DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Arrival at last

Ryusai wandered around the streets of Tar Valon. It had taken him a while to get here, but he had finally made it. Craning his neck upwards, Ryusai's eyes looked up to the top of what had to be the White Tower. I heard it was big....but this is a little much....

Ryusai shook his head and grinned a little to himself. With Aes Sedai around, he'd probably get used to seeing unatural stuff happen. After all, if I'm going to become a Warder I'll have to get used to it sooner or later. Ryusai thought to himself.

"Speaking of which...." Despite managing to make it this far, Ryusai wasn't sure exactly HOW one went about becoming a Warder. I wonder if its like an apprentice or something... Swallowing the small lump that was forming in his throat, Ryusai headed off in the direction of the White Tower. All the stories he had heard back at the Lazy Sow had paired Warders and Aes Sedai together. And whilst he didn't believe all he heard in those stories, it still made sense if Aes Sedai lived in the White Tower, there should be some Warders nearby too.

Deneira was smiling as she left the dress shop. She still couldnt believe that Shawn had asked her out on a date as... a real date. But even more shocking to her was the fact they were going dancing! So of course, Deneira had to get a dress. And it was her first dress... ever. She had worn one of Lyv's, once, and she had borrowed one from an Aes Sedai she had met, but this was her first real dress... the first one she had bought herself, the first one she owened. She even had shoes to go with it.

It was a red dress, lower cut, and a tight waist. The slippers were red, too, and felt soft when she wore them. Of course, right then and there, she had them all wrapped up, and she was in her training uniform. She would never DARE to get such precious items ruined with dust and mud. no, it would be horrid... completely ruin their date.

A boy ahead of her in the crowd stopped, and she walked into him, almost dropping her package. He began apologising, and she checked everything, making sure it was alright. "No, no, its fine, I promise."

He looked like a trainee, he had that whole... "wanna-be warder" look. But she hadnt seen him around the yard. Perhaps he was new. "Excuse me, but are you a trainee at the warders yard?" Well, she had to be blunt... she didnt really have time to beat around the bush.

Ryusai blinked. "No...no Ma'am. But I was hoping to be. Can you point me in the right direction? I was just planning on heading towards the tower and ask from there. I haven't been to Tar Valon before"

Hoping his explanation didn't make him sound like much more of a wool head after bumping into her, Ryusai finally noticed what she was wearing. Kind of weird clothes for a woman.. He thought. All the women he had seen wore dresses, as was the normal way of things. Giving a mental shrug, Ryusai put it down to being near Aes Sedai. Nothing was normal when it came to those woman.

Oh, so it was a new trainee. The way he was looking at her, he almost seemed in disbelief. Honestly, if he looked at every girl the way he was looking at her, the Aes Sedai would skin him alive, and Ginae would hang him up by his ears. He had better get used to Tar Valon, too. It was going to be his new home, and Tar Valon was like the world training center... It was where the things taught behind walls could come alive.

Walking past him, she beckoned him to follow. "Then you are coming with me. Hurry up, I'll take you to Ginae, then I have to get over to the Tower Guard Barracks. Where you need to go is a bit out of my way, but thats ok. Hurry up, boy." He looked at her strange, then she realised that no introductions had been made. "Oh, my apologies." She offered him her hand, and he took it. "Deneira l'Spada, I'm a Tower Guard, and Ginae is the Mistresss of Trainees, who you need to see."

He looked at her a bit in shock, still holding, but not shaking her hand. "And you are..."

Oh, so it was a new trainee. The way he was looking at her, he almost seemed in disbelief. Honestly, if he looked at every girl the way he was looking at her, the Aes Sedai would skin him alive, and Ginae would hang him up by his ears. He had better get used to Tar Valon, too. It was going to be his new home, and Tar Valon was like the world training center... It was where the things taught behind walls could come alive.

Walking past him, she beckoned him to follow. "Then you are coming with me. Hurry up, I'll take you to Ginae, then I have to get over to the Tower Guard Barracks. Where you need to go is a bit out of my way, but thats ok. Hurry up, boy." He looked at her strange, then she realised that no introductions had been made. "Oh, my apologies." She offered him her hand, and he took it. "Deneira l'Spada, I'm a Tower Guard, and Ginae is the Mistresss of Trainees, who you need to see."

He looked at her a bit in shock, still holding, but not shaking her hand. "And you are..."

Ryusai blinked. "Umm...Ryusai...and I'm.....well gratful I guess." Ryusai finally remembered to shake the woman's hand and let go, falling in beside her as she walked.

Looking around as they walked, Ryusai was surprised to see Tar Valon was such a clean city. Paved roads, painted buildings, whilst he guessed he should be surprised considering where he was, Ryusai was still impressed. It was a far cry from the hovel of a town he had left behind.

