DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

NEED HELP WID CURING MY WOT CRAVINGS

price_check

yes so i hav just finished KOD and am wanting more but obviously i cannot fill the hunger so i am lookn for a gd book -preferably fantasy- which i can read.

i hav already red "his dark materials" and all the novels by mather rielly and mathew pauloni.

please leave the names of some books and maybe a bit about them to help me get over WOT untill in memory of the light comes out

cheers

The first fantasy series I would recommend (even before WOT) is by George RR Martin.  The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire and the first book is A Game of Thrones. An HBO series is in the works to turn it into a TV show so read it before it is potentially ruined.

i would agree that it may be better, its more abrupt and adult based. i also enjoy the obsucurity of the "magic" in the series.. its always either in the background, only reffered to by other people or experienced by people who never came accross it before giving it an element of mystery. plus grrm's notorious for not caring alot about his main characters which is great, it means as a reader you never get a real chance to get too comfortable with them

its hard to give a bit of a description without spoilers so i looked up a few synopsis' online i found a decent one that'l give you kind of an idea:

A Game of Thrones -  the first book of the series

Long ago, in a time forgotten, a preternatural event threw the seasons out of balance. In a land where summers can last decades and winters a lifetime, trouble is brewing. The cold is returning, and in the frozen wastes to the north of Winterfell, sinister and supernatural forces are massing beyond the kingdom’s protective Wall. At the center of the conflict lie the Starks of Winterfell, a family as harsh and unyielding as the land they were born to. Sweeping from a land of brutal cold to a distant summertime kingdom of epicurean plenty, here is a tale of lords and ladies, soldiers and sorcerers, assassins and bastards, who come together in a time of grim omens.

Here an enigmatic band of warriors bear swords of no human metal; a tribe of fierce wildlings carry men off into madness; a cruel young dragon prince barters his sister to win back his throne; and a determined woman undertakes the most treacherous of journeys. Amid plots and counterplots, tragedy and betrayal, victory and terror, the fate of the Starks, their allies, and their enemies hangs perilously in the balance, as each endeavors to win that deadliest of conflicts: the game of thrones.

trust me if you love WOT you'll enjoy this.

The series is difficult to sum up.  I say so because every summary I read does it no justice.  Think about a land where all of the major noble houses are scheming to get better position.  A land where war is just around the corner but you don't know when, where, or who it will involve.  A place where you never know who is the enemy and who is the friend.  A land where your favorite character may be the villain, but you don't know it yet.  A family with a bond to an ancient race of wolves and another family with a bond to dragons.  Yet, nobody, including many of the people, know this bond exists.  And up North, forgotten, exiled, down to their last chance, the people who guard this land risk their lives every day to guard a land that has abandoned them against creatures nobody believes are real.  Where it is duty first, and then death.  And all the while, during these very interesting times, when houses will fight for power, and people will be bought and then sold for the slightest chance at more power, their is a storm coming that none of them foresee, that will make all of their actions meaningless in the end.  Then again, when one seems to have all the power, it is unusual that power is what is useful in the end.  This is a story about loyalty and betrayal, lies and deceit, greed and power, life and death, wolves and dragons, brothers and sisters, kings and queens, Eunichs and Bastards, and a love story that may have started it all.  And one mans secret, that may be the key to everything.

Others have already recommended GRRM's Song of Ice and Fire series, so I'll merely add it's the best epic fantasy series out there. Bar none. It is somewhat different to WoT though. More adult, definitely. Possibly more complex. More politics. Less magic to start off with, although gradually that comes into play.

Published so far:

A Game of Thrones

A Clash of Kings

A Storm of Swords

A Feast for Crows

Still to come:

A Dance with Dragons (due in late 2008)

The Winds of Winter

A Dream of Spring

Side-stories:

The Hedge Knight (prequel novella)

The Sworn Sword (sequel to The Hedge Knight)

The Mystery Knight (sequel to The Sworn Sword, due in 2009)

Another series worth checking out is Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen. This is a huge series, much bigger in scope with more characters and plots even than WoT. There are seven books out now, Book 8 is out next month and there's two more to come, plus another five books by Erikson's co-writer Ian Esslemont (one out now, the second in the summer) who is filling in gaps in the main narrative.

This series is a lot more difficult to sum up. Basically, it's the story of the Malazan Empire, a vast multiple-continent-spanning nation which is overstretched by the desire for conquest and the dubious policies of the new, untried Empress. The story begins on the continent of Genabackis, where the Malazan 2nd Army is engaged in a gruelling war against the magically powerful Tiste Andii and the mercenary army known as the Crimson Guard. It then switches to the continent of Seven Cities, where a massive rebellion against the Empire is underway and the Empress has to crush it. Then we switch again to another continent on the far side of the planet where a devastating war between two nations gives birth to a much more powerful empire. At the same time there are a bunch of demigods (or ascendants) battling for control of a shattered magical dimension which will give whoever wields it ultimate power.

Published so far:

Gardens of the Moon

Deadhouse Gates

Memories of Ice

House of Chains

Midnight Tides

The Bonehunters

Reaper's Gale

Still to come:

Toll the Hounds (due out in June 2008)

Dust of Dreams (due in 2009)

The Crippled God (due in 2010)

Side-stories:

The Healthy Dead (novella)

Blood Follows (novella)

The Lees of Laughter's End (novella)

Novels by Ian Cameron Esslemont:

Night of Knives (takes place before Gardens of the Moon)

Return of the Crimson Guard (takes place before and during The Bonehunters and Reaper's Gale)

If you want something that's shorter and already finished, then I heartily recommend Joe Abercrombie's The First Law Trilogy. It's fairly dark and somewhat gritty, but at the same time there's a good sense of humour in there. It's the traditional story of a wise old wizard who gathers together a bunch of companions to go on a quest...except that the wise old wizard is a moody old SOB, the companions aren't exactly heroes and hate one another and the quest isn't very glamourous. Meanwhile, the best character is a twisted torturer with a disturbing sense of humour. It's all great stuff.

The books are:

The Blade Itself

Before They Are Hanged

Last Argument of Kings

Abercrombie is writing a new book set in the same world but unrelated to the main trilogy, called Best Served Cold. That's due next year.

If you want a really long series that will keep you going until well after AMoL comes out, I'd also check out Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar mega-series, which currently comprises some 25 novels starting with the very fine Magician.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

plus grrm's notorious for not caring alot about his main characters which is great, it means as a reader you never get a real chance to get too comfortable with them

Unfortunately I DID get too comfortable with the main characters. Till I realized that GRRM is cold-blooded. He must be an Other!

Really nice though. Very realistic too. I have yet to read book 4.

And don;t use Wikipedia for books synopsis! Its a bundle of spoilers.

Archived