DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Question

vasu619

As we have no mention of them losing Talents I would guess that they did not lose any.  As they were experienced channellers, especially the Aes Sedai I can understand them not going through and seeing if they gained any.  I would guess that they did not, but our evidence is not 100% on that one.

From RJ's Blog. Pre-KoD.

Someone who sees ta'veren sees them as glowing. The more strongly ta'veren, the brighter the glow. This is a Talent, and is something that only someone who can channel can do. While she was stilled, Siuan could not see ta'veren, nor could she have if she had been burned out.

Included within that is the inference that Siuan can once again see ta'veren now she is healed.

Guest Dreadlord

I think Dreaming has nothing to do with the Power, just like Perrins Wolfbrother ability, Hurins thieftaker sense of smell, and Mins aura viewings.

From RJ's Blog. Pre-KoD.

Someone who sees ta'veren sees them as glowing. The more strongly ta'veren, the brighter the glow. This is a Talent, and is something that only someone who can channel can do. While she was stilled, Siuan could not see ta'veren, nor could she have if she had been burned out.

Included within that is the inference that Siuan can once again see ta'veren now she is healed.

Thanks for the confirmation dude.

An Ogier can detect Taveren (Alar of Stedding Tsofu); though only very strong ones.

From that, I thought it was a non-channeling Talent; unless some Ogiers can channel.

Actually...Your post gave me an interesting thought.

Are humans the only beings in this world that can channel? I know there have been no examples of non-humans channeling, but I wonder if it would be possible.

An Ogier can detect Taveren (Alar of Stedding Tsofu); though only very strong ones.

From that, I thought it was a non-channeling Talent; unless some Ogiers can channel.

The Ogier ability of detecting someone channeling might be different from the human Talent.  For example, the Ogier might be able to feel themselves being influenced by nearby ta'veren.  This could explain why it's only the strong ones: the Ogier feel an inexplicable need to do something they would normally not consider doing.

Are humans the only beings in this world that can channel? I know there have been no examples of non-humans channeling, but I wonder if it would be possible.

Myrdraals "itch" when someone channels nearby.  And they are human-throwbacks.  I don't know if that means they can channel though.

Could a dreamer / dreamwalker still dream if they were severed? It's been specifically shown that there are non-channeling dreamers / dreamwalkers.

I'd say they'd definately still be able to dreamwalk and dream (note: the two are seperate Talents)

An Ogier can detect Taveren (Alar of Stedding Tsofu); though only very strong ones. From that, I thought it was a non-channeling Talent; unless some Ogiers can channel.

Alar states that the talent is weak amongst her people, not that they can only detect strong ta'veren--the realities may be the same, or they may not.

And you forget that the Ogier have Treesingers, which may involve the One Power to one degree or another.

Irrespective by RJ's direct comment we know that the ability to see ta'veren is a trait that only channelers amongst humans can have.

Myrdraals "itch" when someone channels nearby.  And they are human-throwbacks.  I don't know if that means they can channel though.

The common theory is that Myrdraal occur when the human gene for channeling breeds true amongst the Trollocs. This is the sorce of their peculiar abilities--they cannot channel as such, they are to distorted from the normal human genome, but the presense of the channeling gene does alter them.

The common theory is that Myrdraal occur when the human gene for channeling breeds true amongst the Trollocs. This is the sorce of their peculiar abilities--they cannot channel as such, they are to distorted from the normal human genome, but the presense of the channeling gene does alter them.

I was going to say that, but I thought it might be too loony and only based on pure speculation.  Nice to know that I'm not alone out there.  ;D

Am I right in saying that Ogier were created, like the Nym? I wonder if Ogier singing can somehow complement channeling

Nope. Ogier came from another world through the Portal Stones. And as seen in KOD, they are now planning to return to the world they came from.

Who are the Nym? And is it possible even the Finns come from another mirror of the wheel?

The Nym are a race bioengineered in the Age of Legends to improve agriculture.  Notably, they would combine the Aiel and Ogier Singing into a song which would increase plant growth and health.  Someshta, aka the Green Man, was the last of the Nym.  Besides his obvious appearance in TEOTW, he also appears during the last flashback in TSR.

There are tales of giants in Shara that some have suggested might be Nym.

And is it possible even the Finns come from another mirror of the wheel?

More than possible, we know its a fact. And they come from a parralel world, not a perpindicular one.

Nope. Ogier came from another world through the Portal Stones.

I don't think it was through the portal stones--they readily expect to be able to return their whole race through opening the Book of Translations, yet have no channelers to fuel the stones. I doubt even they would think Aes Sedai and their like would drop everything to transport them back home in the face of Tarmon Gai'don.

What's the difference between a parallel world and a perpendicular one?

Parallel worlds are worlds that are other possibilities of what-could-have-been.  So they're alternate realities.  The world Rand, Hurin, and Loial go to via Portal Stone in TGH is a parallel world.  Perpendicular worlds are other planets in the same universe.  There's a scene in TDR, I think, where Verin explains it to Egwene.

I don't think it was through the portal stones--they readily expect to be able to return their whole race through opening the Book of Translations, yet have no channelers to fuel the stones. I doubt even they would think Aes Sedai and their like would drop everything to transport them back home in the face of Tarmon Gai'don.

Unless, of course, there is another way to activate them, a way the Book of Translations holds the key to. After all, the Stones predates the AOL, so originally they should not have required channeling.

Parallel worlds are worlds that are other possibilities of what-could-have-been.  So they're alternate realities.  The world Rand, Hurin, and Loial go to via Portal Stone in TGH is a parallel world.  Perpendicular worlds are other planets in the same universe.  There's a scene in TDR, I think, where Verin explains it to Egwene

Not quite. Perpindicular worlds are worlds crossing the Agelace are right angles to the real world--like parallel worlds they are completely distinct realities, and they are much harder to reach--likely because each only exist for one fraction of an instant in the passage of time of the real world.

Verin does explain it to Egwene tho, and probably better than i did just there.

Unless, of course, there is another way to activate them, a way the Book of Translations holds the key to. After all, the Stones predates the AOL, so originally they should not have required channeling.

So then why did Alar react to the portal stone with such ambivelence. You'd think something that was of such functional importance to the Ogier would have a degree more infamy.

I still think the book of translations involves a different method entirely from the portal stones.

Parallel worlds are worlds that are other possibilities of what-could-have-been.  So they're alternate realities.  The world Rand, Hurin, and Loial go to via Portal Stone in TGH is a parallel world.  Perpendicular worlds are other planets in the same universe.  There's a scene in TDR, I think, where Verin explains it to Egwene

Not quite. Perpindicular worlds are worlds crossing the Agelace are right angles to the real world--like parallel worlds they are completely distinct realities, and they are much harder to reach--likely because each only exist for one fraction of an instant in the passage of time of the real world.

Fascinating.  So a parallel world involves a branching off of the world in consideration, while a perpendicular world is an entirely different reality which intersects the world in consideration at some point?

hmmm... So let me get this straight, a perpendicular world has its own time line, but a single moment of our world's is there as well, when they intersect? Does this mean that as the age lace forms, new worlds are being created and mixed into it?

That's basically what I'm asking.  I think you put it much clearer than my post.

Archived