DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Black Ajah Intelligence Quiz! ***WINNERS ANNOUNCED***

cosmicpanda

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results

NB: I have imposed a 1 point penalty for people who posted their results in the thread. Since I stated it pretty clearly at the top, and bolded it even, posting it in the thread is silly and therefore not intelligent, which kinda disrupts the purpose of an intelligence quiz.

bcxanth: 8

Twitchy: 0 ( -1 point penalty for posting it in the thread)

Eli: 10

Moir: 8

Stean Vogi: 4

Jelly: 5 (-1 point)

Pukah: 5 (-1 point)

So now we may congratulate the runnaway winner: Eli! The Black Ajah win again! Woot. Enjoy your 13 points.

In second place: bcxanth, since Moir didn't complete question 15, which was to be used in place of a tie. BA rocks.  :P

I will just post the answers now in case you're wondering.

1) The velocity of the centre of mass would remain constant. For reference, see wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Center_of_mass#Motion

"For any system with no external forces, the center of mass moves with constant velocity."

2) The velocity of the car would increase. It was parked on the road and then a bus crashed into it. Of course it would go faster as a result.

3) There were three instances of the letter "o" in that sentence.

4) Nynaeve helped Rand.

5) Joline was spanked by Mat.

6) 2.2

7) sec(x). You could've found this on wikipedia.

8) 2x + 3 = x^(1/2), so 4x^2 + 11x + 9 = 0. Put that into a handy site like this:

http://id.mind.net/~zona/mmts/miscellaneousMath/quadraticRealSolver/quadraticRealSolver.html?cField=9

And it comes up with the answers. Of course, while they're the answers to the quadratic, I'm not sure that they'd both work for the original equation. However, since nobody got it right up to this point, it doesn't matter.

9) Nobody got this right, either. Here's my working:

x=y

x^2 = yx

x^2 - yx = 0

(x-y/2)^2 = (y/2)^2

x-y/2 = +/- (((y/2)^2)^1/2) = +/- y/2

x = +/- y/2 + y/2

x = 0 and y.

10) Nobody bothered doing this so I didn't either.

11) Team rocket.

12) Mt Cook is 3754 metres high.

13) Raeyn led the BA, Sebby led the SS.

14) WS took 300 points from me.

15) Gumboots are wonderful.  ;D

Um, You are adding the mass of the car to the mass of the bus.

The car is not part of the initial centre of mass, which is the bus. When the mass changes, the velocity will change according, because it takes more force to move a bigger object.

Want to know why?

It's called inertia. Look it up.

Um, You are adding the mass of the car to the mass of the bus.

The car is not part of the initial centre of mass, which is the bus. When the mass changes, the velocity will change according, because it takes more force to move a bigger object.

Want to know why?

It's called inertia. Look it up.

why, when considering the centre of mass of the two part system, the car and the bus, do you ignore the mass of the car? The centre of mass is the point which acts as though all the mass of the system is concentrated at that point, yes? We're talking about the same thing here, are we?

And what do you mean, the mass changes? The mass of the system is constant. The mass of the bus + the mass of the car. Nothing changes.

Inertia doesn't have much to do with the velocity of the centre of mass, I don't think, at least in the context of this question.

You have to consider them separate. Because at the beginning of the thought experiment the car was not going the same velocity as the bus.

They are unentangled, therefore cannot be considered the same.

Once they are entangled upon collision however, it is impossible to not mention them relative to each other.

And eys, Inertia has a lot to do with the velocity of the centre of mass.

I really do think that uhh.. Well.. The answer to everything either is "Who cares" or "It explodes". *nods* Even maths and who Mat spanked. And the Faction leader question.

Did anyone get that Faction leader one? :p Raeyn and Sebby left ages ago. I'm pretty sure only about... 7 or 8 people probably even remember.

Archived