DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Aes Sedai in the Tower (Retro RP)

OOC: Anyone and everyone is free to reply to this post :) I'd like to get to know some others around here, I've been gone so long, so if you want to assume your character knows Jagen, by all means do so and post! :D Also I mention in here she was brought to the Tower by an unnamed Gray Sister. If anyone wants to be her feel free for that, too.

Waking up before the first sitting of breakfast, Jagen found herself torn between staying in the wonderfully comfortable bed, or getting up as soon as possible. She chose the latter. Her long red braids clicking as she sat up and stretched, she rubbed the tiredness from her dark blue eyes and stood, walking around her fine apartments. It was much better than what she had as an Accepted. Channeling, she lit a fire in the bedroom and looked at the four dresses along the wall, all in various shades of red. She chose the darkest, a maroon, and changed into it with a smile.

Yesterday, after five years as a novice and four as Accepted, she had completed the formal ceremony to become Aes Sedai. She had walked up to the Red sisters and Sitters to have the shawl placed on her shoulder. It made her feel like she completed a long journey to come home.

Jagen had worked hard for those years. Growing up on a farm outside Tanchico and later working as a servant in the Panarch's Palace, working as a novice here had been a great welcome. The day a Gray Sister came to visit the Panarch and told her she could channel had been the happiest in her life. She had been born with the spark. And the chance to learn how to use that power--the One Power!--was a most joyous occasion. Jagen had dived right into her studies upon arriving. The workload--of washing dishes and any other manual labor required of her--was only time to think about what she had learned that day. Working was nothing, she had been used to that. But then she learned to read and write. She learned mathematics, philosophy, history. She met girls from all over the known countries. Her years at the Tower taught her to be tough and they taught her to be smart. And now with the shawl on her shoulders, she felt she could take on the world.

Well, not all of it... She admitted to herself. Gaining education and learning to use the One Power had admittedly made Jagen a bit of a tough woman to get along with. Whenever other novices or Accepted had learned something she got angered at herself until she learned it too. She did get in trouble once in a while as a novice for channeling when she wasn't supposed to. But generally she was a good, if unsociable person--unless someone made her angry. That's where most of her own trips to the Mistress of Novices went. If other novices or Accepted had made her angry, she'd find any number of various ways to get back at them. She'd make chair legs weak. Or slip mice into someone's room, or rub itchweed in dresses, or place a cup of water on top of a door, or, if the opportunity presented itself, she'd take others' things and misplace them--into someone else's hand. Those had been rare, but fun. And brought on the most severe of her punishments. By the time she was three years into being an Accepted she had dropped such pranks and silliness and concentrated more on becoming what she wanted to be--an Aes Sedai.

Not all of it was easy, of course. Jagen was a studious worker and concentrated hard on getting things done on time and with near perfection, but sometimes it was her downfall too. The stress would become too great and she'd break down. Even those among her few friends--or perhaps more like social acquaintances --she fully avoided until Jagen's work was done, days or weeks at a time until things had calmed down. She wondered what some of her 'friends' were up to. She also wondered if they had found out about her Ajah choice, yet--those who were Aes Sedai would probably already know, and those who were still Accepted she didn't plan on talking to, at least not until they had been raised. Whenever someone asked her, she always replied, "You'll see." She never wanted to give a direct answer. Her friends or those who knew her mused it was between Brown--for all of Jagen's love of books, reading and learning--or White, for her love of logic and not often thinking on the side of her heart. One time when an Accepted got bit by a stray dog, Jagen showed no sympathy; she only called the girl a fool for ever approaching the animals. The others present had called her rude.

She tied up the dress in the back. It was not a style she cared for--she only ever cared for Taraboner styles and fashions--but the skirt and sleeves were comfortably long and the wool was finer than the dress she had to wear as an Accepted. My veil, she suddenly thought, a wide smile suddenly breaking her thoughtful expression. The day she came to the Tower they ordered he to take it off, but she had kept it all these years for this various opportunity. She tied it on under her long red braids and picked up her shawl, the Flame of Tar Valon proud and big on the back. The red fringe was six inches long, thick, and bright so anyone could make out the color clearly.

Jagen stood before her mirror for nearly a full minute to admire herself. She couldn't get over it--she was Aes Sedai! Finally! Inside she was giddy. But on the outside she kept her smile calm. Jagen wasn't one to even smile, normally she had a stern expression on her face, but today she couldn't help but smile as she looked at the shawl, and the ring on her left hand--she kept it on her left, but moved it to her index finger.

She decided she would go down to breakfast first, and come back to the Red halls later; she still had to meet with the head of the Ajah some time today and meet other Red sisters. She closed the door to her room and locked it and warded it. Then, with her chin up, she strode down the hall, the shawl displayed proudly, a small smile on her face. When she left the Ajah quarters she daintily rearranged it. Not that it needed to, of course. She just wanted everyone to look and know a new Red sister was in the White Tower.

Edited by Jagen Sedai

OOC: As promised, I’m here. :)

The builders of the White Tower had made its dining halls generously large. The room she stood in now was a refreshing sight. One that she had not been exposed to in a fair while- having the meals brought to her quarters was a much easier affair. It was quicker for one, as her attention-unlike when she was attending mealtime with company- was fixed on meticulously finishing every morsel at a steady pace, so that she could return to labouring on other matters, such as the treaty for Murandy. That had been on her mind all week, the tricky thing that it was. In fact, one of the reasons she had chosen to have her breakfast was in the hope to find a Sister who could help her, someone who was keenly interested in the field, and therefore, knowledgeable. The other reason, the one with larger driving force was the fact that being cooped up in her quarters days upon days was bringing about a most insufferable sensation. Isolation. That, and the desire to talk again, laugh again and play with Daes Dae’mar as she exchanged smiles with acquaintances and friends.

Thanking the serving woman as she lead her to the table, Vera seated herself and for a long minute, simply sat. She sat, absorbing the sound around her. The tinkling glasses, the silver laughter floating by, the clink of cutlery against delicate porcelain. She had been distant from this place for too long, especially considering she had been in the Tower all this while. It might even take time to refurbish a few relationships, but now that she was a little less busy, she would be able to without much difficulty.

“My lady Aes Sedai?”

She blinked and looked up at the speaker. It was the serving woman who had lead her there, she found with a measure of surprise. Stupid of her, she thought and laughed openly as the serving woman continued to wait. “Pardon me child, must’ve woken up on the wrong side of the bed, making a fool of myself so. As for breakfast…” Vera trailed off, and pondered. She wasn’t one for heavy breakfasts, whatever people might say about it being the best time to indulge. Some fruit, a cup of tea and perhaps a biscuit or two was usually what her breakfast contained. Mierie was very good with it really, finding different fruit with such success to keep her “Mistress Vera Sedai interested in her meal”. Eyes roving, she paused to study what others around her were eating, smiling if another caught her eye, a few even reminding her of meetings that would have to be made.

