DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thoughts from tDR

I'm in the middle of a re-read (like 4th or 5th) and I noticed some things that hadn't ever hit me before in tDR.

1) With all of the parallels that RJ made with Rand and King Arthur, I hadn't noticed one that now seems obvious:

- King Arthur became king, or proved his kingship, by pulling the sword out of the stone (in some versions). Only the true king could pull it out (although as Terry Pratchett said, the guy who put the sword in the stone in the first place really is king material, but I digress...)

- Rand proved he was the dragon reborn by pulling the sword (callandor) out of the stone (of Tear).

2) When Egwene, Nyn, and Elayne are talking with the Aiel right before they are captured, Elayne starts talking about how Rand is most likely he who comes with the dawn. Egwene seems to be not wholly convinced, so Elayne goes on (I'm paraphrasing here): "The prophecies of the dragon say he will be 'Born to a Maiden wedded to no man'. And he does lOOK like an Aiel. Of course, he also looks like the pictures I've seen of Tigraine, but she disappeared before he was born, and I hardly think she could be his mother anyway. I think Rand's mother was a maiden of the spear!" Hmm... THERE'S a nice piece of foreshadowing. And she's doubly correct, although she doesn't know it.

I'm also confused about some things. Mainly:

A) When Egwene first goes into TAR she meets an old woman named Silvie in the Stone. Who the hell is she? She isn't ever mentioned again, as I recall... I have a vague idea that it's Lanfear, but I don' know.

B) Since Faile is Perrin's falcon, who is the hawk? I remember thinking previously that it was Berelain, but now it seems more likely that it is Moiraine.

C) Why was the second dead gray man in Sheriam's bed of all places? Was it some kind of warning to her? I can't think that she's a darkfriend, but she does seem to behave strangely later in the series, and she is being threatened by someone (I think that's in CoT). And did she really just happen to be walking by when the first gray man was found dead?

D) Did Thom kill Galldrian? In all of the conversations in which Galldrian comes up, Thom seems to react oddly, and it seems to be implied (from tGH too) that he killed him as revenge for the pointless death of Dena (I think that's her name).

I'm in the middle of a re-read (like 4th or 5th) and I noticed some things that hadn't ever hit me before in tDR.

1) With all of the parallels that RJ made with Rand and King Arthur, I hadn't noticed one that now seems obvious:

- King Arthur became king, or proved his kingship, by pulling the sword out of the stone (in some versions). Only the true king could pull it out (although as Terry Pratchett said, the guy who put the sword in the stone in the first place really is king material, but I digress...)

- Rand proved he was the dragon reborn by pulling the sword (callandor) out of the stone (of Tear).

Kinda painfully obvious connection.

2) When Egwene, Nyn, and Elayne are talking with the Aiel right before they are captured, Elayne starts talking about how Rand is most likely he who comes with the dawn. Egwene seems to be not wholly convinced, so Elayne goes on (I'm paraphrasing here): "The prophecies of the dragon say he will be 'Born to a Maiden wedded to no man'. And he does lOOK like an Aiel. Of course, he also looks like the pictures I've seen of Tigraine, but she disappeared before he was born, and I hardly think she could be his mother anyway. I think Rand's mother was a maiden of the spear!" Hmm... THERE'S a nice piece of foreshadowing. And she's doubly correct, although she doesn't know it.

She just made an educated guess.

I'm also confused about some things. Mainly:

A) When Egwene first goes into TAR she meets an old woman named Silvie in the Stone. Who the hell is she? She isn't ever mentioned again, as I recall... I have a vague idea that it's Lanfear, but I don' know.

It is Lanfear.

B) Since Faile is Perrin's falcon, who is the hawk? I remember thinking previously that it was Berelain, but now it seems more likely that it is Moiraine.

It is Berelain.

C) Why was the second dead gray man in Sheriam's bed of all places? Was it some kind of warning to her? I can't think that she's a darkfriend, but she does seem to behave strangely later in the series, and she is being threatened by someone (I think that's in CoT). And did she really just happen to be walking by when the first gray man was found dead?

From what happens in later books, it is strongly suggested that Sheriam is a Darkfriend, or at least has some connection to Darkfriends, most probably involuntarily.

D) Did Thom kill Galldrian? In all of the conversations in which Galldrian comes up, Thom seems to react oddly, and it seems to be implied (from tGH too) that he killed him as revenge for the pointless death of Dena (I think that's her name).

Probably.

Sharina has great potential, but she hasn't reached it yet. Potential as well as current strength can be measured, and it's obvious that even though her potential is enormous, she hasn't reached it yet. Plus she is very old, she has a family etc... it'd be difficult to impersonate her so well. Therefore, it's impossible for her to be Lanfear.

Sharina?

If Sharina is Lanfear in disguise, then I'm now going to assume that Rand in Demandred, Cadsuane is Graendal, and that the DO is the Creator.

That's a bit of a harsh response, it was only a wondering  ;)

Ah well...sorry if offended, it's just that I'm getting sick of suspecting everyone in WoT of being someone else. Its driving me nuts!

Besides, Sharina has only helped the AS by organizing the novices etc...so she truly cannot be a DF at all.

Archived