DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane

benr

Moghedien was the one that broke Nyneave block

UNQUOTE

Wasnt it when Nynaeve and Lan were on the boat? Im sure it was Lan that did it. Im sure she was with Lan the first time she channels without being angry, and Lan was there, and Moghedien wasnt. I thought it was Lan who did it subconsciously

she broke her block in the cabin of the sinking ship by giving up and preparing to die(ala the surrendering aspect necessary for saidar).

I can't stop praising RJ for that wonderful scene. It was so logical and well written!

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dreadlord

I always thought Nynaeve was angry in that scene. That wasnt the one where Lan was on the boat-Lan appeared out of nowhere to rescue her. It was a different time when she broke the block I thought

I always thought Nynaeve was angry in that scene. That wasnt the one where Lan was on the boat-Lan appeared out of nowhere to rescue her. It was a different time when she broke the block I thought

Nynaeve was in the cabin of the boat, and Lan is trying to catch up with her. The boat is balefired, causing it to skip backwards in the river, and instantly sink halfway. Nynaeve finds herself suddenly in a capsized boat, cabin half full of water. She swims downward to the door, only to find it pressed against the mud of the river bottom. She tries again and again to reach the source or to escape without saidar, but doesn't manage. On the verge of suffocating from oxygen deprivation (the co2 is building up in the remaining air), she finally lets go, and surrenders.

Saidar fills her, she explodes the boat outwards, and swims toward the surface. Meanwhile, Lan has to get his boatmen to turn around and go BACK to the boat they had just been following, and then dive in after Nynaeve.  At which point he hauls her out by the braid and shoves her into the boat he just jumped from. She frantically uses saidar to dry herself and whisk away the riverwater she just vomited up, despairing that she and Lan would meet again with her a disheveled wreck. In the ensuing conversation about Myrelle, she realizes that she's not angry.

• 8 years later...

This thread deserves a bump.

I have long been somewhat troubled by Cadsuane's sudden appearance.  So much of later threads are forshadowed that (on third, fourth, and subsequent) read-thrus, I kept looking for some clue of her existence in earlier books.  I haven't found any.  Was she a "late addition", inserted to enhance the story, or have I missed something?

I like her very much, but while I totally understand that RJ had to put her into the series as a counterbalance, but I still find her sudden appearance disturbing.

1. many things were mapped out

2. many ones weren't at all

I put Caddy into both categories :laugh:

Oh, and one more thing. Other (now non-existing) fansites had always looked down on dragonmount.com, but I have never met more passionated comments like this one below (it's a classic BTD) elsewhere.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:25 PM

I admire Robert Jordan for being willing to try to flesh out the scraps of Eddas that have come down to us and write a comprehensive Ragnarok. I admire him additionally for trying to give us more rounded, three-dimensional characters.

But, this is fantasy. The Good Guys are supposed to be larger-than-life heroes, and the Bad Gus are supposed to be even larger-than-life villains. More rounded characters are better than one-dimensional cardboard cutouts, but rather than give us an array of well-rounded people, he gave us nothing but greedy, unthinking children. Not a real hero or villain in the lot. Just a bunch of all-to-real, selfish, stupid babies doing boringly pedestrian selfish and stupid things. Whiney, too.

Cadsuane was his best opportunity to give us a character with some real maturity and wisdom. One character in this whole overcrowded kindergarten who thought and behaved as an adult.

He blew it. She's the most gamey, deceitful, manipulative ... ummm ... person in the series. She's even more deceitful and manipulative than Faile, and that really takes some doing.

DIE Cadsuane, DIE! And, take Faile with you.

Edited by Bob T Dwarf, 27 October 2010 - 08:28 PM.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

In fact, Cadsuane is supposed to be one of the last of the "old guard". Notice that when she asks Amys if Sorilea is a strong woman, she's not referring to strength in the One Power. She seems to think more of age and experience, and thinks little of most of the women raised in the past fifty years., saying that they'd been raised to fast and lacked the ability to innovate with their weaves.

Archived