DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene for Amyrlin.One in a million chance.Why?Taveren job ?

CALDAZAR

From dictionary.com ( a handy resource, you might find it useful )

instinct

–noun

1.  an inborn pattern of activity or tendency to action common to a given biological species.

2.  a natural or innate impulse, inclination, or tendency.

3.  a natural aptitude or gift: an instinct for making money.

4.  natural intuitive power.

So, either your Wheel possesses life, intelligence, intuition, or all three.

That is one definition of the term, there are others. Those driverless vehicles that are in development have instincts. No instincts-crashing.

Instincts- a set of predetermined responses, below concious thought.

This describes what the wheel does perfectly. Not concious, predetermined responses. An advanced system that has set "self-correctional" responses, which are reactions to the drifting of the Pattern.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luckers -

I have my faults.  Prevarication isn't one of them.

my point was never that a machines functions were instinctual, but that they were an allegory to instinctive action

Then state that.  What you stated was:

The Wheel would weave on because it is not directly in a war with the Dark One. the Dark One is manipulating the Age Lace away from the direction it should travel, and so the Wheel is acting against the Dark One instinctively in its effort to redirect the flow of events. The loss of Rand would affect its efforts to a negative degree, but it wouldn't admit defeat because it is not technically fighting.

An allegory is not the thing itself.  That's why it's called an allegory.

Apparently you should reconsider your position on dictionaries.  Failure to use tools that make one more effective at appearing knowledgable is not just "ignorent" it's ignorant as well.

And it's you who is trying to convolute ( not convalute ) things by attempting to imply at this late date that you were waxing allegorical rather than literal. 

allegory -

-noun

1. a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.

2. a symbolical narrative: the allegory of Piers Plowman.

EDIT:

To help you in your further endeavors.  And, I AM only doing this for your own good -

One does not demonstrate that something is a mechanism rather than something living by resorting to anthropomorphic words like "instinct".  That's called a contradiction-in-terms.

Should you require further "correction" in your continued loose, confused, and imprecise usage of the English language, I promise not to hurt you any more than I must.

Luckers -

I have my faults.  Prevarication isn't one of them.

my point was never that a machines functions were instinctual, but that they were an allegory to instinctive action

Then state that.  What you stated was:

The Wheel would weave on because it is not directly in a war with the Dark One. the Dark One is manipulating the Age Lace away from the direction it should travel, and so the Wheel is acting against the Dark One instinctively in its effort to redirect the flow of events. The loss of Rand would affect its efforts to a negative degree, but it wouldn't admit defeat because it is not technically fighting.

And i stand by every word of it. And you are prevaricating, your attempting to spin this discussion around because you made an idiot out of yourself. You said that nothing that wasn't sentient could have instincts.

You stuck your foot in your mouth dude, whatever.

An allegory is not the thing itself.  That's why it's called an allegory.

And it's you who is trying to convolute ( not convalute ) things by attempting to imply at this late date that you were waxing allegorical rather than literal. 

allegory -

-noun

1.   a representation of an abstract or spiritual meaning through concrete or material forms; figurative treatment of one subject under the guise of another.

2.   a symbolical narrative: the allegory of Piers Plowman.

What? I said that computers were an apt allegorical comparison for the wheel... which they are, your own foolish definitions speak of it--the representation of an abstract meaning under the guise of a mertial form for the point of explanation and comparison. Allegorical comparison.

Honestly, what on earth are you talking about? 'Attempting to convalute matters by suggesting i was speaking allegorically not literally'... lol, you're correct bob, i was saying that somewhere in some dark basement in Randland there is a supercomputer running the wheel. How clever of you to catch that.

You screwed up dude. You made one stupid statement, and are even now attempting to twist your way out with a display of semantics--and it is growing absurd.

You made a mistake, let it go.

EDIT:

To help you in your further endeavors.  And, I AM only doing this for your own good -

One does not demonstrate that something is a mechanism rather than something living by resorting to anthropomorphic words like "instinct".  That's called a contradiction-in-terms.

Should you require further "correction" in your continued loose, confused, and imprecise usage of the English language, I promise not to hurt you any more than I must.

One, i was never attempting to demonstrate that the Wheel was a machanism rather than something living--thats your little catchphrase thought, and ive torn it apart every time you've said it. I said that it was not sentient, and that in its methodology it acted more like a machenism than a sentient intelligent being.

Secondly, using terminology linked to living beings in order to explain and relate a similar mode of action of a non-living being is not a contradiction in terms, its using seperate but similar states in order to relate something complex or abstract in the terms of something mundane or simple in order that it be understood--this is called an allegory.

Seriously dude, you made a stupid comment. Is that so seriously painful for you? Let it go.

Edit: Removed some pointless name calling, and to add that im out. I think  my position is pretty well stated by this stage anyway. *shrug*.

Archived