DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Genocide of the sexes

Karthak

I've heard of the war of the sexes, but surely that is too mild an expression for the gender relations in the Wheel of Time. I'm rereading the series, and one thing that makes me want to stop reading very often is the constant flood of negative comments towards men spoken by the female characters. If men were an ethnic group, then Lini would be in prison for inciting racial hatred! Is there a word for female chauvinists? Because if there is, then 99% of the women in the series should be called it.

Not that the men are much better. Perrins, Mats and Rands comments to themselves that THEY are the only ones who can't understand women, but their friends can.....Aaargh!

Compared to the abuse women suffers from in the real world, the attitudes in WOT is nothing more than a minor annnoyance, so I rarely care more than the occasional giggle when it gets too silly. And it is quite refreshing since most fantasy is extremely male-dominated.

I've heard of the war of the sexes, but surely that is too mild an expression for the gender relations in the Wheel of Time.
Why is war too mild an expression?
Is there a word for female chauvinists? Because if there is, then 99% of the women in the series should be called it.
The term chauvinist is not gender specific, so they could just be called chauvinists (or female chauvinists).

Not that the men are much better. Perrins, Mats and Rands comments to themselves that THEY are the only ones who can't understand women, but their friends can.....Aaargh!
If I were one of those three, I would look on the bright side - they may not understand women, but at least they seem to understand men.

Guest Dreadlord

All this being said though (and Iv said this on another post as well) if I was Rand I wouldn't put up with Egwene at all, especially if I found out I could channel.

I think RJ is trying to balance out the male-dominated main storylines. Apart from Egwene, the main players are Rand, Mat and Perrin.

I think he took the abuse that women throw at men every day (normally in a light-hearted way) and just... exaggerated it slightly.

Sorry to break it to you if you arent aware, but women dont all think men are wonderful, beautiful things that should be obeyed at all costs.

;)

Sorry to break it to you if you arent aware, but women dont all think men are wonderful, beautiful things that should be obeyed at all costs.

;)

I am more than aware of that (growing up with a single mother and a sister, as well as a grandmother who could make a crazy bull surrender tends to teach you that), but the way women in the series look DOWN on men is enough to make me froth at the mouth.

Even having been married, to a redhead, I feel that genocide is not the right word to use for this topic.

How many men in the series are killed by women, simply because they're men.  None.  I'll grant that we see members of the Black Ajah kill indiscriminantly, but that's not gender related, it's a good/evil thing.

I look at a couple like my grandparents.  Born in the early 1920s, they celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary in 2002, a few months before my Granddad passed away at the age of 80.  My grandfather could hear a pin drop.  Unless my grandmother was asking him a question.  He would  "what"  just enough times necessary to get her to raise her voice.  He thought it was hysterical.  They were as happy the last day they were married as they were the first.  After he passed, I spliied the beans about his hearing and she just laughed.  She'd known all about it but allowed him to have his fun in front of others.  

When I read the scenes with Bran and Marin al'Vere, I think of my grandparents.

I find it funny when the women look sort of down on the men, especially because the men don't give a damn about those opinions. If the men went whining around the women then I would be annoyed but it is not so .....so good.

However, Rand/Perrin/Mat each thinking that the other 2 know how to deal with women does drive me insane. It is mentioned far too frequently. This is however the character would think so it is REAL but it is still annoying.

RAND AL THOR, think about your circle of friends.

In any circle of friends, there are a couple that just naturally charm the ladies and a couple who wish they were better.

I think the Mat/Rand/Perrin POVs where they think about the others skills with the opposite sex is perfectly in sync with real life situations.

That's the power of RJ's writing, when he get's it right, he hit's it square.

