DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

CotL Philosophy class - To be or not to be.... what a boring question :P

Nynaeve

Lesson 1

"The penalty for Darkfriends is death. You must yield no compassion, show no mercy, feel no regrets. You have served the light." Ezekiel took off his glasses slowly, pausing for a moment. "We are not all seeing. At times we are blind to the truth, but with the right assistance, with great numbers...", Ezekiel put his glasses back on, "We can see. See, find and root out the evil." Pacing to the right, Ezekiel inspected all the new initiates in front of him.

"We are surrounded by foes. Some human. Some less. The creator put us on this earth to walk in his path, with him illuminating our way. We are in his debt and it is our duty to dispose of the ones who deny him, so we can keep true to his name." Ezekiel leaned back on his desk, awaiting for the initiates' murmurs to die off. "We have but one mission. We must defeat the shadow. We must purify the nations." Ezekiel pointed at the sun decorating the side of his chest. "The sun names us. We are the Children of the Light."

"Our definition of Darkfriends is very precise. There are no mistakes. The use of the filthy power the witches wield is a clear sign for walking in the shadow's path. They challenge the creator with their power and abilities. They dare compare themselves to the greatness of the creator, and that cannot be forgiven. They are without a doubt in league with the Dark one, even though some in our ranks are less convinced. Never trust a word that comes out of a witch's filthy mouth. They claim they can only speak the truth, but even so, they are conniving women with an unnatural ability to twist the truth to their advantage."

Ezekiel shook his head and moved on. "There are six words you must remember. Peace, faith, aid, duty, honor and obedience. Memorize them. Study them. I want a report from each of you listing what every one of those words mean in general and what they mean to you specifically. Which is more important? Do we, at times, bend one to salvage the other? Think about it. Open your minds and you will find all the answers to these questions. You may begin writing down your thoughts now under my charge. Once an hour is complete you may leave for your other duties, but I expect the reports on my desk tomorrow when we continue with the lesson."

Ezekiel

Questioner

Sharina had said nothing, listening intently to Ezekiel as he explained what the Children stood for. There were a couple of things that didn't quite fit her point of view, of course, but she figured it was normal for the Children to have some difference of opinion about one rule or another. It was only natural.

Still, there was one thing she had been wondering about. During the time she had spent helping her parents out back in Sienda, there had been some trouble with the Children on occasion, with them claiming the herbs they used to heal people to be witchcraft, and the work of the Dark One. It was complete rubbish, of course, but she'd feel a lot better if that were to be dismissed in class. Raising her arm, she waited for Ezekiel to give her permission to speak.

- "Sir? Both my parents are herbalists, and every once in a while there'd be Children claiming what we did was witchcraft. But we have classes in herbs here as well, and from firsthand experience i know it's the same as what i've been doing back in Sienda. So... which is it?"

She had her hands folded on her lap, though the pen was within easy reach. She wanted to get started on the assignment right away, though she needed to get the question burning in her mind out of the way first before she could focus her full attention on the blank sheet of parchment in front of her. Asking a question and then not bothering to listen to the answer would be rude after all.

Sharina

Awaiting an answer

• 2 weeks later...

IC:

"Sir? Both my parents are herbalists, and every once in a while there'd be Children claiming what we did was witchcraft. But we have classes in herbs here as well, and from firsthand experience i know it's the same as what I've been doing back in Sienda. So... which is it?"

Ezekiel quirked an eyebrow. "We acknowledge the healing capabilities of herbs, no doubt. Hence the lessons for basic use. But when medicine seems too miraculous and saves the life of a person that was designated to die, it is a clear indication that amongst the healers there is one, if not more, that indulge in witchcraft. There's a huge difference between using medicine to cure a troubled stomach than healing broken bones in a matter of moments. Surely you can make that distinction yourself, recruit. Now start on that essay. I will not accept an uncompleted one."