It was then that she spotted her. Vera could name her instantly: Jagen Halin. The same fire-hair tumbling down, the very blue eyes she had first looked upon when she had sensed the spark. The expression though, was changed. Jagen was dressed lavishly, a sight that drew eyes in her deep red and her face wore the perfect tranquility of all the others present in the room. The trademark of Aes Sedai.

She had been Raised recently, Vera could tell. Perhaps even in the events of this past week, for her freshness in the hall was evident. It was in the blooming smile that spread across her cheeks, the pride with which the new Red Sister had the shawl draped around her. Even how much taller she seemed than Vera had remembered her to be. Her walk though, was a gift Jagen had always possessed. Vera remembered her elegance well. Even envied it a little, for it had taken her years of practice to glide down pathway and marble the way others like Jagen did with ease. Rising as she thought back fondly to the earlier days, of her travels to Tarabon, Vera decided she would ask Jagen to sit with her for a little while, if the Sister couldn’t spend all of breakfast with her.

“Greetings, Jagen Sedai,” Vera said warmly. “I come to offer my congratulations and perhaps, even some breakfast?” She watched Jagen as the question was said, smiling but curious. Would she remember her?

~Vera Cadsanome

Gray Ajah

Jagen entered the large dining hall and looked around with a satisfied grin. With its small, spaciously placed tables and comfortable chairs the dining hall of the Aes Sedai was what Jagen always thought a proper dining hall should look like. She strode over to the table with all the pride of a new Sister and sat down, though by herself, near the entrance and facing it. This way she could have the best advantage of the view of the whole dining hall and who came and went. Jagen was observant was everyone and always had been. She learned to be that way when she was a servant in the Panarch's Palace, and she was good at picking up on others' behavior and copying it or modifying her own. She was determined to look every inch of the Aes Sedai she was, though sitting in the chair made her shift. Her skin still felt tight and she was glad for the cushion. But then she stilled herself, not wanting others to see her trying to avoid the tightness of her own skin. As an Accepted she had even picked up dancing lessons, and those helped with grace, concentration and getting into a peaceful state of mind. One of Jagen's only hobbies was dancing. Or had been. Maybe it wouldn't be proper for an Aes Sedai to dance in front of others, though she had seen other sisters dance, come to think of it. . .

"Aes Sedai?" a young girl called near her a second time. Jagen turned her head. So used to hearing "child" or simply her name, she almost dismissed the girl's voice as talking to someone else. But at turning her head she only looked at her expectantly.

Immediately she starting reeling off the choices of that morning's breakfast, and after selecting some of the better foods, though in a light meal--she could never handle anything too heavy--she watched the girl walk off with a smirk on her face. She could get used to being called Aes Sedai. Musing on that, she barely heard someone else's voice a moment later.

“Greetings, Jagen Sedai. I come to offer my congratulations and perhaps, even some breakfast?”

Jagen Sedai. Oh yes, I'm going to get used to this real quick. Jagen smiled and gestured to the chair. "Vera S-- Sedai, it is good to see you again," she said carefully. She  had begun to use the honorific out of habit, and then decided to add it since Vera had named her so, too. "Please sit. I'd like for you to share this table. It's been so long, yes? But, I do remember you even through these years. I've barely seen you except in the halls. Thank you for your presence." Her tone was not meek or humble, simply polite and honored. Jagen knew when to be meek--as the servant she had been, as a novice and then, as an Accepted, humble--but now she felt no need for that. She was Aes Sedai, and as far as she was aware, an equal to the Gray before her. Or maybe a bit less of an equal. Best to tread carefully, after all, but Jagen didn't have a history of upsetting Sisters.

OOC: Just noticed your siggie- it’s lovely. :D

“Why, thank you!” Gracious of her to invite her so quickly, and yet politely. Vera smiled, resisting the temptation to succumb to the laugh that was bubbling inside her again, for fear that the freshly Raised Sister might think her off her rocker. She slipped into the chair and settled in gracefully, nodding as Jagen continued to speak. It had been several years since she had talked to Jagen and Vera could never say that the Taraboner was one she would list under close acquaintances. Not even distant ones, really. After having brought the girl to the Tower as a Novice, she had had little time to chance upon her. Other than the occasional meeting of eyes down hallways, the closest thing to interaction they had was a rare exchange of smiles, usually initiated by Vera. That too had been many summers back now, she knew.

She noted too, how correct in her mannerisms Jagen was. Polite but with a measure, unlike the syrupy tones most Accepted adopted around Aes Sedai. She understood youthful though she was, what it meant to be a Sister and what it was that was expected of her. How she would fare as a Sister, Vera could only presume, but considering it was a mere presumption, it wasn’t half bad. Sipping the tea that had arrived some seconds ago, Vera tilted her head in acquiescence as Jagen finished speaking. “It has been too long, you are right. I’ve seen very little of you since you were a Novice, truth be told. Although,” and this she said with an approving smile, “Friends I have in the Red Ajah and some others did mention your name to me intermittently, so I still heard of you. The Reds are lucky to have you, Jagen.” 

Vera paused as the serving maid came, this time with yet another in the same livery. Their breakfast had arrived. Pearly white plates were placed on the table, cutlery and napkins already pleasant. Even though Vera had seen such breakfasts every day now for decades, the effort put into presenting the food always stunned her. It was just fruit, after all! Atleast hers was, and yet the platter was designed neatly. The juicy red grapes were to the left tucked neatly into the corner, while apple slices decorated the center, along with a large piece of watermelon. Thanking the women as they left, Vera continued. “Anyway. Seeing as we both established the fact that we have indeed seen little of each other for too long, how have you been? What were your years as an Accepted like?” She had always been one who asked too many questions, but in the hope to extend a hand of friendship as she had with many other Red Sisters, she wished that Jagen would take it in the right spirit. As she waited for her to speak, Vera took another sip of her tea. She didn't want it to grow cold, after all.

~Vera Cadsanome

Gray Ajah

Jagen had watched the serving girl place her food on the table as Vera spoke--some slices of ham, a fresh roll, some pineapple and pear. For a moment, with the food presented neatly on the clean white glass, she took in the pleasnat sounds of the dining hall and was momentarily lost in thought. Everything seems different in here. Out there, though, people are suffering. Slowly she raised her gaze again.

Vera had started speaking again. Jagen took up her drink after it arrived as she thought on how to answer the questions. She thought it odd she was even asking. She was sure this woman never thought of her since dropping her off inside the Tower walls, yet now she seemed very talkative--why? Did she want to learn something from her? Now why would I think that? I was just raised and have nothing to hide. She even mentioned having friends in the Reds. Although Jagen had never mentioned which Ajah she planned on joining, it seemed the Reds knew ahead of time she would pick them. Probably because she made herself available to service the sisters of the Red over her years as Accepted and showed genuine interest in the Ajah.

