DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tournament Signups (Open)

Covai Seriba

Covai rubbed the stubble on his chin while he looked at the notice he had put up at the Inn. He had been toying around with this idea for a while, but had only recently found the focus to put it together into a coherent structure. Had had passed the word along to the other Storm and Attack Leaders to get the message out, but it would still be interesting to see who turned up, and just what would come out of his little idea.

Passing the hammer back to the inn boy, the Storm Leader picked his tankard and made his way outside. He had stood there long enough to draw attention to what he was doing, so now all he had to do was wait. The announcement would be clear enough....

Attention all channelers of the Black Tower

To mark the anniversary of the Dragon's Amnesty, a tournament will be held Jarron Al'Tanin's Honour.

The tournament will be open to all ranks, and will cover all areas and uses of Saidin. Participants will be ranked not just by strength and skill, but by their ability to discover new and more advanced uses for the One Power.

All interested parties are to contact Storm Leader Covai Seriba to indicate their willingness to participate. Further details will then be provided to those competing.

OOC: Covai will be sitting just outside of the inn finishing his drink for those who want to come sign up  ;)

Ze'el was drinking in the Inn when he saw the Storm Leader hammering something up onto the wall. It wasn't an uncommon event, the Storm Leader was known to do odd things. Sometimes Ze'el thought that the man might be slightly affected by the Taint, but when you dug a little deeper you could see very clearly that the man was sharper than a blade made from the Power. Covai Seriba was a very strong channeler, and he had more experience than most of the Tower put together, but the real danger lay in his wit. The man was smart, very smart, and his playful exterior just made more people underestimate him.

Normally he would ignore whatever was on there, but the fact that it was the Storm Leader who posted it made him a little more wary. Common sense told him that it was very likely that the notice was just some sort of game or other odd thing Covai came up with, but the caution that Ze'el lived by made him check it, just in case. Scanning over the paper, Ze'el nearly scoffed and turned away. He had seen the so called 'competitions', and they were really just a bunch of men all fighting to see who was the 'best'. Ze'el didn't need to join in the foolery, but the "ability to discover more uses of the One Power" made him curious. If he was honest with himself at least on some level he didn't want to compete because he knew that just about every man in the Tower was stronger and more skilled in the Power than he, but if it was a test of creativity...

The more he thought about it, the more the idea appealed. He had wanted to come up with creative uses of the Power to make up for his weakness, and here was exactly what he needed. Plus, ever since the battle in the borderlands, the Dedicated had realized that he was no match for some of the creatures out there. Just a couple of weeks ago he had scoffed at the Storm Leader's idea of training, but now he realized that the man truly did know what he was doing. The Asha'man would train him well, and that was quite frankly what he needed. Making up his mind, Ze'el headed for the door of the Inn, where the Storm Leader had went.

He quickly went over his plan of action in his head. He wanted to appear more confident than he had when he first arrived at the Tower, but he didn't want to overdo it either. He spotted the Storm Leader and made his way to him, seeming slightly hesitant. When he got to the man, he bit his lip slightly before stating clearly, if softly: "Kassian Loreen sir, here to sign up for the tournament."

As Toram was heading out from the Inn he seen that there was a notice on the wall. Hmmmm... A tournament huh? That could be fun to watch. I'd like to join but I don't really know any weaves except that one that Tai showed me... Although maybe I could get someone to show me a couple before it happens.

Walking outside he went in search of a friendly Asha'man or Dedicated to teach him a couple weaves. But instead, almost ran into the Storm Leader while being lost in thought, thinking about what could possibly be new and advanced ways to use the Power. "Sorry about that sir, I was lost in thought and didn't see you there," a suddenly nervous Toram said. " I was on my way to find someone who might be able to teach me some things to do with the power." Light, I hope that he doesn't berate me for not being more careful. It was then that Toram had a thought that made him hope that the taint hadn't affected him this soon. "Ummm... maybe you could teach me a couple of weaves sir?" Toram asked with hope in his voice.

Sereth was going to the inn for a nice glass of mulled wine, but was caught by the hammering of Storm Leader Seriba. Always one to note the oddities, he approached the sign when the man had finished. A tournament? This could be interesting. Perhaps I could make an appearance... This thought in mind, he entered the quickly busying inn, and laughed to himself. Of course there are those far more eager than I. He resolved himself to waiting, knowing that there were far more interested, not to mention physically mroe imposing figures, in the crowd. Particularly a young andorian with shoulders at least an axe handle across, That one was a smith...

Finally finding a path to the Storm Leader, Sereth offered him his grin. "Sir, Asha'man Sereth Arian. You are looking much better since Shienar." His smile faltered as he relized what he had said, and he scratched the back of his neck, "Er, sorry to bring it up, terrible habit of mine. Be it the taint or that bloody battle I can't seem to talk about anything fun these days, well, they are fun for me, but not others. You see..." He took a deep breath, "I'm ranting again, sorry. Safe to say I'm interested in the tournament."

Martyn read the notice, wondering if he would join or not. He had heard of some cases where people started channeling after being in danger -- Light, he was one of those people himself! -- and as long as he could get himself to grasp saidin holding onto it wasn't much of a problem. He'd have to think about it though, maybe weigh the pros and cons over some mulled wine.