OOC: next class will be posted in a couple of days. Questions are welcomed, though Ezekiel will answer them with much annoyance, no doubt  ^_^

Ezekiel

Questionere

Sharina nodded, content at Ezekiel answering her question, though she felt reassured by the fact that he had spoken it out loud in the middle of class. She knew from firsthand experience what herbs were capable of, and this would provide her with a solid backing to correct another Child of the Light in case he believed herbal lore to be a little too miraculous. People were wary of the unknown after all, and some sought to blame other people for their misfortune faster than others.

She started writing on her parchment. Peace. To her, it meant more than not being at war, it meant being able to live without fear. That all people could get along, and be open minded about new things rather than condemn them on sight. It was perhaps a little idealistic of her to think that, but that was what she believed. She believed her task as a Child of the Light was to help solve arguments between the people, and in doing so prevent them from falling to the Shadow in the first place.

The next word was Faith. She paused for a second, and wrote that it meant faith in the Creator, Origin of the Light that brought life, and gave the Children their name. If people just simply believed that with some hard work all would turn out well in the end, they'd be a lot happier with who they were. More accepting of their faults, and more positive about what the future might bring. She sent a silent prayer up to the Creator in hopes that he would help her spread her message among the people.

Aid was a relatively simple one. It was the task of the Children to aid those in need, and not turn a blind eye to those in trouble. Aid was a necessity in order to keep Darkfriends from gaining a foothold in Amadicia, and it should not be overlooked. Aid was what gained people's trust, and would ultimately give them hopes that turning to the Children would be in their best interests. People were inherently good, they just needed a little encouragement every once in a while since they'd tend to forget it on occasion. Then came Duty, but she would be getting to that later.

Honor was another one that was important to her. Regardless of what her actions would be, no matter where her path would take her, first and foremost would be that she would do nothing she wouldn't be able to look herself in the mirror for. Without honor, there would be no pride, and as a logical result she would no longer be able to wear the uniform of the Children with pride either. Honor was something no one, especially the Children of the Light, would be able to go without.

Last was Obedience, and Sharina couldn't suppress a wince when she noticed how... unimportant it looked compared to the first four. Sure, obedience was good, but blind obedience wasn't. Honor, Aid, Faith, Peace... Even Duty went above obedience in her list. It made her feel somewhat embarrassed, but obedience was just... well, following orders.

She had kept Duty to the last. Dipping her feather pen in the ink, she wrote down that duty was the combination of all the words combined. Peace as the ultimate goal of the Children of the Light. Honor in pursuing that goal. Faith in being able to achieve it. Aid they would bring to those following the Light in the battle against the Shadow. That was their duty not just as Children, but as followers of the Light. Oh, and obedience to superior officers that they might all be placed where they'd do the most good, of course.

Sharina

Just finished her essay

Essaul paid attention to the lecture without being distracted by Sharina's mention of Herbs. Shuddering he remembered that class and how it made him stand out for his mistakes. Vowing to not stand out this time he made notes on the topic studiously.

Peace - This is a pattern of calmness and relaxation. This also means a lack of attention sometimes on what can be udnerlying this Peace. Vile acts could still occur during this time unnoticed.

Faith - Foundation for life's beliefs and principles. To Essaul this meant believing in good and evil with good being the main force in combatting evil.

Aid - To help someone. Joining the children allows me to fight Evil and promote good.

Duty - Solemn performance of tasks. Good must prevail or evil will intrude and wreck society.

Honor - Justifiance of duty. Honor is earned through actions and respect. Steadfast resolve in fighting evil will raise your respect and alas your honor increases.

Obedience - Responding to orders and philosphy without fail. Good requires a solmen obedience to restore order and keep evil from winning the battle.

• 1 month later...

Lydia was enraptured as Ezekiel gave his lecture.  Her time in the Fortress of the Light thus far had been a whirlwind of physical training, chores, and so forth; this was her first chance to put her new-found writing skills to use.

