DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I'm lazy. (30 points)

Twitchy

I could easily do this, but I'm just too damn lazy to, and I would much rather sit around and do nothing.

Soooo, whoever finds diction in this, gets 30 points.

It's from The Crucible

Hale: Charity, Proctor, charity.  What I have heard in her favor, I will not feat to testify in court.  God help me, I cannot judge her guilty or innocent- I know not.  Only this consider: the world goes mad, and it profit nothing you should lay the cause to the vengeance of a little girl.

Proctor: You are a coward! Though you be ordained in God's own tears, you are a coward now!

Hale: Proctor, I cannot think God be provoked so grandly by such a petty cause.  The jails are packed- our greatest judges sit in Salem now- and hangin's promised.  Man, we must look to cause proportionate.  Were there murder done, perhaps, and never brought to light? Abomination? Some secret blasphemy that stinks to Haven? Think on cause, man, and let you help me to discover it.  For there's your way, believe it, there is your only way, when such confusion strikes upon the world.  Let you counsel among yourselves; think on your village and what may have drawn from heaven such thundering wrath upon you all.  I shall pray God open up our eyes.

Ah I remember doing literary analysis on the cruicible last year.

Diction is word choice revealing the author's purpose.  Generally I picked out one or two words and then say taht its an example of diction because of this connotation which implies this when word X could have been used but it had a different connotation.

The use of "grand" and "petty" in the same sentence to emphasize the contrast between how Proctor and Hale view the matter. "Grand" not only suggests scale, but implies importance and value, reminding Proctor how sacred and worthy of respect God is and how intense his wrath would be, implying that it would something equally intense to provoke God. "Petty" again not only tells us that Hale sees this as small and insignificant; it's derogatory, and he is belittling Proctor's views.

By saying "murder brought to light", Miller plays on the aspect of murder, especially hidden murder, being a "dark" deed, or being hidden "in the dark". He doesn't actually mention the dark, but it's there simply in contrast to the "light" he does talk about. I don't know if this last point is actually clear, but I can't figure out a better way to work it right now - hopefully you do get what i mean, though. I would look for more, but I have to go to theater rehearsal; might come back to this later, though. Tell me what you think.

Archived