DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Beginings (Open)

Covai leaned against the trunk of the tree as he started munching on a roll stuffed with beef and cheese, using his legs as they dangled from the branch he was on to keep his balance. He was finally enjoying some time alone after his return to the Black Tower.

As he looked around at the Farm, it was starting to be a distant memory of what it once was. Many buildings remained the same, The Inn for example, which Covai was secretly relieved to see. Surprisingly enough his quarters has remained untouched. The wards he had placed has long since warn off, but surprisingly Dashiva has been maintaining them in his absence.

Taking a sip from the wineskin at his hip, Covai washed the food down. I should probably give Dashiva and the others more credit.. Covai mused. The man was as serious as they came, and Covai was about the exact opposite. One of the few things they shared in common was their recruitment to the Black Tower, by the 'runaways' Koras and Zybnek.

Covai grinned to himself. Now there was something that occured a life time ago. Scratching his beard, Covai wondered what would happen now if a recruit called him a fool like he had called Storm Leader Andar in front of everyone back them. Sure, he had been foolish, and looking back now he could even be called suicidal, but he had done what he believed to be right, just as he always had, and always would.

Taking another sip from the wineskin Covai heard someone stop under the tree. Craning his neck Covai saw it was the man he had been waiting for.

Tighting his grip with his legs, Covai shifted his weight to the side as his slide from his perch. Mock-saluting to his new trainee as he hung upsidedown from the branch of a tree, Covai greeted the man. Admitedly, Covai didn't exactly look the part of a Storm Leader, hanging upside down from a tree in the middle of the day, but never really was one for protocol. He had heard some people whisper that maybe the taint had started to affect him already, and maybe it had. The only thing Covai knew was that if he was going to go, he was going to make sure he had a good time before he did.

"So hows it hanging?" Covai asked. Gripping the branch with one hand, Covai unhooked his legs and dropped himself to the ground, landing in a crouch before standing. Rolling his eyes as the soldier saluted, Covai shook his head and motioned the man to relax. "Take it easy, I'm not hear to tear you to sheads or anything. Here.... catch." Covai took the winskin and tosssed it to the man. "Have a drink and sit down."

"You're just about ready to be raised aren't you?" Covai asked. Ged nodded as he took a drink from the wineskin. "Thought so. So just how long have you been at the Farm anyways?" Covai paused when the man blinked. Shaking his head, Covai felt like some old man, "You'll have to forgive my slip, we're supposed to be calling ourselves the BLACK TOWER now. But as you can see..." Covai craned his head upwards "There isnt exactly much of a tower yet. So far its a title only, but its apt for what will eventually be. Plus it sounds more impressive too."

"So tell me, training have you got left to do? I'm supposed to size you up, in a manner or speaking. So let me know what you still need before you're officially"

OOC: Feel free to jump in. I'm aiming for this to be more of a training RP than anything.

Geirrin walked over towards the other Soldier, Ged was his name.  As he was approaching he noticed that Storm Leader Covai was hanging upside down from a tree.  He was odd for a Storm Leader, he did not seem like a powermonger caring little for ceremony and protocol.  Some whispered that maybe he was going mad though Geirrin just thought it was his way.  It was refreshing to see someone with authority who did not walk around as if they had a pole up their arse.

Covai was asking Ged some questions, he waited 'til Ged was finished.  He took the waterskin from Ged then sat down before answering the questions as they applied to him.

"Well I can't say exactly how long it's been though it's been a couple of months.  Well they say I am or will be pretty strong in the power though I need to learn some control."  He shrugged his shoulders "I was never very cautious as a child, Da tanned my hide more times than I care to recall.  I still owe him for repairs to his ship, sailed her right into the breakwater and struck a reef." He laughed ouy loud "Well I thought I could make it.  So I guess I need to learn to better judge how I use my weaves.  I tend to use a little more of the power than I should.  If something needs only a hair thin thread well I usually make it as thick as a mast for good measure." He shrugged again as he finished.

((Well since the other Saidin related thread stalled I figured that I would join you.  Once all my current threads are complete Geirrin will be ready to move on to Dedicated so it seemed appropriate.  Just so you know Geirrin had 43 pts of strength to spend so he will be pretty well off though his skill is only 28.  Just to put things into perspective.)) 

