DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Music Memories

Talya

Just like a smell can take you back in time to a certain memory so can music. Sometimes a song long forgotten is played and it takes you back to your childhood. For some that maybe not so long ago for others a little longer.

So what song/s trigger memories of being a child for you.

Okay I'll start with one.

One of the earliest memories I have is of Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep, by Middle of the Road. The memory I have of this song is not that happy as the song has the line 'Woke up this morning and my mamma was gone'. At a tender age of ??, well I was quite young ;), I thought that it might come true and my mum would leave, it upset me alot. :(

Gosh there are so many but I think one that sticks out is Frankie Miller's Caledonia. I heard it when I was living in England, a time when I was seriously homesick and it's remained a favourite ever since. Just makes me think of home.

Two songs spark very happy memories for me, one in '73 or '74 not sure which year. I was on holiday with the 'rents in Cornwall and we were walking back to the hotel and had to pass by the Central Hotel and Bar. They had this really loud jukebox and the most glorious sound was eminating from it......this massive guitar riff that seemed to crush everything in it's path....a bass and drum sound that was so deep and loud it made my jeans vibrate and this most amazing voice that sounded like it was having an orgasm.....the song? Whole Lotta Love by Led Zep and it is a memory that still makes me smile....i so love volume*lol*

The second one was in the summer of '76 and i met a girl who captivated my heart and mind for the whole fortnight i was on holiday. It was one of those intense overwhelming utterl absorbing holiday flings that dissolve like early morning list when you return to the real world....but for the short time it exists it is the most intense time you can have.......the song that summer that stuck in my mind was "The boys are back in town" by Thin Lizzy

Owen

I can think of several songs that trigger memories of my young childhood, like 3 or 4 years old.  One of them is "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton John.  My mother used to take Aerobics classes back when I was really young in 1980, and she would take my with her.  This song always brings memories of my mom in a leotard and tights, on her back with her feet up in the air, doing the bicycle exercise!  LOL  There are a couple of other songs that harken back other memories of other aerobic exercise, cause they always used the same music, but I can't think of any others right at the moment.

Another one that brings back a very specific memory is "Sitting on the Ritz".  When I was 5, my mom had an old Volkswagon Beetle with no heating or air, and an AM radio that worked only very sporadically in the mountains where we lived.  One of the only times I ever got that radio to work was one cold fall afternoon, we were in the car freezing, I was fiddling with the radio and suddenly that song came through loud and clear for all of 45 seconds or so. It was such a strange event to actually get anything on that radio, that it's stuck in my memory forever.

Folks you have great memory ;-)

When I was 4 or 5 I used to sing some polish songs like "Glass Weather" and "There is no water on the desert" which were considered "on the top" at that time. Due to communism in my contry we didn't get much foreign music before 1989, but after that... it was like a flood! I sang Depeche Mode, U2 and Pearl Jam songs under my nose! Oh and I got my first tape recorder with build in radio so I could pick up foreign stations! *wipes a tear*

For some reason, I remember Jealous Guy playing on the radio during a car trio when I was a wee lad in the days of yore.

And I have fond memories of Strutter by Kiss. One of my uncles gave me Kiss Alive on my 5th or 6th birthday (still got the album), and it was the first metal song I ever heard.

(Funny thing is that Strutter is not the first song of the album, but I thought the title was funnier than the first song, Deuce)

Just thought of another one

Location-parents front room

Date-1977

Time-Very late at night

Artist-Neil Young and Crazy Horse

Track-Like a hurricane(live version)

There used to be a music show on UK tv called The Old Grey Whistle Test. Sometimes it was awesome sometimes it was a total load of stinky poo ;D Well this night there was a lot of dross on there, and then this vid came on of a live performance of this song. Well straight away the guitar sound just dragged me in and then the lyrics as well. There was not a big stage show or anything, just Neil and a wind machine......he was leaning away from the direction of the wind as if it was blowing him over.....a very simple thing but has always stuck with me, brillian song.

Guest Uasal Arach

I love music. I've been singing since I was in grade school... some 30 years ago... lol yes I'm old. There isn't any particular song that brings back childhood memories... but a style of song does remind me of my time in Scotland. Anything by Enya, or music with bagpipes brings back a longing and fond memories of my time there.

Archived