A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Different points of view

trakand_01

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn straight Corbett!

GO AVS!!!

Theodore practiced today and should be back for Saturday's game.  I hope everyone else stays healthy after losing Wolski but Forsberg is questionable.

It's such a shame that Lacrosse runs concurrently with Hockey as the Colorado Mammoth lead the West in the NLL and are playoff bound with one game left in their season.

In case you all haven't quessed, my dirty little secret is that I love sports about the same as reading.  If I could do both at the same time it'd be great.

Pretty much how I feel about European football.  Can someone score already. 

I was very disappointed when the Avs resigned Forsberg but that makes me one out of 3 million.

I was originally a major Nordiques fan (SAVE BY ROY!!!) but the team moved to Denver right about the time I did so transferring my loyalties was easy.

What I really find interesting and you need some background for this, but how this has almost turned into a sport dialougue as a background dialougue.

The background is that my father was a Basketball and football coach for well over 20 years. I thought growing up that there wasn't anything but sports. I don't think I watched a musical (besides Paint Your Wagon) until I was a teenager. Our summer vacations were scheduled around where the Angels, Dodgers, or Cardinals (baseball teams for you who don't know), would be playing. We would drive into a city and go see the stadiums even if there wasn't a game on. Now, I thought this was common to everyone. Then as I grew up (supposedly) I found out that there was other things than sports. Music concerts, etc. That people didn't have to follow a certain sport or team and they weren't freaks!! Imagine that! 

Now, on this website. Everyone is talking about sports and maybe I wasn't an exception after all!!! lol By the way, aevogt. I agree totally that you have to be there to enjoy Baseball!

How could you be dissapointed when we signed Forsberg. He is a great player and he brings alot to the team. Our record wiht him in the line up proves it. We are 13-4 with him in. It has given us a great boost and I cant wait to have our names engraved on the cup again. Of course if it had been o question of Forsberg and Sakic, Super Joe all the way.

When you say Hockey do you mean land-hockey or ice hockey? I love Ice Hockey, in sheffield we have the Steelers and the Scimitars. Ron Shudra used to play for one and now plays for the other, there are some other ex-NHL players too but I'm ashamed I dont know who they are! We saw the Rangers in NY (v Stars) and also boston uni v cornell uni (the best game i've ever been to). We're off to Vancouver in 2 weeks but are gutted the canucks are out of the playoffs.

Trakand_01 - If they're not on ice, it's not Hockey.

Corbett - Forsberg is a great player, I just think he's a little too prone to injury.  Peter's pretty tough but there is only so much the human body can take before it really starts to break down. 

Did I mention before now that I really like Hockey?

I'm 18 yrs old and was introduced to WOT in September 2007. I read all the books in the six months after that. I have finished my AL and am intending to go the university in Canada for medicine (I'm in Sri lanka by the way). I try to accept  a variety of cultures but sri lankan culture is very different from western. As a result certain aspects in WOT are a little difficult for me to accept. I don't approve of sex-before-marriage. No offence meant to anyone. This is my personal view. Please dont take it personally.

Hopefully I'll become more tolerant of different cultures after going abroad. I'm a Hindu as well. I've written stuff for several years (just short stories). Recently I got an award at a science-fiction writing competition organized by the University of Colombo. (It was an all-island contest). I got re-inspired by that and am currently planning a large story. Unfortunately, WOT ideas keep popping up and I am having trouble weeding them out. I want to write something unique! I dont want even 1% criticism like Goodking is receiving.

Dats about it. And I imagined Luckers to be more old than 20. That was a suprise. His answers are often 'wise.' Furthermore , trakand, you are one of the most balanced people on this forum. Hats off to you.  :D

Well, I might respond to this as well... I do read almost everything but very seldom post anything.

So, what should I say about myself? Having read through this thread it seems I could say whatever, but that's not the point, is it? Why respond at all if I'm not going to tell the truth?

I'm 37, living in Sweden, in a small town at the west coast, with my husband (married 6 years this june), and two children. Been reading WoT for about 12 years now (CoS was the first one I had to wait for, up to LoC I have in paperback, the others in hardcover). Currently in LoC... taking more notes this time through so it's slow going... usually I read two or three books at the same time - one of them WoT.

Work as a librarian, made my thesis on why and how young women read fantasy ... and have right now a group (only boys though) who read WoT and discuss it (yes, I like my work...!) They're currently on tDR, but most of them has read all of it before. Don't think anyone of them is here though  ???. The goal is to get finished just in time for aMoL.

Am a Christian, and quite active in our church. Doesn't mean I'm a fanatic, but who knows how other people see me? At least I have no problems with those who do not belive as I do. As long as they respect my wiev I'll respect theirs, and  most of my friends are not christian... From time to time I get challenged about fantasy, somehow some people think all fantasy is bad for you, and as a christian you should not read it? Well, I've made some of them change their wiev  ;D

More curious? Then ask... Threads like this are fun, and enlightening. It's a fashinating thought that we come from such different places, and though being so different we all have at least one thing in common...