OOC: Meant to edit the Ged part. Was copying some of an old post for a basis and I guess I didn't proof read the entire thing :S

IC: Covai nodded as the trainees spoked. The man using the hammer-style approach should be interesting to watch. Strength as one thing, but it was no good if you just wore yourself out after a few weaves.

Pausing as a soldier came running up to them, Covai gave the man a questioning look. Bowing in aplogy, he explained Ged was needed elsewhere, so Covai shrugged and dismissed both of them with a wave of his hand. He was a little annoyed his class was interrupted, but he supposed he could always get back at the men later. Extra chores sounded like a good start.

"So, looks like it's just you and me then, eh?" Covai prefered one on one training. It allowed him to focus on the man's skills entirely, without having to worry about what other people were doing. "Tell you what, since you're going to have to work on your use of power, let's start with the basics." Covai seized the source and formed a hole in the ground beside them. It wasn't very wide, but it was deep enough to serve it's purpose.

Holding out the stone he had been rolling in his palm, Covai spoke "Watch.." Weaving fire wrapped in earth and a small trace of spirit into the stone, Covai waited until the stone started to almost pulse. Then, quickly throwing it into the hole, Covai wove a shield of air infront of them in time to watch the stone explode, sending a cloud of dirt into the air.

Letting go of the shield, Covai faced Geirrin to explain. "Grenade. Infuse something with enough heat fast enough and it will explode. That what the fire in the weave was for. The earth helps contain the explosion for a limited time as does the spirit. The weave can be done without spirit, but I've found it makes it a little harder to make the timing of the explosion reliable." Picking up another stone from the ground, Covai tossed it to Geirrin.

"Take it easy to start. This is a very simple weave, but I don't want you blowing off your hand just because you made a mistake. I don't want you to try anything big until after five or six goes, and you're feeling comfortable with the timing. After that you can make something impressive." Weaving earth, Covai make a pitfall just beside the two of them.

"Toss them into there for now. That way if something does go wrong we're shielded. I suggest averting your eyes when it explodes as well. The last thing we want is a bright flash or flying dirt to blind you." Covai shrugged. "That or a rock could pierce through your head. And unless you can control how much Saidin you're putting into it, that a very likely possibility."

((OOC: I thought that may have been the case but I didn't want to assume and write someone out of the thread. ;D))

Geirrin watched as the other trainee left.  He was still wathcing him depart when Covai spoke explaining what they would do.  He watched as Covai created a hole in the ground.  Geirrin tucked the weaves he had used in the back of his mind in case he needed or wanted to use them in the future.  You never knew when something like that would com in handy.

Geirrin turned his head slightly to the side as he studied the threads that Covai was weaving.  Fire wrapped in earth and a small trace of spirit which he wove into a stone.  Covai quickly threw it into the hole he had created then wove a shield of air in front of them just before the stone exploded.  The ground beneath him shifted as a cloud of dirt flew into the air from the hole.

Covai named the weave "Grenade" then explained the logic behind it.  He described the purpose of each thread then picked up a stone from the ground tossing it to Geirrin.  Covai gave him further instructions then made a pitfall for Geirrin to toss him grenades into.

Geirrin embraced saidin, it came to him easily though the sickly feeling that accompanied it twisted his stomach.  He began to create a thread of fire though he immediately knew it was much too large.  He scaled back the thread of fire then pushed it into the stone while weaving earth around it with a bit of spirit.  The stone pulsed and he quickly through it into the pitfall turning is head as he did so.  It worked, maybe not as well as Covai's had though he felt the ground rumble beneath him.

A sinsiter smile formed on his face as it always did when he learned a new weave or a new use for one.  Some may think him mad but he was thrilled each time he learned something new.  He was always like that as a kid though as a kid he would get scolded or beat for doing something foolish.  There was  aline here as well though they pushed trainees hard here, they were forging weapons.

Covai watched as the first grenade went into the hole. He couldn't even say for sure that it hit the ground before exploding, but it worked. He had half expected to see the soldier's arm fly off. It was harsh teaching men weaves with such risk, whether they were ready for it for not. They were to become weapons for Tar'Mon'Gaidon, the last battle. Covai had been at the Fall of Tear, he had seen Myrddraal, Trollocs, and light, even Black Vieled Aiel too. The was no doubt the final battle was coming, and Covai had no intention of letting his men be unprepared.