"Me, I admit I'm surprised I was at all worth mentioning," Jagen murmured as she lowered her veil to eat. This she did as a lady--Jagen never rushed her meals unless pressed for time, and she took the time she had now to cut up her ham and butter her roll. There was no more rushing to classes for her. That was for Accepted and novices. A tiny smile crossed her lips for just a few seconds before she made it go away. Who knows how Vera might interpret that.

Jagen was no fool--or at least she certainly tried not to be. She always took the time to weigh every word said to her, every glance cast her way, to watch her own actions and words. She understood how her friends thought she would join the Browns. But in her opinion, the Browns were rather useless unless it came to needing knowledge. But what else could they do?

"Hm, and I wonder how to explain how I've been," she mused, not usually one for light conversation. She wondered if Vera was a very popular Gray. She seemed charismatic at least, and Jagen was sure that was very important. She appreciated what the Grays did, but some matters they seemed to concern themselves with just seemed foolish. Who cared about fishing rights in lakes versus rivers in whatever kingdom it was? Let kings and queens handle that sort of thing! "I suppose busy, but that's a given. I'm worried, a little, I admit. I planned for years to pay a visit home once I attained the shawl but now with everything going on. . . Well, some plans must be abandoned, yes? I will have other matters to attend to, I am sure."

Never having known Jagen as an initiate or Accepted, the conversation was taking some delicate -and interesting- turns. She would have to probe a little more gently she realised, before comprehending just which breed of tête-à-tête suited the Taraboner best. It was good that she had greeted her, Vera decided. An interesting challenge, and if there were ever a challenge Vera relished best, it was people. Rather, the ability to assess people correctly. It had been Nyssa who had recognised the trait, over lessons of Daes Dae’mar. She’d made sure that Vera honed it as far as her horizons could possibly stretch, during trips to Tar Valon and Mayene. The final result? People to her, whenever and whoever she met bore semblance to puzzles. And as the adage stated so justly: every puzzle could be solved.

“There’s a right time for everything.” A humble response, and one she would support on good and bad days alike. Jagen was right though, the turns the Tower and it’s people had taken of late had been the darkest she had ever seen. One Sitter of the Gray had heard her grieving once for another lost, when a new Amyrlin had to be chosen. Ziya Asunawa, of Altaran blood and strength that was displayed in the very recesses of her eyes. She had risen, smiled and touched Vera’s cheek and said, “The Tower endures. We are the Tower, so we endure too.” It had kept her still for many an hour, even after the Sitter had breezed away. They were the Tower, so they endured. She had never looked at it like that, that they were one with the marble halls she now called home. Now that she did, she’d lost that dream every new Sister had on the top of her priorities. To visit the other home, the land from where she had first come. It had been in her too, when she had first draped the Gray shawl around her shoulders. The fabric had been so soft.

“Healing is a slow process, but it will happen. It is happening, as we speak. Look around, after you leave the dining halls and you will see.” Raising the cup to her lips, she let the porcelain simply stay as it was for a few moments. The tea was aromatic…herbal? When it did slip through, she allowed it to course down slowly, soothing her throat as it did. “Rather than abandoned, would rather that you tucked them away. Not forgetting, but not a distraction from focus needed either. Then when opportunity presents itself, they shall come. It’s been tried and tested, I can certify that.” Another sip, but this time she plucked out one apple slice from the plate. A nibble and then another, as elegantly as she could. She hadn’t realised she was hungry.

~Vera Cadsanome

Gray Ajah

Jagen pursed her lips thoughtfully at the Gray's words, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly. She felt a bit offended by the comment, but was careful not to snap that she wasn't a child anymore. "Some things must be forgotten," she said firmly, "and others must be put on hold. I have little desire to see my home right now. Tarabon, it is probably in a poor condition as ever."

She took another bite of her breakfast but the sweet taste seemed to have faded a little. She found her mind distracted. Talking about the condition of her home wasn't something she liked talking about. As much as she was at home at the White Tower, letting go of Tarabon just wasn't easy. As a servant of the Panarch, in her free time she had always explored the city, and privileges to see all the entertainments within.

But Tarabon wasn't the only thing suddenly souring her mood. It was the Tower itself. Even this place wasn't as safe as it once was, and perhaps its glory had gone down a notch. And with the new law in the Tower about studying men before gentling them... She took up another forkful of food. How ridiculous! There was nothing to study about them or saidin. Gentle them and be done with it. Jagen was of an opinion that men shouldn't have access to the One Power at all, tainted or no. Some men were alright, she knew, and she liked going out dancing with some, but when it came to channeling... well, some men weren't any better than animals. It all depended, she supposed, on the individual.

But all must be gentled. "Nothing is the same anymore," she said aloud. "But everything and everyone must change. I'm aware of this." Her life as a Sister of the Red was going to be much harder than she realized. Suddenly she wasn't so sure if she was ready for the challenges ahead. The red-headed woman sat back in the chair, thinking on her test. That had been more than harsh. But she appreciated every moment of it, at least. Jagen felt herself more angry than scared or embarrassed throughout it, admittedly. And anger was what often kept her going. It took a while as a novice to get her temper down, a temper that had built up growing up with her stepfather and becoming a servant. Those had been deemed by her as the great injustices of her life. Now that she was one of the most powerful women in the world--an Aes Sedai--she felt that those were barriers she had to overcome. She would stand little for being trampled upon now by anyone.

"The problems today, they are just one more stepping stone to climb over. When we reach the other side, there may be more, but we have to keep going. I don't plan on letting anything stop me." She realized she had lost her desire to eat, and not wanting to be in the dining hall anymore, she stood. If Vera wanted to accompany her, she could; Jagen gave no indication of whether she wanted to be alone or not. She just wanted to walk around the Tower, and maybe walk around outside. She would not have minded if the Sister--the other Sister--joined her. Perhaps it would be nice to have someone to talk to about such things, and having someone who wasn't a Red might be better.

Guest Estel

ooc: late as usual, yay for 2am inspiration though!

Fwump.

If fwump needs some explaining, put it together with a ghastly early hour, a cranky Aes Sedai and the sound of something heavy and half-rolled in blankets hitting the rug.  Estel Sedai, Blue Bi-atch extrodinaire, quite literally rolled out of bed some two hours after her Warder had left it.  Grumbling as she made it to her feet, nearly tripping over the sheets tangled around her long legs, she could feel his amusement at her early morning bad mood.  ‘Bastard.  Go ahead and laugh from a safe distance.’

