DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Blocks

Tigara

It depends on how you define a "block." If you define it simply as a psychological barrier which prevents the channeler from accessing the Source, then I suppose it's possible for a person who can learn to channel to develop a block. I think they'd have to be raised in an environment hostile to the Power, though. I don't think there is any evidence in the series to suggest such a thing happening.

However, if you define a block as merely any psychological barrier related to channeling, then there are plenty of taught blocks. For example, Aes Sedai cannot throw a fireball without doing the throwing motion with their hand. Despite the fact that it has nothing to do with the actual weave. It is merely a learned block which prevents them from throwing a fireball without doing the hand motion. If they had learned how to do it without using the hand motion, they'd be perfectly capable of throwing fireballs with their hands in their purses.

Oh, most certainly. I had vaguely thought of them in writing the above, but not enough for it to coalesce into coherent words. I suppose the sul'dam who cannot channel despite being able to learn have a block. And they fit that criteria of mine, having been raised in an environment hostile to the Source.

From what I read so far (through Crown of Swords), I take that "blocks" apply only to those that are born with the ability to channel; so only wilders.  All other channelers need to be taught.

Suldam I think would generally be from that later group.  Damane would more likely have blocks.

Taim's term "bar" I think might be the same thing as a block.

The reason I ask is because I'm planning to make a new novice for the RP and wanted her to have a block, but sparkers aren't allowed. She's going to be an Amadician who finds out she can learn and sets up a block after she learns.

The reason I ask is because I'm planning to make a new novice for the RP and wanted her to have a block, but sparkers aren't allowed. She's going to be an Amadician who finds out she can learn and sets up a block after she learns.

Hmnnnn, maybe if she was careless, practicing when she wasn't supposed to and seriously injured or killed someone? That'd be pretty traumatic.

Personally i consider it unlikely--simple fear of channeling, or apprehension of channeling is not enough to form a block. Blocks must form during the initial touching of the source and have to result from doing it incorrectly--i.e. the person channels without realising it and shuts her eyes in horror for whats happening and ends up unable to channel with her eyes open.

Most novices are afraid of the source when they first start channeling, but afraid or not they are guided to it by Aes Sedai which eliminates them doing it incorrectly. Conciously reaching out to the source under controlled circumstances stops the formation of a block, no matter what emotions are involved--its the combination of not understanding what they are doing and an innate emotional response becoming linked to that action.

I very much doubt its possible for a learner to form a block.

I'm working on re-reading Path of Daggers and I noticed something in it before about Aviendha that seems similar to a block. She has difficulty making gateways, even though she is strong enough. In one of her POVs, she is thinking about gateways, about how it takes her whole strength to make one, even though she knows it shouldn't. After the first one she made to escape Rand, when she was learning again how to make a gateway, she started having this trouble. She knows it is because of the incident with Rand, and her shame about 'getting caught' after trying to run. I would consider that something akin to a block. I would not consider her a wilder (except by Tower definition, since she was not taught by the Tower, they call her a wilder, but she did not teach herself like a true wilder), but she is one with the ability inborn. I don't know of any evidence of a woman who can be taught then developing a block, but I would think a psychologically traumatic experience while channeling could do it.

It is because the Traveling weave taught to her by the wondergirls is different to the one she came up with to flee from Rand. The phenomenon is known as the second learned weave limitation I believe, or something along those lines; anyways basically because that isn't how she did it the first time she has difficulty dooing it. If she could work out the weave she used to make a gateway the first time then she would have no problems using that weave.

Mmm, Tyrell is correct--what is witnessed there is cause by the second learned weave effect.

Beyond which, the poster specifically seperated methodological blocks, like Aviendha's, or the Aes Sedai with their gesturing, and learning blocks--those that effect the way in which someone touches the source to begin with.

I'm working on re-reading Path of Daggers and I noticed something in it before about Aviendha that seems similar to a block. She has difficulty making gateways, even though she is strong enough. In one of her POVs, she is thinking about gateways, about how it takes her whole strength to make one, even though she knows it shouldn't.

Bingo. Blocks are not verboten for non-sparkers, anyone who tells you different is selling something.

Having to use your hands to weave a fireball is a 'block' for Aes Sedai, because it means they can't cast as fast as Aiel. It's not precisely the same block, but it's a definite impediment to their ability.

Mmm, Tyrell is correct--what is witnessed there is cause by the second learned weave effect.

Beyond which, the poster specifically seperated methodological blocks, like Aviendha's, or the Aes Sedai with their gesturing, and learning blocks--those that effect the way in which someone touches the source to begin with.

Actually, I just read a part where Tiana was telling Romanda that many new novices were excelling in the new Healing weave, while many other Yellows had trouble.

Actually, I just read a part where Tiana was telling Romanda that many new novices were excelling in the new Healing weave, while many other Yellows had trouble.

Yes, and Romanda states that the new healing weaves are different enough from the old that the second learned weave effect does not come into play, and that it is simply that the Yellows do not have great Talent in the new weave--Romanda herself states she has no where near as much Talent with the new as she did with the old.

Archived