DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Guillermo Del Toro to Direct The Hobbit

Haxorsist

According to Reuters Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) might direct The Hobbit.

By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

Del Toro doubles up to direct big-screen "Hobbit" (Reuters)

What do you guys think? Good news?

According to Reuters Guillermo Del Toro (Pan's Labyrinth) might direct The Hobbit.

By Borys Kit

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Guillermo del Toro is in talks to direct back-to-back installments of J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," which is being co-financed by New Line and MGM.

Del Toro's name was on a short list of directors who could tackle the project, one of the most anticipated literary adaptations of the past decade. An ill-chosen director for "Hobbit" could put billions of dollars at stake for New Line and MGM and could turn off an audience that encompasses millions of passionate readers, Tolkien fans and obsessive geeks.

Few filmmakers have the cachet that del Toro has, as well as a deep love for the source material, an assured grasp of fantasy filmmaking and an understanding and command of geek culture as well as its respect. Del Toro has built that goodwill through such films as the Oscar-nominated "Pan's Labyrinth," "Hellboy," "Blade 2" (which was made by New Line) and "The Devil's Backbone."

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=entertainmentNews&storyid=2008-01-28T082715Z_01_N28420231_RTRUKOC_0_US-HOBBIT.xml

What do you guys think? Good news?

GREAT news.  Del Toro is better than Tim Burton, and he has a deft hand for this type of material.  I know he's the guy that some fantasy authors I've interviewed have mentioned as wanting if their work ever got adapted

Del Toro is better than Tim Burton

*gasps*

Heresy!!!

Seconded. Evidence;  Nightmare before Christmas > Blade 2 and/or Hellboy.

I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth though, so I can't make a complete decision, but it seems like he is either a hit or miss type.  I think either the film will reel in the money, or tank in a big way.  Either way I'm curious to see how it turns out.  My favorite scene was the riddling game, but Smaug may be a site to see.

Del Toro is better than Tim Burton

*gasps*

Heresy!!!

Seconded. Evidence;  Nightmare before Christmas > Blade 2 and/or Hellboy.

I haven't seen Pan's Labyrinth though, so I can't make a complete decision, but it seems like he is either a hit or miss type.  I think either the film will reel in the money, or tank in a big way.  Either way I'm curious to see how it turns out.  My favorite scene was the riddling game, but Smaug may be a site to see.

See Pan's Labrynth and you'll understand

Pan's Labrynth>>>>Nightmare Before Christmas + Edward Scissorhands

See Pan's Labrynth and you'll understand

Pan's Labrynth>>>>Nightmare Before Christmas + Edward Scissorhands

Thats bold, it just got moved up to the top of the list.

On the other hand, Blade 2 < Batman Returns + Planet Of The Apes

Which was the one with poison ivy and mr freeze?  Thats the one thats on par with Blade 2. *gouges eyes out*

Archived