DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

G.R.R.Martin nod to RJ

cloglord

I think I distantly remember Luckers posting something about a nod that GRRM made to RJ, and I either came across the same one, or a new one last night.  In a Feast for Crows, one of the characters mentions how Archmaester Rigney had written that history was a wheel and that human nature was cyclical.

Whether it is new or not, I thought it was pretty cool.

I love that kind of thing.

In their 1986 novel "Footfall" Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle named one of their major characters Bob Anson and towards the end, one of the Alien Threat Team is heard saying

"I wish Bob Anson was here"

Very nice tip of the cap to Robert Anson Heinlein, who passed away two years after the novel was published.

Guest leebarr

RJ and Martin were friends I believe or atleast know one another. It is cool that authers read each others stuff then give each other a nod in thier books.

Well ... they were acquaintances, on friendly terms.  Martin always credited Jordan with helping the sales of "A Game of Thrones" by providing a positive review-quote.  But it is good to see an area of professional endeavor in which people are able and willing to give each other friendly nods.  Jordan famously acknowledged Tolkien with his "Mr. Underhill" reference.  He also acknowledged Heinlein in TGH ch 49 ... Loial is carrying a book entitled "To Sail Beyond the Sunset", Heinlein's last book.

Apparently Jordan put quite a few little easter eggs like that into his books. Unfortunately I was operating on about 12 hours of sleep in four days and had put in a full day of teaching middle school when Harriet was telling me about it.  My memory of my conversation with her is a bit fuzzed. =)

I think I distantly remember Luckers posting something about a nod that GRRM made to RJ, and I either came across the same one, or a new one last night.  In a Feast for Crows, one of the characters mentions how Archmaester Rigney had written that history was a wheel and that human nature was cyclical.

Whether it is new or not, I thought it was pretty cool.

That idea goes back to the ancient celts, and maybe even before that to the celt's indo-european ancestor.

Archived