DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What makes this chick tick?

Nelal Hurcran

perrin and faile have been gone for awhile. i am sure the two rivers has re-asserted its own form of order and rule.

about rolan and perrin's hammer, faile couldnt have known that perrin would do that, he thought rolan was shaido coming up on his wife, and killed the man. it was instinct.

Just an aside, there will be no knew nation centered on the Two Rivers.  Perrin has so pledged to the Seanchen and any attempt to do so would also cause war with Andor.  More inportantly, Perrin will be Prince Consort when Faile takes the crown of Saldea.

Actually, I think he only pledged not to raise a nation under the banner of Manetherin.  I think RJ left it open for the two rivers to still become a seperate nation.

As far as Faile goes, I've always kinda liked her.  I like her toughness and spirit.  What makes her tick?  It's just the Saldean culture!  Look at the other Saldean women we know, her mom and Tenobia!  They're basically the same personality type, hot tempered and prone to getting their way unless somebody really stands up to them!

As far as the cultural incompatablilty. I think that that is one of the things that Spices they're marrage up not drags it down.

That's really a matter of opinion. While there are things about being culturally different that spice a relationship up, Perrin and Faile lack something that make it work - compromise. Your culture determines your values and your expectations. If they're sitting on opposite ends of the spectrum it is impossible for two people to not get offended or angry at one another all the time if they expect the other to behave according to their cultural schema.

Oh boy. Here we go.....

I've had this theory floating in my head for a couple days, trying to work up the courage to post it. I'll just say it write out (and hope I don't just erase it and go one with my life).

Faile is a darkfriend.

Not too much supporting evidence for this, but I give what I have.

When we first see her, in Remen's Wayland's Forge, she is alone in the room (not surprising) and the only one of the crowd staring exclusively at Perrin. This in itself is not too odd, except that we know that several DFs knew what the three boys looked like, and were supposed to be on the lookout for them.

Also, she follows them for no other reason than she thinks that "the Horn will certainly lie at the end of a strange trail, and I have never seen one any stranger than the trail you four make" doesn’t hold any water with me. Any DF who could would attach themselves firmly to one of the three, and she has done just that.

Thirdly, (and this one is probably the weakest) she tries rather hard to separate Rand and Perrin, who must be together to win TG. This can be attributed to her concern for her man's safety, but RJ had a tendency of taking innocent seeming things and making them into major problems.

And finally, (nope, this ones the weakest) someone theorized someplace (nine paragraphs down) Bashere could be a DF. To quote a highly overused cliché: "Like father like daughter."

To those who say "But we've read from Faile's point of view. There would be some clue in her own thoughts if she was a DF." I say "would we?" She was quite preoccupied with other things, not the least of which, avoiding the attentions of someone she really didn't like.

Even her obvious shock at learning of Rand when they are leaving Illian can be explained away: None of the DFs were told why they were looking out for these specific boys. And at that point, no one really believed what had happened in Falme, except those that had been there.

None of this is to say that she doesn’t actually love Perrin. I'm sure her love and devotion to him are as strong as his to her. But I don't think that she started out completely honest-like.

Just my....1-2-3-4-5...................................................

Never mind. Just tear it apart. I'm not to sure I want it to be true.

Edit: fixed my atrocious spelling

I was not trying to tear down your theory, I was just completely shocked by it. I suppose its possible it could be true, but if it were, then wouldn't have Min's viewings or even Egwene's dreams have forseen this possibility about Faile?

I was not trying to tear down your theory,

Oh. please do anyway.

I was just completely shocked by it.

Understandable.

wouldn't have Min's viewings or even Egwene's dreams have forseen this possibility about Faile?

Why would they? I son't she could play that major a role, anymore. She's too in love with Perrin to do anything that can hurt him, and the only major part she could play would be killing him.

Understand that I'm still not excatly sure just what I belive. But it is possible that after she fell in love with, and married Perrin she could have changed: "No one has been in the Dark so long that they cannot be brought to the light." I'm just suggestling that she could have been before she met him, and for some time after.

PS: Even though I don't nessisarily like this theory, I'm still going to defend it to the death. ;)

I don't Faile is a Darkfriend but just because someone isn't a DF does't necessarily mean they can't help the Dark One.  My personal favourite example is Gawyn.  Min did say something like Faile loves him so much she may end up killing him, something like that.  Killing Perrin, for whatever reason, would be a win for Shai'tan.

Never mind. Just tear it apart. I'm not to sure I want it to be true.

OK.

When we first see her, in Remen's Wayland's Forge, she is alone in the room (not surprising) and the only one of the crowd staring exclusively at Perrin. This in itself is not too odd, except that we know that several DFs knew what the three boys looked like, and were supposed to be on the lookout for them.

Or maybe she just thought Perrin was hot.

Also, she follows them for no other reason than she thinks that "the Horn will certainly lie at the end of a strange trail, and I have never seen one any stranger than the trail you four make" doesn’t hold any water with me. Any DF who could would attach themselves firmly to one of the three, and she has done just that.

Thirdly, (and this one is probably the weakest) she tries rather hard to separate Rand and Perrin, who must be together to win TG. This can be attributed to her concern for her man's safety, but RJ had a tendency of taking innocent seeming things and making them into major problems.

Oh, wait ... that doesn't really explain that one ... or does it?

OK, um, maybe she just thought that Rand would get Perrin killed, and she didn't want that.  Why?  Ha HA!  Because she thought Perrin was hot!

And finally, (nope, this ones the weakest) someone theorized someplace (nine paragraphs down) Bashere could be a DF. To quote a highly overused cliché: "Like father like daughter."

Yeah ... I don't really need to tear up that one.  Its horribly, terribly weak.

Look ... if you're going to go that circumstantial on someone, you can make a case for any- and every-one being a Darkfriend.  Faile is not a Darkfriend.  She's an ambitious, fractious young noblewoman who fell for Perrin.  That's it.

Archived