Curiousity getting the better of him as they walked, Ryusai spoke. "Excuse me Deneira...ma'am?" The title ended up coming out as more of a question then a statement. Ryusai wasn't sure what title he was supposed to use with the oddly dressed woman. "What exactly am I supposed to do when I meet the Mistresss of Trainees?"

Deneira saw many people as they walked, and she smiled and waved to all she knew. Of course, she had to... many were her friends, and of course, she had to be sociable. Not being such would be... wrong. It would flat out be wrong for Deneira. He spoke up, and she regained her thoughts.

"The Mistress of Trainees... well, its been a few years, but I can remember sort of stumbling into her office, and she got some information off of me, then gave me to a mentor to take care of... usually, its the first TG she can get her hands on... and it will not be me, because I will run if she tries to give me another student."

Laughing, she winked at him as they walked. "Whatever you do, dont comment on Ginae's hair. I havent seen her for a while, but last I saw, it was barely growing back in, and still blue. I suggest not staring at it either..." Giggling, Deneira continued to the tower, taking a street, knowing they were almost there. "Only a little bit more to go. So, tell me about yourself."

Ryusai shrugged. "Umm...not much to tell really. I got sick of being abused and being mop boy at the inn so I thought I'd things over here." As the words left his mouth, Ryusai realised how pathetic they must seem. "Guess it's not all that good of a reason is it, eh?"

Noticing they were getting closer and closer to the White Tower, Ryusai looked up as they walked. It seemed to him as if Tower tilt slightly as he walked. Blinking a bit to clear his vision, Ryusai admired the White Tower as it stretched into the clear blue sky......and the brown brick wall as it came out of nowhere to hit him hit in the face.

Shaking his head in confusion, Ryusai reached a hand to his face to check he was alright. There was no blood fortunately, but his cheeks felt a bit rough...and probably looked a bit red as well. Quickly standing back up, Ryusai realised he had walked into an archway instead of through it. Sidestepping, Ryusai picked up his pace to catch up to Deneira, who unfortunately was looking at him as she was waiting on the the other side of the archway.

"Umm..sorry about that..." Ryusai mumbled as an apology. It wasn't his fault the wall had it in for him.....

Deneira heard a clunk, and turned around in time to see him rubbing at his face, and shaking his head. How could he have walked into a wall? fool boy... She hit her mouth behidn her hand, laughing. He caught up, and she nodded. the guards were all laughing too. He had better watch out... the next day, he would be the trainee that walked into the wall, and no one would let him live that one down.

Leading him to Ginae's office, she passed Mateo... that idiot. She still hated him. Ever since that first day, when she had broken his nose. She always hated him... big oaf! He glared at her, and she smiled sweetly to him. "Stay away from him." She whispered. "That man will only get you into trouble!" Ryusai nodded, and she led him into Ginae's office.

"Ginae, this is Ryusai, new kid, meet the Mistress of Trainees. I think I'm going to leave now, before I get told to mentor!" With that, Christine slipped out the door, running off before Ginae could say anything.

After a long discussion with a mentor and a trainee about the misbehaviour of said trainee, Ginae settled back in her chair with her hands behind her head. This was one of those days were everyone seemed to need her assistance. Even her short moment of peace was interrupted by a knock on her door. She opened her eyes slowly, letting her arms drop to her sides again. “Come in!†she shouted, closing the book that was in front of her. It was meant for progress tracking, and something told her this wasn’t about progress at all. Her hunch turned out to be true as Deneira popped in and out of her office, leaving her with a rather confused looking young man. “Right… well, that was short. Remind me to talk to her about that later.†she muttered before focussing her attention on the young man standing in front of her desk.

“Well? Have a seat. Something tells me we’re going to be here a while.†She picked up another book from the shelf behind her and opened it. It was the fabled book of trainees, where all new arrivals were recorded. “So… Ryusai, was it? My name is Ginae Auvriani. I’m the Mistress of Trainees here. That means I’m the person you come to when you have problems your mentor can’t solve, and I’m the person your mentor comes to when you’ve gotten yourself into trouble.†She paused for a moment, pondering on how to continue. “Very well then, let’s get you signed up. Tell me a bit about yourself, Ryusai.â€

Ryusai scratched the back of his head. "Umm....there's not much to tell really. I used to work at the Lazy Sow Inn in a small village, and thats all I've really known." Ryusai tried to think of something else to add, since it sounded rather pathetic even to his ears.

"I'm also pretty good with horses. But besides tending horses and cleaning, there wasn't really much that I used to do there...." Ryusai knew it wasn't much, but it was all he had to tell. He hoped who wouldn't be told to leave because of his lack of experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Mateo was walking towards the barracks when he passed by the Mistress of Trainees office. Usually he tried to avoid being near her office as she always had a way of getting him to do things without realizing it. Today though he was in no hurry to avoid her. He hadn't had anything to do in months and was ready for work no matter what it was. Besides who was to say that she even had any work for him to do. There hadn't really been a lot of new trainees lately and he wasn't the best mentor there was in the yards anyway.