DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

YES!!!! Movie news you never saw coming...

Emperor

We were stoked to find out that there was going to be a new Bill & Ted movie, thinking that Keanu Reeves and Alex Winter would totally rock it as middle-aged Bill and Ted, but we are dismayed to learn that what's actually happening is another remake, this time updating the not-terribly-in-need-of-an-update Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

The only changes we know anything about relate to the change of the phone booth to something "more funky," and an updating of the characters who will be part of their school presentation will include Gandhi and Calamity Jane.

Bogus.

The historical dudes will be stodgy and unbelievable, the Stallyns will ham it up and suck, and the stuff that dates the movies to 1990 will simply be replaced with stuff dating the remake to 2010 for everyone to gag at in 2030, while continuing to enjoy the original as classic.

Heinous.

Noooooo!!

I can't imagine a modern remake would be anything other than a failure.

This kind of reminds me of a couple of weeks ago when I was teaching a lab. I really want my students to succeed so I try to use examples and things that will relate to them, so if I can I try to use pop culture and movie references.  In this one lab I referenced "Wayne's World"  and a group of my students actually said "We don't watch old movies".

Yeah, I reference Bill and Ted, as well as Back to the Future all the time in my history classes. The kids just stare at me like I've lost my mind.  Maybe they'll stop doing that now.

• Community Administrator

Can you picture it now?

2, teen ager guys, who are probably blonde with spiked hair, and look like they take it up the bum, listening to backstreet boys, and Nysync, talking TxT-speak...

This movie, sounds full of phailure.

http://io9.com/375484/bill-and-teds-completely-unnecessary-remake

The main differences are that the phone Bill and Ted use to travel through time isn't an old-school phone booth, but something "funkier." Their band is called the Atomic Gorillas instead of the Wyld Stallyns. The script is supposedly full of "hip" pop culture references for today's kids, like Bill and Ted worrying they're going to miss The Dark Knight. No clue whether there's a George Carlin character this time around, or who might play him. There are a lot fewer "Whoas."

Atomic Gorillas. The screenwriter was trying to get this movie rejected by the producers. Begging.

Also... "full of 'hip' pop culture references for today's kids". You know exactly what this means. By the time the movie comes out, those references will be 2-3 years old, meaning from the time the movie is shown for the very first time at the very first theater, it will be painfully dated.

Ask.com had it right. They hate the algorithm. The algorithm for a worthwhile movie.

Archived