Shivering, she wrapped a blanket around her naked body and slumped over to the washbasin where she proceeded to completely immerse her head in the chilly water.  The Domani gasped as she reemerged and only after wiping water out of her eyes, teeth chattering all the more, did she warm the water with saidar and continue with her morning routine.

Had she been able to get away with it, Estel would have been more than happy to change her sleeping hours to match those of the raccoons and other nocturnal life inhabiting the Grove of which she got a lovely view of out her window.  As was, though, her life had only finally changed from that of and Accepted with the additions of Rossa and Aeveryn to the Blue Ajah, so her older Sisters had other people to babysit, instead of just her.  However, Serena still found excuses to check in with Estel every morning.

Knock knock.

There she was.  “I’m up.”

“Funny.” said the Saldaean, letting herself in.  “I’m only here to drop off another set of journals from Melian.”

“Wasn’t that your excuse yesterday.  Honestly, it’s been almost two years, Sir...”

“You never learn do you,” said Serena cutting her off “and that’s why I’m still your babysitter.”

Ten minutes later saw Estel leaving her room, as obviously grumpy as “Aes Sedai decorum” would allow.

When she arrived in the dining hall, her foul temper was further inflamed when she found two women sitting at her usual table: one irritatingly familiar and the other wearing a Red shawl.  Normally, she would have just glared at them from across the room at another table, but she was already furious and feeling particularly petty and so she simply sat down at the table, rudely remaining silent and not offering any form of greeting or courtesy towards the other two.

Oooooo, a Blue and Domani! Ouch!  ;)

Jagen half-turned her head toward Vera. "Would you accompany me?" she asked. Her inquiry was partly because she wouldn't have minded continuing their conversation, and also she didnt' want to seem rude. Maybe Jagen was cool and distant sometimes but she did try her best not to seem rude. Unless she wanted to be.

And speaking of rudeness, as she rose out of her chair Jagen stopped unexpectedly, nearly offering a curtsy almost out of habit. But with her mind acting more quickly than her body she simply sat down again in surprise, staring wide-eyed at Estel. She didn't know the woman personally, but she had seen her plenty of times before, and some as Accepted--the woman had gone Blue. And she was a Domani. Added up, that was three things to make her a bit reasonably upset.

Jagen straightened in her chair and calmed her composure. Except for being tight lipped. Jagen was always tight-lipped even when slightly annoyed, and it became something of a trademark look on her face among the Accepted and novices. Patience wasn't exactly a strong suite of hers either. However, she gave herself a moment to let her feel out Estel's strength. As soon as Jagen learned it wasn't necessarily a bad thing to do anymore, she picked up the habit again a bit too quickly. The Taraboner Red was stronger. Jagen tried sitting up a bit straighter and purposely played with her new shawl to make the long red fridge sway. She wanted Estel to know her new rank. She wondered if Estel would readily recognize her or if Jagen was already just another face in the crowd. "Excuse me," she said firmly, veil fluttering as she spoke, "but if you're going to sit here the least you could do is greet us, no? Or, in the very least, you could have asked to join us. This conversation was private."

Despite her brave words though, Jagen felt nervous. She was testing new waters. Even if she was Aes Sedai too now, what is for some reason or another she had to defer to Estel? What ranked that among Sisters, she wondered? Against her deeper thoughts she kept her dark blue eyes trained on Estel's.

Guest Estel

Estel smiled.  The sort of smile dogs gave each other as a warning to get off their territory.  The Blue was half-tempted to actually fold her top lip under and turn it to a full-out snarl but unfortunately, Aes Sedai acting like animals did not help one’s social position and Estel had fallen down too many rungs on that slippery ladder already.  Her reputation really couldn’t take too many more beatings.  As if was she was showing enough teeth to turn this into a threat.

Without the restrictions of the Three Oaths, she would have responded with a sickly-sweet “Oh, I sorry, I didn’t see you there.”  Damned Oaths.  Instead, she settled for “I’m sorry, I hadn’t realised I needed an invitation to this party.  Should I perhaps change my dress?  Fix my hair?  Do tell me when they’ll be serving champagne.”

She really shouldn’t be fighting with the Red, Ajah animosity or not.  But between the early hour, Serena’s reprimand and Orion’s smugness, not to mention her blind hatred for the Red Ajah, Estel really couldn’t help herself.  Light, she hadn’t had a good fight with a Red since Rayne back when she was still a Novice.

Giving the Red another toothy smile, Estel returned to ignoring her and eating her breakfast.

Aeveryn

A little time had passed since Aeveryn had been raised to wear the shawl. Initially she had been somewhat intimidated with her new life, but slowly she was settling into the new rhythm and adopted the new situation. At least she had not slipped badly apart from that one occasion with Rossa Sedai. But then she had been bone weary and near to starving. Still, she was determined to never humiliate herself as badly again, ever.

Last week, finally her first piece of furniture had arrived. Well, her quarters contained a bed, some chairs and a table, but this was the first piece of furniture she had chosen herself. It was a heavy, chunky wardrobe, the wood nearly black as if it was ebony. For a moment she wondered if it really was ebony. Aevy had given the craftsmen rough guidelines as to how she wanted it and the piece of furniture had turned out most beautifully. Well at least that was her perception and while she thought it was quite pretty, some other Aes Sedai had commented it looked rather Cairhienin, whatever that was to mean. 

It contained all dresses Rossa and her had made during their common shopping spree. Of course all were in some shade of blue and while most were made of silk, she also owned garments made of fine wool. Initially she had rejected the thought of dressing so opulent. At first she had been hesitant to wear skirts at all. Now, that she was free to choose as she wished, it had been tempting to wear breeches, or at least have some made. But truth to be told, she had found pleasure in wearing these gowns. A soft smile played on her lips as she selected a fairly simple dress, the blue as pale as it could be imagined.

Aeveyn still rose before the first sun, and once she had readied herself for the day, she contemplated her reflection. A month ago she had been just skin and bones. Now she nearly felt fat, but really she was still a little too slim. She had to admit, that her complexion was much healthier now. Being Aes Sedai did do her good. Being Aes Sedai had brought her a certain amount of piece and solitude.

Before going down to have breakfast she made a few notes. She had studied old scrolls until late last night, and usually in the mornings, when her mind was still fresh, she had the best conclusions. This morning it was particularly like that, and before she realised, hours had gone by and a dozen parchments were covered with her neat and yet somewhat plain hand. It was her rumbling stomach that made her finally leave her rooms. With her being raised hunger had returned. But there was another reason for her wanting to eat. She felt the need to show she was Aes Sedai now. Probably the perception was wrong, but she had been an accepted for such a long time, she was worried some sisters thought she would never be raised. She wanted everyone to see that she had indeed finally taken the oaths. She wanted to show she was Aes Sedai. Proudly she draped the blue fringed shawl onto her shoulders before finally leaving her quarters.

