DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

10th Anniversary of Path of Daggers coming out

Werthead

The eighth Wheel of Time book came out on 20 October 1998. It was the second WoT book I got in hardcover, but the first I got on day of release. Since it had been significantly delayed already, I remember really being excited about it, especially as Book 7 had set things up for some major carnage, and with RJ then talking about the series being done in ten books it was expected there would be some major advancement with the storyline and the characters. He'd also written the New Spring story in the interim, which had been excellent, very well paced and packed with incident for such a short story, which seemed to bode well for the next book in the main series.

As a result I nearly killed myself running to the bookstore to get the book, and made it about ten minutes before closing. Read the whole book the next day and had to admit being pretty disappointed. Yeah, some good stuff with the battles between Rand and the Seanchan but I was expecting a lot more, especially considering the much longer-than-normal wait we'd had to endure for the book. Instead we got a slim (by WoT standards) volume and not a huge amount going on. Whilst I continued to read WoT after that, I think my faith that this really could be the greatest epic fantasy since Tolkien died that day :(

Anyone else get this on the day of release?

I came to the series late, thus I have a collection of fine looking UK paperbacks, have not had to wait for any book save AMoL (which, by the looks of things may arive *before* ADWD - oh dear God) and was able to read all the way through 1 -> 11 the first time through, which was nice.

There are benifits to comming late to epic fantasy series.

I came to the series late, thus I have a collection of fine looking UK paperbacks, have not had to wait for any book save AMoL (which, by the looks of things may arive *before* ADWD - oh dear God) and was able to read all the way through 1 -> 11 the first time through, which was nice.

There are benifits to comming late to epic fantasy series.

That's me, except I was not so fortunate to get my hands on those UK editions.

ADWD is currently scheduled for April, and AMoL for October, so it should beat it. 'Should' being the operative word here ;)

I did not start reading the series until all but <i>Knife of Dreams</i> were out, and I read up thru <i>Crossroads of Twilight</i> all at one go five years ago. I did however order <i>Knife of Dreams</i> as soon as it was available on amazon.com, and I will grab AMoL as soon as it is available also. As for <i>The Path of Daggers</i>, one disappointing thing about it was the absence of Mat. Various other things leave one wondering, and about some of it we are still wondering. The four borderland rulers appear, but we see nothing more of them until <i>Heart of Winter</i>, and we still don't know what they intend once they find Rand (or he finds them :-). In a way it's a book of beginnings: the beginning of the hunt for the Black Ajah, the beginning of the seige of Tar Valon, the beginning of Elayne's quest to become Queen of Andor, the beginning of Egwene's acquiring some actual authority as Amyrlin, and so on.

ADWD is currently scheduled for April, and AMoL for October, so it should beat it. 'Should' being the operative word here ;)

I'm afraid I've long since given up believing in ADWD due dates, here's to hope eh? :)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think I've ever been in a position to get any of the books on release date.  I'm a career military man, and it seems like every time one of the books is released, I'm on a different continent.  ;)

I started the series with the first printing of EOTW back in 1988 or '89.  It was a trade paperback (the big mondo paperback) and I bought it 'cause a) the cover art was cool and b) I had read some of RJ's Conan novels and really enjoyed them.  I ended up reading that trade paperback so much it fell apart.

When PoD was released, I was stationed in Australia, out in the bush.  Thank the Light for Amazon.com.  ;D

Archived