DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

ATTN: The Dude

Barmacral

ok, i'll own that in some ways, it's better than killing them all, but this is the point i'm making.

no fantasy series should reach this point.  seriously.  if it does, then it's gotten away from the writer, and this is a desperate bid to conclude what is (to the auther) an otherwise unsolvable problem.

it shows sloppy, lazy work.  it also endorses a policy that is, in a book, stupid, and in reality, well, has segregation ever worked in real life?  i mean, really.  yes, this is a fantasy, but for someone who's writing "real life stories with important themes," his conclusion is a reflection of a practice that is more or less universally rejected.  and this is the brilliant plan that's built up to for what?  11 books?  lazy.  sloppy.  insipid.

terry's just all over the place, and everything i hear from him, ever, just serves as proof to me that the guys has no idea whatsoever what he's talking about, or writing, as it were.

and you're just provoking me on purpose, aren't you, barm?  :P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh, you know, this is the only one, really.  others i'm more indifferent to.

when i think about it, i probably ascribe way too much credit to SoT.  just because Terry thinks his work is important, doesn't mean it really is......

okay, let me couch my same logic in another example.

a west virginia hillbilly, no matter how he mangles the language, is still speaking english.  ;)

it's a dialect, maj.  it's charming.

well, not the hillbilly.

Says the swede

Want me to translate it for you? ;)

it's a dialect, maj.  it's charming.

When the dialect is so far from the more common ways of pronounciation that it is close to impossible to understand, it is kinda beyond charming.

But then, the only Quebecois I've actually tried to understand was quite drunk, that might have had some influence on the speaking abilities. Of course I was not drunk. Not the slightest. Pssht.

I believe that if you want to look at it linguistically, Quebecois is indeed French. It's not even a distinct dialect, since Quebec French varies from location to location (Quebec, Ontario, Nova Scotia, etc.). It would be more accurate to call it a French variety.

Something like the French spoken in Louisiana has migrated far enough away from the native tongue to be considered a pidgin or creole, but the French spoken by French-Canadians still qualifies as French.

Archived