DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Darkfriends

Froix

Guest Froix

Has anyone else noticed that nearly all darkfriends are either dead or suffering? Who wants to be a darkfriend anyway?

My main question is how can a darkfriend stop being a darkfriend. Is it possible? There seem to be some mention of oaths. Is it binding?

I remember Rand telling Ingtar the same thing. Would Ingtar not have done so if it was possible?

This is whatcha ya gotta do. You gotta get yourself kidnapped by the Children of the Light so that they can return you to the Light. They'll hand you over to the Questioners who will torture you, and torture you, and torture you until you finally confess to having been a Darkfriend. Then they'll hang you and burn your remains. After that......... well then your dead.

Guest cwestervelt

Kadere, that's rather cynical isn't it? Besides, that method only works if you actually are innocent of the charges. :lol:

More seriously though, the implications are that there are oaths that all darkfriends swear. I believe both Padan Fain and Kadere (the flayed one) have mentioned them at one time or another as have various other darkfriends. Only the Black Ajah appear to actually swear them on an Oath Rod though.

By their catechism, "no man can walk in the shadow so long he can't come back to the light." This implies that you can forswear your oaths to the shadow and make amends. I'm sure doing so would be a guaranteed death sentence, likely complete with torture that the Whitecloaks would like to participate in. Since Ingtar is the only example where we have of someone wishing to recant, and since he died covering the escape from Falme, we don't know for certain though.

Why would anyone want to be a darkfriend? The promise of immortality and power is a big draw for people. Especially if they are ambitious but don't have any real social standing.

I haven't been able to read KoD yet, but I don't recall the "Lady Shaine" being dead or suffering that much either. She was actually giving orders to a rather unhappy Moghedien if I remember right.

bugger....

ummm, just occured to me, if you're a DF, the DO gets your soul forever, and there are infinite souls in the soul pool...does that mean that eventually, all souls belong to the DO.

Le Chatelier's principle people...

I imagine it would be very hard to rescind, the dark seems to take traitors very seriously. Take Fain, he is a traitor, and the sent over a thousand trollocs and Slayer after him, risking sending every nation to the borderlands to begin TG before time... and then there is Amico, joiya, Ispan and Talene. The mere failure, and possibility of betrayal of their oaths resulted in deadly consequences...

Guest cwestervelt

That's what I meant by our only example of someone who truly appeared repentant was Ingtar. Since he died fighting the Seanchan we didn't get to see how successful he was, or what the final result would be. Death for a darkfriend turned good would be guaranteed because he is a serious security leak. The question is how slow of a death it would be. My guess is very, very slow. After all, if they doing it right, they can always heal you and start over again.

Guest Froix

To Luckers,

Did you mean the dark one, when u said he sent thousands of Trollocs and Slayer after him? Did he really do that?

Does the dark one really consider Fain as a traitor. I only remember the Forsakens mentioning it. If you think about it, Fain has turned out to be the dark one's best hound right now.

Oh well, I guess I'll have to read the whole series again.

Not specifically the Dark One, as we've seen that Slayer recieves his orders from one of the Forsaken, but yes, the Dark really reviews him as a traitor... thats even what they call him, not his name. We have heard both Slayer and the Forsaken refer to him thus. In tSR the trollocs sent to the two rivers were sent to kill Fain--which Fain was counting on, and used to try and fulfil his promise to destroy the two rivers--but they were still sent to kill him. Since then except for a few side-adventures Slayer has been consistently hunting Fain.

Archived