DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Why was Lord Luc/Slayer in the Emonds Field?

When Amys was telling Rand about how his father (Janduin - with an A!!!) died, she says that he couldn't attack the man who was killing him (who we assume is Luc), because he looked so much like Shaiel/Tigraine, who he loved. So, assuming that Luc and his sister look so alike, would you expect Tam to have recognised Luc as looking similair to the woman he found on the mountain (Tigraine - rand's mom)? Even if it isn't mentioned (it isn't) it could still be brought up later, if rand and his father meet up, and it'd be a pretty interesting point...

Does Rand know what Tigraine looked like? There must be a painting of her somewhere in the Andoran palace as Elayne knows what she looks like and she ran away before Elayne was born...I would say not, but it might just not have been in the books.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Majsju

Keep in mind that when Tam "met" Tigraine she was dying, frozen and had just given birth. I don't think she looked very much like herself. And when Luc was in Emond's field he was 20 years older than he was when he killed Janduin. I don't think there was a resemblance between the two strong enough to sound a bell in Tam's head.

I think if Rand wants to see what Tigraine he just needs to loolk in a mirror. Several people have commented on him being an almost spitting image of her.

And there was a reconician(?) moment with Luc. in tSR Perrin was thinking about who looked like (he was thinking about Slayer [isam] and that puzzle) he thought that Slayer looked like Lan and Luc "if he looked like anyone it would be Rand."

Keep in mind though that Rand has certain Aiel features, and was born to someone Tam thought was Aiel. No one would have any reason to make a serious connection between the two other then the "My, my, they look enough alike to be related. What a strange coincidence."... which, they do.

I think an interesting point has been brought up in this thread.

When we look at the characters involved here, we see somethng in common between Fain, Slayer...and Rand.

What is it?

They are all one person composed of two melded personalities.

Slayer=Luc/Isam

Fain=The Hound/Mordeth

Rand=The Dragon Reborn and Lews Therin

In Rand's case, he's obviuslt more complex. On top of it all, he seems to be melding with another sseparate personality in Moridin.

A lot has been made in this series regarding opposite forces working with each other as well as against.

Rand is connected to his oppostite, Moridin, stragely enough. At the same time he has to contend with an insane Lews Therin, who is as different from Rand as you can get, personality-wise, yet they seem to be changing each other.

Fain, it is quite clear what the opposing forces are here. You have Shadar Logoth, the realm of Mordeth, the most corrupted place south of the Blight. Then you have Fain's incarnation of the hound, who is altered in Shayol Ghul, the most corrupted place...well, anywhere. Throughout the books we see Fain's personality shift between several incarnations, all gradients of the two opposing personalities.

Slayer is a very intersting mix indeed. You have Isam, whose bloodline is that of a fallen nation. His parents are the cause of the fall of that nation of Malkier. On the other side you have Luc, whose bloodline is the key to the world's salvation, and the thrones of Andor and Cairhien on a slightly smaller scale. Luc may have been the exact opposite of Isam if you just look at their backgrounds. It may not seem so with teh way Luc acts in the Two Rivers episode, but remember, when the two personalities are together long enough, they begin to phase into one another. Who is to say that Luc wasn't a decent person with a deep sense of duty? I mean look; He was heir to a royal lineage. He had teh world at his feet, but he went off to the Blight of all places because of the word of an Aes Sedai. I don't care f she is Aes Sedai, I'd balk at essentially giving up my life of privilege because some lady who has visions told me to. One possibility also is that in some way, Gitara used some form of Compulsion on those who were involved in her visions, therefore making sure that her visions came true.

That's just a thought.

In any case, you can see in these three (or six, depends on how you look at it) characters, that their similar situations do indeed connect them and it appears to be a setup to a showdown between them.

• 15 years later...

Excerpt from The Shadow Rising, Chapter 42: A Missing Leaf, page 695 (on a kindle):

"It was only a few hundred to begin, Goldeneyes. Just enough to keep those fool Whitecloaks off balance and see that the renegade died." Slayer's voice became angry. ' "The Shadow consume me if that man does not have more luck than the White Tower." Abruptly he chuckled. "But you, Goldeneyes. Your presence was a surprise. There are those who want your head on a pike. Your precious Two Rivers will be harrowed from end to end, now, to root you out.
What do you say to that, Goldeneyes?"