeth!). An old man then joins the drunk, singing a part of Irish drinking ballad "The Rare Old Mountain Dew". The drunk then moves onto singing about a failed relationship. MacColl then enters the song, which moves into a dialogue, as MacColl and MacGowen bicker about their youthful hopes crushed by alcoholism and drug addiction.

It's a very clever song, with MacColl's voice softening the roughness of MacGowern's. I can't think how any other female voice could do the role, even if MacColl was not the intended singer in the first place. It's just a magical song, and most definitely a TUNE, and a Christmas great.

For those of you who haven't heard the song, here is a link to YouTube.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NrAwK9juhhY

The poll closes in a week's time, which is Monday 15th December 2008. So make sure you vote now before the time for the latest "Tune or No Tune" poll finishes!

Also, if you want to suggest a tune for "Tune or No Tune", do not hesitate to drop me a PM.

You WOULD!!.... Mmfflbumblllfffmf.... Sleeths off Neylwwwwkkk..... Those ain't so bad to remember..  ;D

Never been much of a bums staggerin about beggin for chump change performances... lol.. I know the guys considered a genius in Angle Land... But I got a guy down the corner who does about as good... 8)

no tune

Archived