DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tune or No Tune - Nightswimming by REM - (July 21 - July 28, 2008)

snin83

spigots or caudrens  

114 members have voted

1. 1. spigots or caudrens

• spigots
    • caudrens
    • pie spoon
    • washer woman. shaped washer.

This poll is closed to new votes

In light of the artist of the month that I still have to post and will be getting to here very soon, I have decided to put up Nightswimming, by REM, for the Tune or No Tune.

Nightswimming is a song on REM's 1992 album Automatic for the People.  It is a ballad featuring singer Michael Stipe accompanied only by bassist Mike Mills on piano. A string arrangement by former Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones also accompanies them. 

The inspiration of the song is debated by the band.  Some of the members say that the song is inspired by their early days when they and their friends would go skinny dipping after bars and clubs closed.  However, Stipe has denied that that is the topic of the song; rather, he says the song is about a "kind of an innocence that's either kind of desperately clung onto or obviously lost."

The song was the fifth single released from the album and is one of my favorites from it.  I have done an Album Review of Automatic for the People on the offsite board for anyone that is interested. A link to the song is below.

I have to say tune. Though R.E.M. songs have always sounded "stream of conciousness" to me and most make no sense unless accompanied by serious navel pondering. Which is OK if done well and Stipe has always done them well. Guess I'm just not a big I feel so alienated fan.

This was actually the very first CD that I purchased when I got my first CD player back in High School.  I have since lost it, but don't really miss it all that much since I've kind of grown out of the whole alienation phase of my life.  Nonetheless, it was a great album back then and this was a great song on it, so for nostalgia's sake, I'll say TUNE!

Archived