I'm 18 yrs old and was introduced to WOT in September 2007. I read all the books in the six months after that. I have finished my AL and am intending to go the university in Canada for medicine (I'm in Sri lanka by the way). I try to accept  a variety of cultures but sri lankan culture is very different from western. As a result certain aspects in WOT are a little difficult for me to accept. I don't approve of sex-before-marriage. No offence meant to anyone. This is my personal view. Please dont take it personally.

Hopefully I'll become more tolerant of different cultures after going abroad. I'm a Hindu as well. I've written stuff for several years (just short stories). Recently I got an award at a science-fiction writing competition organized by the University of Colombo. (It was an all-island contest). I got re-inspired by that and am currently planning a large story. Unfortunately, WOT ideas keep popping up and I am having trouble weeding them out. I want to write something unique! I dont want even 1% criticism like Goodking is receiving.

Dats about it. And I imagined Luckers to be more old than 20. That was a suprise. His answers are often 'wise.' Furthermore , trakand, you are one of the most balanced people on this forum. Hats off to you.  :D

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine when you journey to Canada, and I very much wish you luck. I don't think that your cultural beliefs will hinder you in any way at all, and anyone who IS offended is either not very comfortable with themselves and their actions, or is simply not worth your concern.

With regards to me being balanced, why thank you very much!! I'm sure I know some people who would disagree though - frankly, most people I know think i'm a raving loon  ;D

I might also add that as an English woman, I am very proud of my nation - not least our ability to pick ourselves up and brush ourselves off, then climb back on the horse.

It does humble me, however, that although I was fortunate enough to be born speaking this language of ours, how excellently others speak our language also.

I had friends at school who used to laugh, make jokes when people from other countries would pronounce english words incorrectly, or use the wrong word entirely for a sentence - I however, never laughed - that they could put a sentence together in my language and make themselves understood is much, much more than I could ever do in their language and that is a fault of the vast majority of english-speaking people.

I'm 23 and live in England (Ipswich to be exact). I very very rarely post, though I do lurk a fair bit.

I'd say that my attitude towards life is more or less "live and let live, so long as you don't sit in my seat." I'm mistrustful of window cleaners and my biggest fear in life is probably that one day my glasses will slide off and land in the toilet while I'm taking a tinkle.

I'm an atheist with almost zero political interest. I say almost because while I find politics and politicians distasteful in general, I do like watching Have I Got News For You.

Music wise I stick mostly to rock and/or roll, television and film is mostly comedies, though I am prone to the occasional Batman obsession. Favourite sports are Mixed Martial Arts (UFC and the like) and Football (Liverpool fan).

I started reading WoT around autumn of last year, so luckily this is the first wait for the next book I've had to suffer. I can't really say what made me pick it up to begin with though. I think it wost mostly that I was looking for an "epic" fantasy series and Eye of the World somehow caught my eye.

I'm pretty sure this is the most I've ever written about myself, and probably far more than anyone will ever want to know.

We also have field hockey and recent fad that involves roller blades.  Now, I'm anything but a traditionalist, but it doesn't feel right without the ice. 

Personally, I prefer Lacrosse over just about everything else being played out there.  It's derived from a game the Native Americans have played for thousands of years in this land and that appeals to the Historian in me.  Growing up in upstate NY, if you study the local history, you learn a lot about the people who were really here first.

One of the things I like about these books, something that has been brought out weel by this thread is that they can appeal to pretty much anyone, regardless of their background or leanings. 

We seem to have both ends of the political and religious spectrums, from just about everywhere ion the planet and that appeals to me as well.

I am also a laccrose fan, altough hockey and soccer, footbal for the rest of the world, tka eprecidence. My best friends family is all from ENgland so he corrupted me. I agree that is is amaizing how far reaching this story is to people from all places and culture. The only people that I cant get to read WoT are the ones who have a hate of reading built into them by reading terrible and boring books in English class.

I agree completely Corbett. It is a shame when you are forced to read what some people deem "Classic". There are some classics that are good reads and I have read most, but being forced to was one of the reasons I did so bad in school. If it interested me, I would read it. If it didn't I wouldn't and my grades suffered accordingly.  It's nice to know that it is slowly changing and teachers are putting guidelines of "Read a New York Times Bestseller of at least 200 pages." I have way too many friends who will not read because of school and its sad because all they say is "Well, I've seen the movie, isn't that enough". My little sister is one of these. You can't explain how much they are missing. It's sad...

A bit more about me.

I believe in God, but not religion. If that makes sense to you, then your a lot wiser than those others I have told. I was baptised a catholic however. I am open minded when it comes to other cultures, knowing that althought there are things in their culture that may make me uncomfortable, i'm sure there are things in mine that do the same to them. That is one of the best aspects of the WoT book, you get to seen the cultures of the nations, and the wierd stereotypes associated with them (for a clearer picture, look at the meeting with Aviendha and the Sea Folk, thats hilarious!)

I never gotten into ice hockey, but I used to play field hockey as a kid, and cricket. I was also a surfer until I wiped out and cracked my backbone.

