DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The great hunt: when Egwene meets min for the first time

evilernie

It's unknown, though likely. The severed hand has shown up in prophecy alot throughout the progression of the series. My guess is that RJ has been planning the bodyswap since the beginning, and preparing for it in progression.

Of course, thats just a guess.

Guest cwestervelt

I can't see it as being anything to do with Rand.  By that point, Rand and Egwene are well on their separate paths.  Egwene wasn't responsible for Rand losing his hand and she wasn't affected by it.

What it could symbolize I don't know, and won't even try to hazard a guess.

I can't see it as being anything to do with Rand.  By that point, Rand and Egwene are well on their separate paths.  Egwene wasn't responsible for Rand losing his hand and she wasn't affected by it.

What it could symbolize I don't know, and won't even try to hazard a guess.

Not only that, but she wasn't there to see it and likely can do nothing to fix it. Her talents with Healing are rather pitiful.  So I really don't see it having anything to do with Rand.  As for what it could deal with though, I have no idea.

Indeed, Maj is correct.  And that makes it much more likely that it is Rand's hand.

If it is not Rand's hand (since Rand's hand was incinerated, not severed) then it could also represent the Band of the Red Hand, severed from Mat, which is heading, by recent reports, into Andor (KoD ch 25).

I've been leaning toward the Band expanation.  Any chance Rand's loss is an homage to Lucas?

Any chance Rand's loss is an homage to Lucas?

More like an homage to Tyr, the Norse god of war, single combat, and heroic glory.

Tyr lost his hand by having it bitten off by the Fenris wolf, as the price that had to be paid to bind the wolf until Ragnarok.

The Fenris wolf was to be bound from that time until Ragnarok ... I wonder if its taking the parallel to far to speculate that Semirhage might likewise remain bound only until Tarmon Gaidon ... the Fenris wolf killed Odin at Ragnarok, and Mat (parallel to Odin in many respects) is deeply involved in Semirhage's major project ...

The Fenris wolf was to be bound from that time until Ragnarok ... I wonder if its taking the parallel to far to speculate that Semirhage might likewise remain bound only until Tarmon Gaidon ... the Fenris wolf killed Odin at Ragnarok, and Mat (parallel to Odin in many respects) is deeply involved in Semirhage's major project ...

There's a thought that hadn't occured to me until just then.  I had basically assumed, stemming from the idea of the Outrigger(?)novels, that Mat would survive TG.

There's a thought that hadn't occured to me until just then.  I had basically assumed, stemming from the idea of the Outrigger(?)novels, that Mat would survive TG.

Just because RJ takes inspiration from someone, it does not mean he will borrow the full story.

For example, just because Rand is inspired by Tyr (among others), it does not mean Semirhage is in any way influenced by Fenris other than being the one that took off the hand.

Oh I know, Maj.  Thats why I prefaced my statement with, "I wonder if its taking the parallel to far to speculate that ..."

But if the "Twice dawns the day" bit in prophecy does refer to some balefire-induced clock rewinding, then theoretically, Rand, Mat, and Perrin could all die, and then not have died, in Tarmon Gai'don.  After all, Tyr, Odin, and Thor did all die in Ragnarok ...

;D

Oh I know, Maj.  Thats why I prefaced my statement with, "I wonder if its taking the parallel to far to speculate that ..."

But if the "Twice dawns the day" bit in prophecy does refer to some balefire-induced clock rewinding, then theoretically, Rand, Mat, and Perrin could all die, and then not have died, in Tarmon Gai'don.  After all, Tyr, Odin, and Thor did all die in Ragnarok ...

;D

Possibly. But til the day AMOL says something different, I stick to being convinced that twice dawns the day refers to the volcano Dragonmount erupting. Erupting big time, Krakatau x 100.

Yech.  Heavy ash clouds as an explanation would be so ... cheesy.

And BF induced timewarping would be what?

If Dragonmount erupted on such a scale as I mentioned, imagine the effects. A great part, if not all of Tar Valon would be destroyed from the blast. Andor would have rocks raining down as far south as Caemlyn. Etc. And SH would be surfing the lavarivers ;D

However, that is impossible. Even if BF could be used in a way that had such a global effect, you still have the little fineprint. If BF goes back enough to bring a new dawn, the original never happened.

However, that is impossible. Even if BF could be used in a way that had such a global effect, you still have the little fineprint. If BF goes back enough to bring a new dawn, the original never happened.

LOL ... and the fine print of ashes not actually constituting dawn is where?

But you're right ... all the alternatives I've considered are at least a little cheesy.  Thats why I've expressed a desire to be surprised on this particular topic more than any other.

More like an homage to Tyr, the Norse god of war, single combat, and heroic glory.

Tyr lost his hand by having it bitten off by the Fenris wolf, as the price that had to be paid to bind the wolf until Ragnarok.

Very cool, RAW.  I had't associated Matt with Odin over the "half the light" prophecy. If RJ wasn't planning on it, I hope he reads your post.

Archived