DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Battle of the Bands - SOUL vs. METAL (Quarter-Finals)

Corki

Here is the first tie of the Quarter-Finals - and the competition is really heating up. The first tie sees the champion of Soul, Aretha Franklin, who saw off The Chemical Brothers in Round 2, up against Metallica, who defeated the Beastie Boys in the previous round.

The Champion of Soul... ARETHA FRANKLIN

If one looks up Soul Music in the dictionary one will find The Queen of Souls' picture... Aretha re-defined Soul in he mid sixties after signing with Atlantic Records and her very first single there, "I Never Loved A Man" was the start of a long line of number one singles. From a whispered delivery (that gives shivers to any red blooded man) to passionate primal howls this song exemplifies her style and like nearly any song she sings is hers to the bone....

The recipient of countless awards, honorary degrees from Universities and the Berklee College of Music, various honors and firsts she has even stood in for Luciano Pavarotti at the 1998 Grammy Awards to sing "Nessun Dorma" with less than 24 hours to prepare when he was to ill to appear... and in His Key! She is a truly remarkable and influential artist and The Jewel In The Crown of Soul.

The Champion of METAL...METALLICA

Metallica, the name says it all.  Metallica has been at the forefront of hard rock/metal for over 20 years, paving the way for what it has become today.  The band is famous for their fast, heavy riffs that play into melodic interludes and James Hetfields growling vocals and original lyrics.  Kirk Hammet plays dynamic solos ranging from blues/jazz scales in his melodic ones to just plain ripping thee scales out on his fast solos.  The original bassist, Cliff Burton, one of the best Ive heard play in this style, was killed in the late 80's and since then they have had two other bassists.  And of course, everyone knows the controversial drummer, Lars Ulrich, who contibutes to writing both music and lyrics in just about every song.  Their first studio album, Kill 'Em All, was released in 1983 and since then they have released 7 more albums and a slew of live shows on CD.  Their most popular album was their self titled Black Album.  Other notable albums include Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightning and Load.  Metallica is also famous for having one of the most amazing live performances (as I have seen them 4 times Ill agree) of any touring act and also sport the loudest sound system ever created.

Now I know that some of you might be saying to yourselves that Metallica is more rock than metal, but when they established themselves, they were the genre metal.  The genre has changed dramatically today and has several different styles, but Metallica fits easily into it.

Fade to Black (Ride the Lightning) - One of my all time favorite songs

Master of Puppets (Master of Puppets) - Another of my all time favorites

- One of the fastest, heaviest songs out there

Nothing Else Matters (Black Album) - Another all time favorite

There you go - the two champions of Soul and Metal. All you now need to do is pick who you want to win (please highlight in some way or another) and go through to the next stage of the Knock out and one step closer to the Grand Final! You have until Monday 11th August 2008 to make your choice!

Archived