I'm 23 and live in England (Ipswich to be exact). I very very rarely post, though I do lurk a fair bit.

I'd say that my attitude towards life is more or less "live and let live, so long as you don't sit in my seat." I'm mistrustful of window cleaners and my biggest fear in life is probably that one day my glasses will slide off and land in the toilet while I'm taking a tinkle.

I'm an atheist with almost zero political interest. I say almost because while I find politics and politicians distasteful in general, I do like watching Have I Got News For You.

Music wise I stick mostly to rock and/or roll, television and film is mostly comedies, though I am prone to the occasional Batman obsession. Favourite sports are Mixed Martial Arts (UFC and the like) and Football (Liverpool fan).

I started reading WoT around autumn of last year, so luckily this is the first wait for the next book I've had to suffer. I can't really say what made me pick it up to begin with though. I think it wost mostly that I was looking for an "epic" fantasy series and Eye of the World somehow caught my eye.

I'm pretty sure this is the most I've ever written about myself, and probably far more than anyone will ever want to know.

Well thanks for sharing it all.

I bet you're excited - good luck for tonight - I went to Uni in Liverpool and would love to see a North West Derby  ;D

I believe in God, but not religion.

I think that's a very sensible view, as quite often you find that 'religion' means more than 'belief'. The doctrines of a particular faith tend to take over how the person behaves, rather than simply having a belief, and that being enough.

From time to time I get challenged about fantasy, somehow some people think all fantasy is bad for you, and as a christian you should not read it?

Narnia, anyone?

I am 52, a physician, living in the US.  I love college football and like to read fantasy.  I have 2 children, one starting college and one finishing HS in 2 yrs. 

Have been reading and rereading WOT since there were only 3 books written in the series.

My only complaint about the series is the long wait between books. Of course if we did not have those, the story would be long done and none of us would have kept rereading all the books to try to find all the small cluse and details that make it so interesting.

I enjoy what little time I spend on the board.  Also enjoyed this thread.

You hear this saying a lot in the states.

"I love God but I'm not so crazy about his gang"  Referring to the organized religion.

Fortunately, I was not raised in an environment that was not overly relisioug but did encourage independent thinking, which allowed me to form my own brand of spirituality, at my own pace.  You would have loved my Grandfather, he was the original mad scientist in our town, clouds of smoke billowing out of his workshop.

I think it's fine to use religion to teach "big" things like morals and values.  What I disagree with is when people use a 2000 year old book to try to organize their everyday life in a very complex modern world. 

I have always had a problem with "arbitrariness" (is that even a word)  Growing up, I made life difficult on my grandparents because the reason

"because I said so" just didn't work on me. 

Sorry, I didn't intend to turn this thread into a comment on religious values.

Actually I think it is quite relevant - in my personal experience, what a person believes - or doesnt - has quite a profound impact on their outlook on the world.

With reference to the 'god' versus 'religion' issue - at University I knew two 'christians'. One was CofE and very religious. Entire family was religious, she went to church every sunday and could be found in a mad panic if she woke up late on a sunday - purely because, if she didnt visit the church on time, people would think badly of her. She so wanted to wear makeup and nice clothes but was frequently told by her mother that only harridans and whores got dressed up, so she avoided it in the name of 'virtue' and her holy virginity.

The other friend had been baptised catholic but didnt go to church, preferred instead to say a little prayer all by herself at any time of day, insisting that simply 'talking' to some greater being lightened her soul.

The last I heard of the first friend, she was on anti-depressants and still attended church and other religious events to a strict timetable, still had heavy expectations on her shoulders to marry and have children.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine when you journey to Canada, and I very much wish you luck. I don't think that your cultural beliefs will hinder you in any way at all, and anyone who IS offended is either not very comfortable with themselves and their actions, or is simply not worth your concern.

With regards to me being balanced, why thank you very much!! I'm sure I know some people who would disagree though - frankly, most people I know think i'm a raving loon  ;D

THanks a lot. You are actually one of the people I respect the most on this site. (no flattery intended-just the simple truth.)

From time to time I get challenged about fantasy, somehow some people think all fantasy is bad for you, and as a christian you should not read it?

Narnia, anyone?

Hehe, yes, Narnia is what I ususally start with.

Those people (not the librarians though *s*) ofter looks at me blankly and say "Narnia who?"

Those who actually know about C. S. Lewis say something like "Oh, has he done that too?" and then tries to explain why Narnia is the (one) exception ... *sigh* Well, I do try...

Let's not forget the Lewis also borrowed from Norse mythology as well as Christian. 

Most notably, his character Fenris Ulf.  Obviously this is a nod the the Wolf Fenrir that bit off the hand of Tyr.  Sure, it's only a name but it makes a fairly eloquent statement that while Lewis was certainly a great writer and the Narnia tales were a parable of the Christian faith, he was knowledgable in other things.

I like where this thread has gone, it makes me feel like I'm 19 and back in college.  Now all I need is a 12-pack and a funnel.

Archived