Reaching the dinning halls, Aeveryn stopped a little abruptly and for the fraction of a second her face slipped. She had heard that Jagen had been raised just before her. She had also heard that the woman had chosen the red Ajah. But it was one thing to hear something like that, and another to see the very woman sitting there to prove the rumours were true.

Aeveryn did not notice how her face twitched for a moment. She thought she had been above such thing, but it did irritate her when girls arriving after her at the white tower were raised to the shawl before her. But Jagen was different. Aeveryn had already worn the banded dress for a few years when this brat had arrived. She had witnessed her becoming her equal in what seemed to be an unjustifiable short time. That had hurt already. But clearly what she had been told was true. Jagen had somehow managed to become Aes Sedai before her. How? It wasn’t right. It wasn’t fair. A glum feeling spread through Aeveryn. She was only dimly aware that the feeling consuming of her wasn’t right and proper. Initially she did not even understand the sensations herself, but when she suddenly did, an odd grin formed on her face. She wanted to hurt that woman. It was the first time ever she sensed an emotion similar.

By the love of the light, she remembered this girl squeal during her lessons. She remembered her playing pranks like a little child. She remembered her stealing. She would have had the brat’s hide for that and Aeveryn failed to see how the Mistress of Novices could be so blind to only punish her for playing a prank, rather then flogging her or sending her to the farm for a few years. Curse the woman, but one of the main reasons for her to take this long was because of the years she had been at the farm, for reasons far less severe!

Aeveryn had half a mind to go over there and strangle the woman with that ugly red shawl she wore. It was Estel Sedai’s presence that made her hesitate. Estel wasn’t the most respected sister in the tower, but Aeveryn was far more worried about her own reputation, and currently she did not dare to flaw in front of any sister, especially not one of the Blue Ajah. And she had the strong feeling right now, it would take Jagen just two words to make her loose her wonderful Aes Sedai serenity.

Making a little way, she decided it was best to watch for the moment to see how things developed. She could still insult the red later.

The sequences that followed, unfolded rapidly.

At one moment, she had lifted her small frame besides that of Jagen, a little taken aback by the abrupt manner in which the Red had risen from her breakfast. She had wondered, not without a considering glance, what it was that Jagen intended by having done so. Vera wouldn’t have minded staying behind, if that was what the other wished, but a little more courtesy would’ve been quite welcome. However, it was the lack of suggestion down either path that made her flare, and so she decided that she would assume as she saw fit, just as the Red Sister had invited her to.

At the next, Vera froze. Estel Sedai was passing by them. Her face, that usual darkened mask asserting that today was(like all other days in Estel Liones Sedai’s life) a black one, with little joy. Vera smoothed her own visage deftly, knowing full well that by the time Estel Sedai would’ve sailed past, hers would be an expression of sheer serenity. Perhaps that would aggravate the Sister to a level beyond, and perhaps she wouldn’t bother to hide it either. The pettier side of Vera Cadsanome brightened at the thought, and unforeseen impulse lured her into smiling at Estel as she…sat down right beside them.

Smug Aes Sedai do not stay smug for long, when they cross Estel Liones Sedai.

The thought flew in unbidden, but she didn’t shun it away. The shock that she had first experienced reduced at the thought, and she forced a smile. Exchanging a glance with Jagen, who was obviously affronted by the sudden appearance of the Blue, Vera motioned that they should sit. Once seated, Vera found herself flummoxed. Which way to turn now? Estel had made no inquiries after them, not even a distant nod, although it didn’t surprise her as much as it seemed to have Jagen. Knowing that the Red was watching her in question at the Sister’s behaviour, she turned her eyes from her tea to the Taraboner.

It was then, that Vera found herself staring eye to eye with opportunity. Here was a fiery Red who matched her red mane well apparently, who Estel had decided was her victim of the day. She returned Jagen’s glance with puzzlement, helplessly looking from the bent shape of Estel’s head to the Red. What to do? She asked Jagen the question through her eyes, musing about what the new Sister would come up with. In some ways, this could even be seen as a test she supposed, except that there would have to be something truly miraculous to cause Vera and Estel to work in coordination.

When Jagen’s words lilted out, Vera felt a fresh wave of satisfaction. Perfect, she thought silently. Havoc or not, in her pettiness, that was exactly the sort of riposte she had hoped for. Now though, it was time to leave. She would rather skip an unpleasant conflict of Estel rearing her head and roaring, and Jagen leaping back in return. “Sister,” she began, looking towards Jagen, “I am feeling quite full, and your breakfast is almost over, no?” She swallowed the last of her tea without tasting it and waited for Jagen’s response, unaware that yet another Sister was approaching.

~Vera Sedai

Petty!

“I’m sorry, I hadn’t realized I needed an invitation to this party.  Should I perhaps change my dress?  Fix my hair?  Do tell me when they’ll be serving champagne.”

Estel's words came right before Vera's, with more than a hint that they should leave. Jagen wasn't about to leave without pushing back at Estel though. Jagen was not going to be bullied. She was one whom was never bullied by others simply because whatever someone did to her, she would fight back with twice the venom and vengeance.

A thin smile creased Jagen's lips as she pulled her shawl over her more. She made a mental note to get another red-fringed shawl, but with even longer brighter fringe.

"Of course Vera." She stood up gracefully, with a smile for Estel that promised she would have more than a hard time trying to beat her down. The fool.

"Well, Estel, I may not know about the champagne--you look like you could have finished the Tower's stock besides--but if you could do something about your hair and state of dress it'd be easier for everyone's eyes. You look almost as tacky as a Tinker and in a rough enough state to match a Domani tavern maid on a weekend's evening. I'm almost surprised you're let out of your quarters that way, but then the Blues do seem to love causing a ruckus wherever they go, whether with words or by letting their Sisters mingle among the crowd with attitudes befit children. Why don't you go back to bed because both your attitude and appearance could really use it."

She had slammed home. At least she hoped. Insulting the woman personally, her Ajah, and her country all in one blow. And every word spoken for pure truth. Jagen wasn't sure if she was thoroughly enjoying this or if she rather it all stop now. Everyone wanted to act like children for Light's sake! But then, these were the same women they were when they arrives on the Tower's doorstep. Just much stronger. Light, now that they were Aes Sedai and on equal footing it was as if none of them had gone pass their lower ranks. However this was to be expected in an all-female society, full of rivalry, strong friendships, and betrayal. Jagen realized she was going to have to fight harder than ever.

ooc: The thread's still open, right? I just wanted to drop in - let me know if I'm interfering in a planned showdown. :)

Being nominally the most powerful woman in the world had its drawbacks, in fact it had enough drawbacks to populate the island of Tar Valon many times over, but one Sirayn Damodred particularly hated was not being able to get her breakfast in peace. She had had some fanciful idea that when she put off the seven-striped shawl at the end of a ceremony she could at least pretend to be an ordinary Aes Sedai. In fact people seized on her every appearance, no matter how casual, as an opportunity to further their personal interests. As the Amyrlin Seat she had a duty to represent her Aes Sedai and she respected that … usually. She just wished they didn’t want representing when she was trying to get some bloody breakfast.

