DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Faile death threats

kilika

If Perrin is not seen by the rest of randlands nobility as a noble/Lord then he will not be taken seriously by those who actually have the power - in order to accomplish that, He must act like he was born to it, faile is just hastening the process. I have faith RJ wrote her character that way for a reason. I do enjoy discussing this with you folks though  :).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of Randland's nobility already accept him as a noble/Lord regardless of his title considering his ties with Rand. It's something that he just has to deal with. But he doesn't have to act like every other Lord out there to get respect. His ties to Rand deal with that well enough, and his golden eyes are plenty of a reason for people to at least fear him. And fear is close enough to respect when it comes to the nobility.

If Faile was simply getting Perrin to accept his Lordly duties, then that's all fine. But she's encouraging weakness and dependence in a once strong and independent people. And she's encouraging Perrin to do the same.

Faile has this odd conception of what it means to be a Lord or a Lady
Odd? How so? What makes her conception different to the usual conception of Lord/Ladyship? Also, remember that as she is in the line of Succession to the throne of Saldaea, and the Bashere estates, she needs a husband who understands the duties associated with his position. And the best way to make him understand the duties of a Lord is to make him carry out the duries of a Lord. So she needed people who needed a Lord. That the Two Rivers folk were happy to surrender their independence to the first person to come along with a way to save them, that these stubborn people were so willing to put themselves under a Lord, is their fault, not Faile's. They chose this. Don't blame her for their "failing". She needed people who needed a Lord, they needed a Lord, she just pushed the two together.

Though, I do have more reasons for not liking her. And most of them involve her behavior while she was captured.
Such as?

I should have been more clear. I don't mean odd to Randland. Her concept of a Lord or a Lady is quite in line with the typical Salaean idea. I meant odd to me. And at odds with the former life of the people of the Two Rivers. But she's managed to muck that latter part up enough.

As for my reasons for disliking her behavior while she was captured? Oh ya, sure, she behaved commendably. I admit that everything everyone has said good about her actions while captured are true. It's more of how her behavior and the way she thinks about Perrin reflect on her feelings towards him in comparison to his feelings for her. I think the relationship is very one-sided.

I am not convinced that Perrin would abandon everything to save Faile even though he says it alot. He always does the right thing even when it is not in his own best interests. He talks a good game but until he actually abandons Rand or the world then I don't believe him (and I don't mean minor stuff but truly fate of the world events).

He couldn't abandon Rand if he wanted to, heh, he's taveren. Even when he did something he believed would be against their cause (allying with the Seanchan to get Faile, giving them a load of damane) it will likely work in Rand's favor when he finally makes a truce with the Seanchan. Neither Perrin or Mat is as selfless as Rand, but their roles don't require them to be.

Archived