Once there, he noticed Covai sitting a bit further away, and watched as first Kassian, then Toram and Sereth talk to the man. He couldn't hear what was being said over the general clamor of the common room, but figured that they had all come to see the Storm Leader to sign up. Finishing the last of his wine, he leaned back a bit, already considering the competition. There were bound to be full rank Asha'men joining as well, maybe some of the officers wanting to show the 'rookies' how it was done. In all, it should be interesting enough from the sidelines.

And with that, he made up his mind, remaining seated where he was. Regardless of the trouble he still had trying to channel, he could still see the weaves, and watched the Soldiers and Dedicated train to learn new patterns of Fire, Earth, Spirit, even some of Air and Water -- though it was mostly the full Asha'men that could be seen using those elements. Though he wouldn't be participating himself, he wouldn't want to miss this opportunity at seeing some of the... inventiveness of his fellow Black Tower members. He might even pick up a thing or two himself.

Martyn

What's a tourney without an audience? ;)

Tai sat staring at the flames thinking of his trip to the Band. Lost in thought it took him a moment to realize there was some pounding sound going on nearby. Glancing across the room he saw Storm Leader Covai hammering something to the wall of the Inn. Slowly he got up and walked over.

Attention all channelers of the Black Tower

To mark the anniversary of the Dragon's Amnesty, a tournament will be held Jarron Al'Tanin's Honour.

The tournament will be open to all ranks, and will cover all areas and uses of Saidin. Participants will be ranked not just by strength and skill, but by their ability to discover new and more advanced uses for the One Power.

All interested parties are to contact Storm Leader Covai Seriba to indicate their willingness to participate. Further details will then be provided to those competing.

Well this should be interesting. Tai followed Covai outside with his own mug of spiced wine, grinning, and waited his turn to speak to the man. He wanted details.

Covai hid his grin by busying himself in his tankard. Five people in just as many minutes. Not a bad start. He guessed he'd have to make sure he put up more notices during meal times. Placing his drink on the ground next to him the Storm Leader brought himself up to full height as he stretched. He nodded his acknowledgement to Toram's question, but there were too many people to answer at the moment. He hoped the man got the hint and would wait a bit to get his answer. He'd give him a nudge in the right direction, but that was all he could do.

"Alright, its good to see you men are so eager for this. I'll go over the basic rules for you. Each round will consist of a series of tasks or goals. You will be scored both on your control over the elements, and the way you use them. For example, the first round will require you each to light a flame from a distance, without using the element of fire in your weaves." Covai grinned as he let the thought sink in.

"Thats right, and each round is going to get worse, or better depending. You will all be pushing to discover new ways to use your ability to channel Saidin. Its been thousands of years since men like us have had the freedom to develop our skills, and there's a lot thats been lost as time has gone on. Safe to say you will most likely NOT be allowed to use the most obvious element to do the task."

"The first round begins tomorrow morning. Be at the training grounds at sunrise if you're still participating. Any questions before that?"

Light a fire at a distance without using fire? I haven't even lit a candle sitting in front of me yet! I think it would be best if I just sat this one out and just watched for this tournament, and maybe I will have enough skill to participate in the next one...if there is a next one.

Walking up to the Storm Leader Toram says hesitantly, "Ummm sir I think that I will just watch this one. I would like to join it but I don't think that my abilities are good enough yet. I mean there isn't even another Soldier out here. Sorry to waste your time sir."

Toram then walked over to the side of the inn and sat down watching and listening to the others that likely would be participating. Light but I wish that I was better at what I am now able to do.

Arath leaned against a nearby tree, watching the crowd as they listened to Covai.  His words made quite a stir among them.  "Light a candle without fire?" "Is he crazy?"  "Are we going to have to raise the dead too?"  Arath chuckled softly to himself.  Some people had no imagination.

He had been debating for a while on whether or not he would join in the tournament.  On the one hand, it might be unfair for someone of his rank and ability to enter in among the dedicateds and soldiers.  On the other hand, this whole tournament was more an excuse to try new things, and challenge people's way of thinking.  To make the Asha'man more creative.  And a little challenge never hurt anyone.

Pushing off of his tree, Arath meandered over to Covai, who was quite happily ignoring the many questions being thrown at him.  "I don't suppose there's any harm in me joining?  Give the new guys a run for their money?"

Covai grinned. "Only to people's pride." Scratching the bad of his head, he had thought about how to set up the competing order. He figured Soldiers, Dedicated then Asha'man would be best. If Arath was competing as well it would have to be that way. The man would probably embarrass half the soldiers out of competing in the first round.

Downing the rest of his tankard, he held it out hopefully to the Attack Leader. "Don't suppose you could grab me another, looking like I'm going to be here a while" Covai nodded towards the line that was growing around the Tavern. The last time he had seen a crowd form this quickly was when he made a joke about having some new Domani serving girls. Light, he had had to hide in his quarters for a week to escape the aftemath of that failed joke. Speaking of which...

"You up for another trip to Arad Doman later? I've got a craving for that peppered beef bowl we had the other day. We need someone here who can cook that stuff."

Arath grinned.  "Just so long as you're buying," he said as he snatched the mug away.  He didn't remember much about the last trip there.  Considering how much the two of them had drank he was surprised either of them had been able to weave a gateway home.  He did remember the pretty girl who had been serving them though.  That was more than enough reason to go again.  Hopefully he would remember what the food tasted like this time as well.

"Try to keep the lewd jokes to a minimum this time, okay?"