Tomorrow she might give into temptation and just have a tray brought up to her quarters. At least she could work on something concrete, something she could touch, rather than facilitate positive communication or whatever the humanists babbled about. She might even face up to something she had studiously avoided so far and get herself a maid -- an impending decision that still made her shudder. It was tradition: the Amyrlin Seat had to have a maid. Tradition was as strong as law … but she had been raised a commoner, she could have been a maid, it just wasn’t right.

But this morning, despite the determined efforts of half the Tower to engage her in tiresome political conversation while she waited in line, Sirayn had set herself one goal: a scone. Just an ordinary scone, maybe still warm from the oven, perhaps a bit of butter and some jam. She planned to sacrifice the rest of her day on the altar of political interests, for which she deserved a sainthood let alone the baked item of her choice, but for now she had every intention of getting that scone if she had to bake it herself. And considering she baked with all the skill of a drunken sailor it really would be much better for all concerned if she could just get … to the front … of the queue.

She was about ten tantalising steps from her goal when in a momentary lull she heard the sweet tones of her most favourite person in all the world: “I’m sorry, I hadn’t realised I needed an invitation to this party.  Should I perhaps change my dress?  Fix my hair?  Do tell me when they’ll be serving champagne.”

And the response of somebody she could just tell was about to become her second favourite person in all the world: “You look almost as tacky as a Tinker and in a rough enough state to match a Domani tavern maid on a weekend's evening … Why don't you go back to bed because both your attitude and appearance could really use it.”

By dint of biting her tongue she managed not to say anything unflattering at all about Estel bloody Liones … but she definitely thought it. She couldn’t just ignore it; the wretched woman could pick a fight in an empty room and, shawl or no shawl, she had limited faith in the self control of anybody she did not know personally. Therefore, though her heart cried out scone! in the most mournful fashion, Sirayn left the queue resignedly and followed an oblique course through the crowded room until she could approach right behind the Domani object of her wrath. She had few enough little amusements in life that she still liked to watch people realise that the Amyrlin Seat had materialised two steps behind them.

In political terms the three women -- the Grey Ajah’s darling, the Blue Ajah’s millstone and the Red Ajah’s newest member -- made a strange little trio united by nothing she could see. She would ordinarily have assigned the latter two points for being in the same room together without starting a kind of no-contact war but, by the sound of it, the opening shots had already been fired. Normally she would not have intervened, the sink-or-swim policy ascertained that only the strongest or indeed most creatively poisonous survived, but that rather relied on the senior members of various Ajahs enforcing discipline and she didn’t see anyone else looking either senior or forceful. Senior and forceful being her default settings, she nominated herself to intervene.

So, resigned to her doom, at the earliest possible moment she interjected “Good morning, ladies!” and switched on a smile which suggested that, this indeed being a morning, she encouraged them to see it as good. “Congratulations on your raising yesterday, Jagen Sedai, and are we all having a pleasant and productive morning?” And why, she wondered plaintively, had she had to give up her precious scone to enforce a ceasefire in the dining hall?

Sirayn Damodred

Amyrlin Seat

OOC: OMG, this thread has turned out like ten times better than I thought it would be. Sirayn, what a surprise! That was a knockout! XD

Jagen's eyes widened ever so slightly at hearing that familiar voice behind her. But the Red's smile didn't disappear. Even as she turned and listened to the Amyrlin's words, that little smirk on her face only grew. She had delivered her blow to Estel and the woman--at least that she knew--wouldn't be foolish enough to go any further with this ridiculous fight in front of the Amyrlin Seat. 

Jagen curtsied. Not as deep as she had as an Accepted but as deep as the other Aes Sedai with her gave. Despite the Amyrlin's obviously sweetly sarcastic tone, Jagen found herself soothed by the woman's presence. As used to such bickering as she was between the women of the White Tower these past years, it didn't mean she had a desire to continue it. "Mother," she greeted. "I am having a wonderful morning, thank you," she answered honestly, "and I'm more than graced by your presence in this already busy day." She lightly cleared her throat, a light blush suddenly coming to her cheeks. She wasn't sure if this was proper being new, but she decided to perform a request. "Actually if I could, I would like to talk to you sometime, whenever you have a minute I could schedule to visit with you, about some matters." She had thought long and hard the night before last, after test and before swearing the oaths, about exactly what she could and would do for the Tower as a Sister. But her own plans required a talk with the Mother.

Already she was almost forgetting her encounter with Estel and the annoyance toward her. Jagen was always quick to resume her business-like persona, because for her, everything was about business and seriousness. Not trivial arguments and games.

Guest Estel

The moody Blue had immediately recognized and noticed Vera when her eyes had noticed her occupied table.  By ignoring her, she was desperately hoping that the annoying Gray, who seemed to creepily be wherever Estel was, particularly when she was nude or crying, would go away and leave her alone.  The Gray and Red exchanged looks after Estel’s sarcasm and a small part of the Blue’s brain sighed in relief, hoping Vera had latched onto Jagen instead of herself.

She smiled smugly as Vera attempted to lead the Red away and in looking in the direction of their hasty would-be exit, her smiled grew as she lay eyes on Aeveryn.  ‘We’re on equal footing now, insolent chits.’  “Aeveryn!” the vindictive Blue exclaimed, calling her youngest sister over.  “Do join me for breakfast.  It seems my company is retreating, tails between their legs, back to their own territory.”  Yes she was baiting the other two but with Aeveryn here, she held the upper hand.  Besides, she was Vera’s elder by some fifteen or so years while the other two were her juniors by at least another five to ten.

A great feeling of satisfaction filled Estel as Jagen rose to her bait.  This of course was accompanied by even intenser levels of fury but there was definite joy to be able to goad your opponents into a fight they could not hope to win.  “Ah yes, because veils are so fashionable in Tar Valon these days.  I may look like a tavern maid, wench, but honestly, who let you out of her cage at the menagerie?  Or was your baggy red cloth distracting the bulls across the way?  And lastly, we Blues may cause a ruckus, but it pales in comparison to those you and your sisters spend all day at in your bedroo...”