Prepared....to fight an evil they couldn't even beat in the Age of Legends.. It wasn't exactly the most comforting of thoughts.

Scratching the back of his neck, Covai dug his fingers into the side of his neck, using the pain to refocus his thoughts. If a Soldier of his was to die during training it would simply mean they wouldn't have to go through the hell that was coming. It will also mean there's one less Guardian when the time comes...

"Geirrin, tell me. Just why is it you're here anyways? Do you have something you want to protect, or are you just afraid to die?" Covai wasn't sure if the true meaning of his words would reach the man, especially asked out of the blue light that. Besides, his mind was become scattered, and he needed time to refocus before moving onto the next weave.

He watched the Storm Leader, the man seemed lost in thought.  Sudenly he spoke"Geirrin, tell me. Just why is it you're here anyways? Do you have something you want to protect, or are you just afraid to die?"

The meaning was completely lost on him, he certainly wasn't afraid to die, what did that have to do with anything.  "Truth is that I was well thought of back home.  My Da said I took far too many risks.  Well he was right I guess, I ground his one and only fishing vessel.  It was in dry dock for 2 months getting repaired.  He wouldn't let me sail after that, made me a dockhand, said I was too careless.  I'm still paying him back for the damages."  He paused to think for a moment "I own nothing so I really have nothing to protect."  With a longer pause he thought on the last question  "Can't say as I'm afraid to die either, Da always said I'd likely kill myself before I reached his age...but why would I be afraid to die?  I mean should I be afraid of something."  He eyed the Storm Leader waiting on his response.

Covai laughed. The question had gone right over the man's head. Still, it was fair enough. People had accepted the fact the Dragon had been reborn, or least a man existed who was on par with the legends. Still, most people still went about their day to day lives with it registering only at the back of their minds. He still remembered the looks of the housestaff around the Stone of Tear after the battle. Aiel everywhere, and surprised looks whenever they spoke to someone. Acknowledging something as history, or a story to scare children was one thing. Staring it face to face as another. Covai wouldn't be surprised if less than half of the Asha'man would be able to move the first time they fought a trolloc. Light, he still remembered barely keeping his head against his first Myrrdrall.

Shaking his head, Covai eyed Geirrin. "There is always something to be afraid of. The question is whether you give into the fear." Deciding to take a break from the already short class, Covai continued with his questioning. "So if you're not here to protect something, or to avoid dying, just how did you come to be here? Men only come to the tower because they want to serve the Dragon, or because they want to learn enough not to go crazy and kill their loved ones. Sounds like you have neither reason..so just how did you come to be at the Black Tower?"

OOC: Good chance for some history about your first experience channeling and such. Or you can just gloss over it if Geirrin doesn't want to answer :P

"Well thats simple.  See this ship anchored offshore near my home, a little fishing village west of Godan.  Well they came ashore and were looking for sailors.  Apparently half their crew had fallen ill.  So I signed on seeing as it was better than staying as a dockhand.  When we put in at the port in Aringil the Captain paid us off."  He looked around briefly making sure he wasn't boring his instructor.

"Naturally I went to the nearest tavern for some food, drink, and a game of dice." He said it as if their was no other option.  "While I was there I heard that these two fellows in black cots were talking about calling the winds or wielding lightning or some such.  Of course I was curious, I've always been overly curious so I approached them.  Basically they said I could learn, so next day they brought me here."  Gierrin shrugged when he finished  "You see I had nothing better to do.  This sure beats gutting fish."

As he waited for the Storm Leader to respond his thoughts drifted.  His presence here was odd he thought, everyone else seemed to have a very definate reason for being here.  Geirrin live somewhat of a sheltered life, all he knew of the shadow or the Dark One were tales used to scare children.  He was told when he came there that he was going to be made into a weapon to battle the shadow. 

What type of weapon would he make, would he serve a greater purpose?  He had never really thought about it much.

OOC: Sorry, got disconnected yesterday before I could finish the reply :P

IC: Covai nodded. "Fair enough. You'll find others like you here. No real idea except it was better than what they were doing. And just like them...you'll learn the difference. Just remember though, you're taught more than just to stave off the taint here. Some of it you'll like, and some you wont.""

Leaning on his back foot, Covai changed the topic. "Speaking of which, just how much have you been shown here at the tower? You mentioned you tend to end up using too much of the power than needed...just what weaves have you been shown so far? I'll give you some pointers where I can."