And for what a glorious reason to use these skills!  Never in her wildest dreams could she have imagined such a discourse offered so casually to the average Child; even though she was learning new things all the time, she still considered philosophy to be a pursuit for intellectuals.

Peace.  Faith.  Aid.  Duty.  Honor.  Obedience.  How to define them?  And yet, she had to try.  Writing in large, careful letters, Lydia hoped that spelling wouldn’t be held against her:

<i>Peace: </i> When there is no war or warring.  It is a time of harmony and understanding between people.  To me, this is the ideal state of being, and something to strive for at all costs.

<i>Faith: </i> Belief in something higher than yourself, whether it be an organization such as the Children of the Light, or what they stand for – the Light.  To me, this is something that we should share and instill in others, that they might find greater joy of the Creator in the Light.

<i>Aid: </i> In the simplest of terms, help or assistance.  To me, this is what the Children of the Light do for others who are less fortunate, whether it be protecting them from Darkfriends, or whatever is needed.

<i>Duty: </i> An obligation, or a job to do.  To me, my duty is to serve the Light and protect the people of the world from Darkfriends, and to be the best Child I am able to be.

<i>Honor: </i> Honor is doing what is right and proper.  For me, it is an honor to be a Child of the Light, and to be entrusted with the sacred duty of protecting the sanctity of the Light.

<i>Obedience: </i> At the core, this is simply means obeying the rules laid before a person.  Obedience is very important in an organization, and it’s mete and proper to follow the rules so that an organization’s business might be carried on in a prompt and efficient manner.

Shaking out her arm, Lydia frowned at what she had written, and hoped that it would suffice.

• 1 month later...

Lesson 2

IC:

Ezekiel walked into the class room, picked up the pile of papers that sat on his desk and tucked them neatly into his bag. He was most interested to see what the young minds of the Children of the Light held. It was a good indication for quality, potential and purpose. Ezekiel could usually make out at least some of the recruits that will undoubtedly end up in the Hand. Only the most devoted would find entrance into the group that Ezekiel found most prestigious and righteous.

"I will survey your essays later today and evaluate them. If I have any feedback, I will share it in the next class. As for now, I will share my view on this matter, in hopes to give you all a new prospective or reaffirm your own notions." Leaning back on the board, Ezekiel gave the recruits a few moments to quiet down before he went on.

"The Children of the Light represent many things. One of those is peace. We are by no means harbingers of war. On the contrary. We wish to end conflicts rather then create them and we try to do it as peacefully as possible. Violance is always the last resort. Although it is, at times, required." Ezekiel paused so that his words would sink in.

"In these times of evil it is The Children of the light who restore faith in the light to the people. We inspire people to act for the good of all. We never act for our own benefit. Faith is our gift to the people and it is what keeps them afloat. That in itself is enough to hold off the corruption and prevent despair to roam free among us." Ezekiel removed his glasses and started cleaning them as he went on.

"But to provide others with faith we must first possess it ourselves. It is through our faith that we draw strength to battle our foes. The life and will we were granted are all the tools we need to devote our lives to fight the shadow. Think of our faith as the light that guides us. It compels us to fight. To battle all the evil that is driven by greed, ambition and malicious intent. Traits that we must never possess." Ezekiel put his glasses back on and started pacing around the room.

"The challenges that we face are numerous. Our foes have many allies, each with its own specialties and abilities. But no matter what enemy crosses our path we shall always stay true to the cause. We must always remain true to our duty. Even when reality threatens to break us, even (and especially) if we're outnumbered and overpowered, we shall not break. When you swear to take this route, you walk it until it ends, or until we do. We walk in the light. Through life and death."

OOC: sorry for the long long long wait. Finals and stuff. Totally my bad. Post your impression of Ezekiel's words and how your characters feel about it. Then I'll post the second part of lesson 2 :)

Ezekiel

loonytoon

• 1 year later...