DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How do you deal with all the characters?

Papermache

Personally I find it impossible to remember so many characters. My way of it is to disregard anyone who doesn't sound important, until some important-seeming reference of them crops up somewhere, then it's encyclopedia-wot to the rescue! Though since starting to play on this forum, my knowledge of some of the less important characters has improved greatly! :D

Seriously, I think it was impossible for any but the likes of RJ, Harriet and Wilson to keep all those characters right in their head. I don't think even people like Luckers and RAW could remember all the characters, or even most of 'em! It's plain impossible!

When I'm reading I usually gloss over the the names of the little people. 

Like during a SAS Sitting (is that what they call it?) except for Romanda and Lelaine what do the other 16 women contribute to the story at large?  I just think of it as:

AS 1 says something

AS 2 agrees

AS 3 calls them both fool

AS 4 leave to bring AS Y

AS Y asks a question

AS 2 answers

AS Y leaves and is never heard from again.

However the exchange the reader learns the life history of all six women, even if the only one who has much of a recuring role is AS 2.

I just don't get bothered by the names.

BTW: Half, at least, of the Characters in the Council of Elrond only appeared in that scene and were never mentioned again.  Can you name then all without looking it up?

I agree that the best method is to concentrate on the larger character lines.  Often I run into a name and either think hard for a minute to remember or keep reading.  Honestly reading through without remembering when they were introduced causes no loss.  If the character has enough importance/signifigance then RJ usually throws a hint (Through 3rd party observation/conversation/flashback).

Archived