"Mother..."  The icy smile which had previously occupied Estel’s face, exuding smug malevolence, vanished and her jaw and heart simultaneously plunged to the deepest, dusty vault in the bowels of the Tower.  It was lucky for her that Jagen was preoccupied with Sirayn, because the pure look of pain on Estel’s face would have given the woman more of a victory than any insult.  The Blue squeezed her eyes shut to try and deny this horrible reality and her whimper bordered on audibility.

Suddenly Vera’s butterknife called to her hand.  ‘If only it were sharper...  Too bad they don’t serve steak for breakfast.’

“Mother,” Estel feigned the most innocent smile possible as she stood and curtsied “your timing is impeccable.”  ‘How in the bloody blasted Pit of Doom can the woman show up every time, EVERY LIGHT-FORSAKEN TIME it’s incredibly inconvenient.’  “Would you, umm, like me to get you breakfast?” she glanced back at the butterknife, still sitting on the table and wondered how hard she would have to stab herself with it before she cut an artery.

It felt good to be back home, as much as Lillian liked traveling about in the world and getting things done there was a certain security about the place that she had lived for nearly thirty years and spent another thirty years representing.  Well, not always openly representing it, in fact her gleeman's garb was far from representative of an Aes Sedai with the myriad of colours it sought to captivate and blind people with.  She wouldn't have said it was disreputable, but it certainly qualified as alternative garment for a sister to be wearing.

But, she'd just come back from the south and it had been a lot of hard travel on her part.  Since she didn't like to be kept track of and prefered to blend in with people, this had been her choice of disguise for the past two months.  She'd woken up early and not bothered with making herself breakfast, knowing that Tar Valon wasn't far away, and she'd pushed hard to get to the Tower simply so she could have a decent breakfast.  But, parading around the Tower in such an outfit was not something one normally did.

So instead she was sitting in the kitchens, talking to some of the novices as well as the kitchen staff, telling some of the more amusing stories of her latest piece of travel.  All the while, she asked how people were, trying to catch up on what had been going on in the Tower and amongst other things, learned that two Accepted had been raised while she was gone, Aeveryn and Jagen.  She would have to go and see them when she had the time and congratulate each of them personally.

Finishing her breakfast, she washed up the dish and cutlery herself before making her way to the door leading into the Dining Hall.  She wanted to have a peek and get an idea of who was around in the Tower currently.  Most faces she recognised immediately, but it was one particular gathering that caught her attention.  Estel, Vera and Jagen, and the looks on atmosphere that coming from their table was less than cordial.  It was further emphasised by those near them appearing to concentrate on what they were doing but keeping an ear open.  Wincing, Lillian couldn't help but wonder what had precipitated it, Blue and Red Ajah rivalry perhaps?

It got worse when Aeveryn was pulled over, but things went beyond terrible when the Amyrlin Seat herself decided to walk over.  That wasn't going to end well for someone, and Lillian had a suspicion as to who it would be.  Straightening the violin case that was hanging over her shoulder, she took a deep breath as she walked out into the Dining Hall.  Ignoring the glances she got from other tables, she quickly closed with the group and stepped beside Sirayn and curtsied to get her attention, odd because she was wearing breeches.

"Forgive me Mother for my intrusion and for my garb but I only just returned today.  I was wondering if I could steal Estel Sedai away, I have some important matters that I need to discuss with her private."  As if realising something, Lillian turned to Jagen and Aeveryn with a smile on her face.  "And before I forget, congratulations to the pair of you on your raising to the Red and Blue, I have no doubt you will both be a credit to your Ajahs."  Which was true, both of them were well suited to their choices though Lillian had not thought Jagen would turn Red.  She had thought that Jagen would in fact become a White sister like herself, but that was clearly not what the wheel had woven for her.

Turning back to Sirayn, Lillian's smile dropped away as she asked.  "May Estel Sedai and myself have your leave, Mother?"

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Her smile went a little stiff when she heard the kind of language her own Aes Sedai were using to refer to one another in a busy place, she despised public infighting with the fire of a thousand suns, but it struck her that laying down the law would have the same effect as introducing a shark to a tank of silverpike: more blood in the water. So she pretended not to have heard anything untoward. Only internally did she make a note to take the two women aside, separately, and discuss with them exactly when one should address another Aes Sedai as “wench” or suggest that she looked “as tacky as a Tinker” -- a charming little phrase she would have pulled up had she been remotely interested in Tinkers.

Like corn beneath the scythe, a simile she often wished she could make literal when people irritated her, her new companions curtseyed to her. She inclined her head graciously to acknowledge them and did not strangle anybody, not even Estel bloody Liones, whose son she had had to put back together personally due to his mother’s criminal irresponsibility. Both the miscreants did their best to impersonate shining beacons of innocence; smiling far more than was natural Sirayn impersonated somebody who did not want to bang their heads together while she mourned the passing of her scone. She had had a dream -- of a perfect scone, a thing of beauty, an apotheosis of … whatever ingredients went into a scone … well, an uninterrupted breakfast was her real hope, possibly in a quiet place not filled with a plague of political locusts, but she would have settled for the damn scone.

It gratified her a little bit that both women put aside their argument. She hadn’t expected them to defy her, not at this precarious stage of their fledgling careers, but an irrational part of her hadn’t quite believed that Sirayn Damodred, once the Tower’s least favourite daughter, could quell a quarrel with a well-placed smile. Half the time she didn’t understand or even like other people, in their infinite complexity, their irrationality and their frequent and inexplicable outbursts of violence, and she still had a soldier’s instincts when it came to people who crossed her, but she had resolved this little skirmish without any bloodshed at all. She felt rather proud of herself. Progress announced itself with a smile.

Entirely too little eating of scones having been done so far, she hovered on the point of sending Estel bloody Liones to fetch the item thereof, but it struck her as poor form to employ Aes Sedai as table waiters -- even ones who deserved to be stabbed with that butter knife -- and therefore she told herself sternly to resist temptation. She hoped the damn woman had had kittens at her unexpected arrival, but who was she fooling, all her effort had gone for nothing; Estel was no more a fit Aes Sedai now than she had ever been.

One day she might face trial. She knew that; it was a risk she had taken on freely. But perhaps the most grievous of her crimes, yet one for which she could never be tried, was her failure to raise an Aes Sedai army to fight the Last Battle.

She had an uncanny knack for bringing the imminent end of the world into everything. Scones, she told herself, think of scones! Perhaps if she separated the two women for now and then made a dash for the kitchens she could finally get her scone while still feeling righteous. Unfortunately she had always suspected the world was conspiring against her ever having a moment of peace and, just when she was preparing to pack the offenders off in different directions and make good her escape, the next moment only proved it true.