OOC: Give some weaves of your choice a shot, and Covai will jump in with some pointer. Consider this a chance to take control of the RP for a bit :)

"I've learned the basic weaves for a soldier, mostly involving Fire, Earth, and Air, some with Water and Spirit.  Air Clubs, Fireballs, Grenades, Walls of Earth, Pitfalls..." He listed a few more "I've learned as many weaves as I could get them to teach me, some I have learned by watching others." 

"Well as to that now, sometimes I over do it and use a thicker weave than I should.  If the weave only needs a hair thin thread I tend to use a little more, well a lot more in some cases.  It is my fault though, I learn the weave then I try to push the limits, adding more of each element.  I've been punished more than I care to admit for doing stupid things, well they were right to do so but I like to experiment." It was a character flaw of his.  "They said it is bad because I am or will be strong in the power so I have to becareful not to over do it and destroy myself." 

Geirrin filled himself with the power, the sickly sweet feeling coming over him quickly fading into joy as he soaked in the power.  He wove a fireball hurling it a tree that was far enough away that they would not be showered with splinters.  The tree burst where he hit it, pieces of the tree lay smoldering on the ground.  He smothered the smoldering bits cutting off the air so they no onger smoked.

Next he wove Earth Wall, producing dozens of sharp projectiles from earth then with flows of air he hurled them at the trunk of a tree.  The shards drove into the trunk causing the entire tree to shutter.  With the power filling him he could see each one impacting the tree.  With a moan the tree toppled over, the stump where the shards struck was splintered.  It looked as though a giant bear had taken a bite of it with it's massive jaws.

He continued through some of the weaves that he knew.  Geirrin then wove flows of Fire and Earth directing them into a spot a few spans away, within a few moments the ground erupted.  Geirrin through up a shield just in time so that neither he nor the storm leader were struck by the debris.  He blushed turning toward the Storm Leader.  "I guess a used a little too much Fire and Earth and held the weave a bit longer than I should have."  He eyed the Storm Leader waiting on his reaction. 

OOC: Probably a bit closer to dedicated level with some of those weaves/power, but that'll be alright. We'll be covering some of that stuff in the other thread we've got at the moment.

IC: Covai nodded. "True. Keep this up without learning control and you're likely to likely to blow yourself up." Covai didn't mean to discourage the man, but it was true. "Still, they were effective weaves, which is the main point. We can worry about finese and refining them later on."

Motioning for the soldier to pass to wineskin back, Covai took a deep drink from it. "Tell you what, I've got an idea for you to practice with." Looking around the remains of the tree, Covai found what he was looking for. "Here, catch." Covai called out as he tossed a loose rock, about half the size of his fist over to Geirrin.

"I want you to use Saidin to make that rock as perfectly round as possible. Shave a little bit off it with earth at a time, and mould it where you can. I'd suggest to just shaving the excess away for now, and actually changing the shape of stone is probably beyond your reach at the moment, and takes a lot more power. By controlling how much power you use, you'll determine how much of the rock you remove. Think of it like learning to whittle with a pocket knife instead of a battle axe like you've been doing."

Stretching his shoulders, Covai dismissed the man with a wave of his hand. "That'll do for today. I've got some errands I need to run, and I'm guessing you've got more chores or training ahead today. Keep the rock with you, and I'll see how you've progressed next time we meet." Walking off towards the inn, Covai looked over his shoulder to offer one last piece of advice. "Oh, if you use too much power and end up splitting the rock in half, don't stress. Just throw it away and find another."

OOC: Another RP done. I'd place this one before the Weapon and Hunting threads in regards to the timeline. Nice work :) Like before, post a relpy if you like, or just leave it ended as is.

((OOC: Thanks again Covai!))

Geirrin nodded and stammered a "Thank you" as the Storm Leader dismissed him.  He stared at the rock then frowned, I'll likely whittle it down to dust fragments he thought.  Walking off towards the inn, Covai looked over his shoulder to offer one last piece of advice. "Oh, if you use too much power and end up splitting the rock in half, don't stress. Just throw it away and find another." 

Geirrin bounced the rock in the palm of his hand wondering how many rocks he would destroy before he got the hang of shaping it.  A smile formed on his face, this was the first time someone had given him an exercise to help him learn control.