DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine - Merrilin

Fastfairy

Hey bit of a strange theory perhaps - didn't start thiking bout it til I'd actually finished the series and now I've read it, I've picked up on more and more hints, so it'll be cool to see what you lot think. How about Thom Merrilin getting together with Moiraine (provided she survives) it would so be the perfect match - King and Queen players of the Game of Houses.

I think that's the general consensus about what'll happen. Moiraine seems to have seen Thom as as possible future husband through the triple ring ter'angreal in Rhuidean (or maybe the doorway in tear). Thom said that Moiraine is 'a fine woman, too bad she can channel though.' (paraphrase) If she's stilled/burned out when they rescue her...perfect match.

I always assumed that it was a given fact Moiraine and Thom would get together. Remember when they're in Tear, after Rand takes the stone, she tells the girls that, "she probably knew the face of the man she would marry better than any of them" I always assumed that she was talking about Thom, then her letter to him, and when Thom and her are together before they all leave the stone, lots of sexual tension lol jk. not trying to hijack the thread, but do we have any idea how old Thom is?

mid 40s to late 50's. 

What we know about him isn't much

He is white haired and leathery skinned.  That likely put's him past his middle years.

He was House Bard and a master of the Daes D'mar when Elayne was a toddler.  It's unlikely he rose to the position of House Bard for Trakand, (which he was during the succession) as well as have the kind of experience necessary to assist Morgase in her bid for the throne, before age 30 so that would put him at 45 at the very youngest. 

Before he was injured, he seemed fairly athletic, backflips and handsprings and the like, so it's unlikey he is any older than his mid fifties, which would have made him 40 during the succession. 

Since he later became Court Bard in Camelyn, and Morgase' Main Squeeze after Taringail's death (By Thom's hand) TM probably wasn't older than 40 at that time.

If anyone can nail it down further than that...

I thought it was more than obvious what Moraine's feelings were for Thom since the scene where she convinced him to go with Elayne and Nyneave. There was deffinatly a air of a girl with a crush in some of that conversation. Add to that the context of the letter she sent to him that we finaly get to read in KoD. Yeah she's deffinatly infatuated if not in full blown love.

[glow=green,1,500]Darth_Andrea[/glow]      starwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif

A few things I've never quite understood, that confuse me a little.

1. Moiraine went through the doorway. I understand that it is known that she will return, but how do we know this? Is it something in books 10/11, or is it because Cyndane returned?

2. When Moiraine went through the doorway, Lan's bond shifted to Myrelle, with instructions that he should be Nynaeve's warder until she could find one for herself. Or maybe it was just Egwene's intuition that told her the best way to save him was to send him to Nynaeve. This means that he felt the bond break from Moiraine, as though she had died. This contradicts point 1.

3. When Moiraine returns, what will happen to Lan? Will his bond shift back to her, for her to permanently give it to Nynaeve, or will there be no effect on him?

1. Moiraine went through the doorway. I understand that it is known that she will return, but how do we know this? Is it something in books 10/11, or is it because Cyndane returned?

The first clue is in Moiraine's bubble of hope when she was about to tackle Lanfear. Then we have her promise that she and Thom would meet again. Then we have Min's viewing about something Moiraine still needed to do. Then we had Egwene's dream of Thom pulling Moiraine's kiseira out of a fire. Finally in book eleven Moiraine's letter to Thom is revealed and it specifically states that she is alive and in need of some rescue.

2. When Moiraine went through the doorway, Lan's bond shifted to Myrelle, with instructions that he should be Nynaeve's warder until she could find one for herself. Or maybe it was just Egwene's intuition that told her the best way to save him was to send him to Nynaeve. This means that he felt the bond break from Moiraine, as though she had died. This contradicts point 1.

The bond snapped when Moiraine was severed from the True Source during the destruction of the ter'angreal. Her instructions to Myrelle were to keep him alive until he found a sister to work with--at that time she merely meant it to keep him alive, but later came to the conclusion that it was Nynaeve that he was meant to be with and as such sent a letter to Myrelle informing her. It was, in the end, Egwene that pushed the issue.

3. When Moiraine returns, what will happen to Lan? Will his bond shift back to her, for her to permanently give it to Nynaeve, or will there be no effect on him?

The bond was permenantly snapped. It will not revert.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I hope, but think it's unlikely, that it'll be Rand. I'm sure he could learn. I think it'd bring their relationship full circle.

I can't wait for Moiraine to reappear.

I hope, when she does reappear that she does something spectacular because to be honest, although I do consider her a major character and she has been so important for Rand, Mat and Perrin, not to mention Egwene and Nynaeve, I still think in her previous form she's a snotty, pompous noblewoman who just wants to stick her nose in.

Guest The Thin Inn Keeper

I still think in her previous form she's a snotty, pompous noblewoman who just wants to stick her nose in.

I have sympathy for her. She's Aes Sedai, obviously very clever, and is facing the end of the world as she knows it. The only guy who can save anything turns out to be a stubborn shepard. Gutted.

She does adjust eventually and Rand is clearly upset when she dies.

I think she's a great character. I'd agree, I hope she does something spectacular. Finally laying Lanfear/Cyndane (sp?) to rest would be a goody.

I think there's a fair bet she'll survive, which I'm happy about. Why build up the whole thing with Thom if you intend to kill her?

Moiraine's one of my favourite characters. Possibly my absolute favourite with the one exception of Cadsuane. Especially since she does struggle against her snottyness and her Aes Sedai compulsion to run everything, and ultimately she does win clear of it, and become stronger as a result.

I can't wait for her return, though frankly i was dissapointed with Thom's letter. It had none of her elegance. None of her fire. It was like... 'yo dude, I'm totally like... in this bind. Come rescue me, and hey, you might get lucky.'

But meh, im still definately looking forward to her return. Frankly i think it should have been done a bit sooner--Mat and Tuon's thing should have occured earlier with them entering the Tower in book eleven and using that as a cliff hanger.

I agree that Mat and Tuon should happen earlier. Mat disappeared as Elayne and Nynaeve were leaving Ebou Dar (he was searching for Olver and got stuck under a building...idiot) in I think book 7, and i'm now on book 9, halfway through and, no Mat. I know from a previous read that he returns (plus I read these forums) but i'm screaming "ENOUGH PERRIN!!! give me Mat! I've seen Rand tumble Elayne, now i want Mat!"

Archived