DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Artist of the Month - Dream Theater

Created in 1985 under the name "Majesty", Dream Theater was originally created by three men in Boston at the Berklee College of Music. John Myung, John Petrucci, and Mike Portney began the band as students and then eventually dropped out of school and pursued their music career. Since then there have been some member changes, but the original founders of the group are still there. Aside from the original members, the current group has James LeBrie and Jordan Rudess.

Dream Theater is one of the most successful progressive metal bands since the height of metal in the 1970's. Their best efforts in the U.S. have been Images and Words(1992) which reached #61 on the Billboard Top 200. Then came at #32 Awake (1994). Their newest release Systematic Chaos (2007) debut at #19. Dream Theater has sold 2 million albums in the U.S. and over 8 million albums and DVD's worldwide.

Throughout their career, Dream Theater has remained mostly underground, feeding off of support from their fans. Their shows worldwide have gotten bigger and better each year. The band and its members have won many awards.

RIAA gold and platinum certification

1. Images and Words (Gold) - February 2, 1995

2. Metropolis 2000: Live Scenes From New York (Gold) - November 8, 2002

3. Live at Budokan (DVD) (Platinum) - January 26, 2005

4. Live in Tokyo/5 Years in a Livetime (Platinum) - March 22, 2006

5. Score (DVD) (Platinum) - October 11, 2006 [34]

Keyboard Magazine Jordan Rudess was awarded the following 'Keyboard Magazine Reader's Poll award':

1. Best New Talent (1994)

2. Burrn magazine's best keyboards player of the year (2007)

Modern Drummer Mike Portnoy won the following Modern Drummer magazine Reader's Poll awards:

1. Best Up & Coming Talent (1994)

2. Best Progressive Rock Drummer (1995-2006)

3. Best Recorded Performance (1995 for Awake, 1996 for A Change of Seasons, 1998 for Falling Into Infinity, 2000 for Metropolis, Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory, 2002 for Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, and 2007 for Score)

4. Best Clinician (2000, 2002)

5. Best Educational Video/DVD (2000, 2002)

6. Hall of Fame Inductee (2004)

Guitar World The album Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory was ranked #95 on the magazine's list of the 100 Greatest Guitar Albums of All Time.

Total Guitar John Petrucci won Guitarist of the year award (2007).

Other recognitions

1. At Dream Theater's Salt Lake City show, Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. signed a proclamation making July 30, 2007 "Dream Theater Day" in the state of Utah.

2. In December 2007, Dream Theater was chosen as Xbox Live's artist of the month.

3. Dream Theater's music video "Constant Motion" was voted second in the Headbanger's Ball 2007 competition.

Dream Theater is not just one of the best metal bands, but one of the best overall.

Well, I had never heard of Dream Theater unitl now! But that is going to change. I'm currently listening to some of their live stuff on YouTube, and I am liking it. When I get the chance, I'll definitely be putting some of their music on my iPod.

My first exposure to Dream Theater was actually an anime movie DMZ: The History of Trunks. Several of their songs were put on the soundtrack and since then they've quickly become one of my favorite bands.

Thanks for the links Nae!!! *tacklehugs*

Anybody who reads the reviews at the band boards knows that I am a HUGE DT fan!  Great post Clim.  These guys are the unsung heroes of the musical world in my opinion.  An interesting side point of note here, I remember reading once that these guys have the highest ratio of musician/non-musician fans in the world! 

Considering how underground you said they were, I was extremely surprised to find how many albums they had out over here in the U.K. in HMV when I was browsing there last week. Sadly, I didn't buy any as none were in the offer section, and I am definitely an offer (i.e. 2 CDs for £10) person.

Archived