Another thing you need to realize about the three boys at least is they are boys. It would be the same as the novices in the white tower all giggling and checking out Galad and Gawyn, Rand and company are late teens that are still insecure around girls (old and young). Look at Rand in Fal Dara who won't dare take a bath until the early hours so he won't be there when the ladies are there. Yes, he's the Dragon Reborn and he is maturing swiftly, but he still is insecure. Another example that I think applies is when the Maidens were joking and Rand tells his rooster joke. He feels insecure that the Maidens don't think he has a sense of humor, just because he doesn't understand theirs.

Anyway, just a thought.

TRAKAND 01 THAT HURT!!! *tries to pull the arrow out of his heart* I am so deeply offended I think I will die!! Just give me a little water... ;D

Tut, you woolhead! If you dont start seeing sense soon, I'm going to box your ears!

;) ;D

I'm with trakand 01 on this one.  Some of our friends have recently been thru divorce, and believe me the WOT laidies are TAME compared to some of the female victims of that process.  Besides, using Caddy as an example harldly helps - she treats both sexes like you know what.

A womans rights are what she flamin' well says they are

There's a well-known phrase in the UK of "What's yours is mine and what's mine is yours."

Women re-word it to "What's yours is mine and what's mine's my own."

I've always found it works well...  :P

You know I kinda agree with Karthak (sp?) on the negativity of women in tWoT, but in my recent re-read I've noticed that most of the negativity is limited to two woman.  Nynaeve and Faile.  Every other woman in the series has those moments where they say "Men!" and throw up there hands and roll there eyes, but Nynaeve and Faile are really the only ones I've seen that truly believe women are superior to men.  They truly believe that men are stupid and can't function without a woman to hold their hand.  Nynaeve I can sympathize with a little because she is so insecure about EVERYTHING that she tries to make up for it by bossing everyone around.  Faile on the other hand just annoys me.  She's just a snotty b*tch that needs to get over her self and stop treating her husband like crap just because he can't read her mind.

Guest Dreadlord

Ditto on the Faile thing. She is the most annoying female character in the series.

Nynaeve though, runs in joint second place with as my favourite female character, Moiraine being in 1st place.

Quote "Tut, you woolhead! If you don't start seeing sense soon, I'm going to box your ears!" Unquote.

I laughed my $*%^ off!! I read that and I pictured a woman who looked like Mary Poppins, acted like Nynaeve and behaved like Siuan! That was CLASSIC!!

Guest Dreadlord

Nynaeve though, runs in joint second place with as my favourite female character, Moiraine being in 1st place.

UNQUOTE

Correction of my own post. I meant to say Nynaeve runs in joint second with Aviendha, Moiraine being my favourite female character overall

RAND AL THOR, think about your circle of friends.

In any circle of friends, there are a couple that just naturally charm the ladies and a couple who wish they were better.

I think the Mat/Rand/Perrin POVs where they think about the others skills with the opposite sex is perfectly in sync with real life situations.

That's the power of RJ's writing, when he get's it right, he hit's it square.

Perfectly true. R/P/M all thinking that the other knows how to deal with women is very realistic. No denying that. However, it is repeated so much that is gets exceptionally annoying. The idea is expressed in almost the exact same words each time it appears in the books and that is driving me mad.

While its realistic, I wished RJ had expressed it in a way that doesn't grow annoying.

;)

The funniest part in the series is in tEoTW, when Perrin and Egwene leave the tinkers. Dont have the book with me, I'd love a quote.

The whole book is pretty much based on the difference between men and women. I mean look at Asha'man and Aes Sedai, the way they act, channel, how they work together, the politics, even down to cats and dogs. Its one of the most important details in the book. And thats good, coz men and women are different (not better or worse, just different). And many of the things in the book are true. For example, I know women who will talk about absolutely anything, to the point I either leave the room or sponteously combust from the heat in my face.

As for the 3 boys thinking the other was better with women, its true. I was jealous for years coz a friend could be really outgoing with strange girls and talk to them like hed known them for years, then i found out he was jealous of me because those same girls found my aloofness 'mysterious and attractive'.

Archived