An apparition in eye-gougingly garish garb, topped off for some reason by a musical instrument, arrived from the approximate direction of the kitchens. Only through urgent application of a mental brake did she not point out that the service entrance was elsewhere; her level of amusement lowered still further when she recognised Lillian Tremina. She reserved a special category of dislike for women who, while purporting to represent the Tower, actually undermined all it stood for and Lillian Sedai, whom she suspected despised all things Tower, ranked high in that category. She had distrusted Lillian since their first meeting, railed and cursed at every word of Lillian’s supposed master work with its apparent desire to turn the Tower into a gigantic breeding factory, and generally marked the woman as completely untrustworthy. The horrific offences against colour didn’t help either. But what irritated her most at that point in time was the fact that she had interrupted her own morning, much against her will, to enforce a little peace between quarrelling Aes Sedai, which she had done as pleasantly and effectively as she could, only for some dribbling infant to decide that the Amyrlin Seat couldn’t possibly keep two stripling sisters quiet and their meeting needed to be broken up at once.

She said nothing injudicious; she had to stamp hard on her sarcasm to do so, but the Amyrlin did not engage in territory-marking, even if she felt her toes had been thoroughly stepped on. Estel answered to one master and one only: her. She told herself that, anyway. Not that she even cared what Estel thought about pretty young women in the first place. “I do like to see such a happy gathering of friends and sisters,” Sirayn said with her brightest smile. “By all means, don’t let me hold you up. I’m sure you two have much to discuss.” She smiled at Estel too, something she hoped the younger woman found unnerving, and promised herself that they would have yet another conversation about fitting behaviour … one which Estel bloody Liones would not enjoy. “Perhaps Jagen Sedai and I will go for a little stroll.” She bid a plaintive inner farewell to her scone. “If you will excuse us, Daughters.”

Sirayn Damodred

Amyrlin Seat

Jagen looked warily at the Amyrlin when she suggested their stroll, having torn her gaze from the site of someone who was obviously Aes Sedai but dressed as anything other than one. She was thinking it inappropriate until the Amyrlin spoke. Did she really mean to speak right then with Jagen on her request? Or was she about to receive a warning about fighting with Estel?

She wanted to turn and shoot a glare at the Blue, but instead fell in step beside the Amyrlin Seat, the oddly-dressed Aes Sedai drifting out of her mind right then--though she did wonder what she wanted with Estel. Her steps matched the Mother's, though with her above-average height and Sirayn's petite frame, she had to shorten her stride. She walked to the side of the Amyrlin and ever so slightly behind her, her large blue eyes thoughtful, head bent slightly down though her posture was straight. She wanted to speak first but wasn't sure if it would be proper. But there was so much she wanted to speak to her about. She had been waiting a long time to share her thoughts and now that she was a Sister she could earn her audience with the Amyrlin and be listened to. Jagen had a duty to do, a very important one. To her, it was more important than most Sisters' goals. But how much could she trust even the Amyrlin?

Even if it turns out I can't--if I am wrong about Sirayn, there is only so much even she can do to stop me. I'm just hoping she will understand my viewpoint. Sirayn began speaking. Jagen looked up--or rather, down, at her, taken from her thoughts.

Lillian's face was neutral as the Amyrlin declared that she liked to see such a happy gathering.  She was well reminded of the time she had interviewed the Amyrlin when she had been an Accepted and Sirayn had been a Green Sister.  Even now it seemed that the Amyrlin was willing to indulge in a stab or two, she might not have been able to tell a lie but the bright smile on the Amyrlin's face was more than enough to confirm exactly what was going on in the Amyrlin's mind for Lillian.  She did not appreciate the unnecessary swipre taken at the pair, or the look that the Amyrlin gave to Estel.

Seeing that the Amyrlin planned to take Jagen Sedai for a talk, Lillian smiled as the Amyrlin asked them to take their leave.  "Thank you Mother, your consideration as always speaks well of you."  Curtseying once again despite the lack of a skirt, Lillian turned around to Estel.  "If you would accompany me, sister?"  Lillian didn't pause for an answer but began walking even as Estel fell into step with her as they made for the exit to the Dining Hall.  From there they began to walk toward the White Quarters, Lillian's room specifically so they could have some privacy while they spoke.

They would have a good deal to speak of.

Lillian Tremina

Sister of the White Ajah

Aeveryn realised she looked like a novice eavesdropping and decided to take a seat closer to the group and Jagen. But what she got to hear then, nearly made her sit up again. Jagen had the nerve to openly attack another sister like that? Estel was of her Ajah. Estel Sedai had accepted her and Aeveryn felt she owed the woman respect and support. 

Aeveryn had risen and she had prepared to go over there and do something, when she froze. For a moment she looked like one of those insects that had been trapped into amber eons ago, so lifelike, seemingly in the middle of some motion, and yet perfectly dead and rendered immobile. Then, by now really feeling like a novice she sat back down. It took all her strength to keep her face smooth. There were women like Jagen that seemed to embrace being Aes Sedai from the first day, but while Aevy knew she was an equal now, she still felt inferior. But that was not what had made her sit again. Of all persons imaginable the Amyrlin Seat had entered this stage, and Aeveryn was suddenly no longer willing to join the acting.

Just then, Estel eyes found her, and faster then she could have wished, her name was called.

“Aeveryn! Do join me for breakfast.  It seems my company is retreating, tails between their legs, back to their own territory.” Clearly Estel was not aware yet who was with them in the room. Clearly the woman had not realised the mother was watching already, and Aeveryn was certain the Amyrlin seat did not miss the other blue’s taunting.

Aeveryn hoped no one noticed she had curtsied low enough to suit a novice, with her knees almost brushing the floor tiles. The words exchanged flushed through her brain, and while she tried to keep her features plain she could not help but frown at the red sister.

Motion then caught her attention. She had to be dreaming. What appeared to be a gleeman entered the room from the kitchens, wearing the telltale patchwork cloak and breeches. Only it was a woman, and from her words an Aes Sedai at that. It was the presence of a certain woman that made her hold her composure and not giggle at the sight.

More words were exchanged, and for a moment she was not sure where this would head. But suddenly everyone was leaving. Estel with the Gleewoman-Sedai and that cursed red with the mother. Only her and Vera remained behind. But for now her gaze was fixed on Jagen’s back. Aeveryn had thought it an affront for her to address the mother so casually. She had been shocked to see Sirayn Sedai accept that request. What did the mother see in that… red weasel?

Aeveryn tried to push back the passing consideration that her being ignored by the Amyrlin Seat was fuelling her irritation. No, she was not envious. Her irritation was far more rational. Jagen had not deserved the treatment she had received. She would find a way to make the others see that. She would find a way to bring that woman to fall. Of course, she would only do it in the other’s own interest. Clearly, Jagen had too little experience to survive the pitfalls or the tower or the world. She would cure her of that.

Smiling again softly she smiled at Vera before settling down for breakfast.

Ooc: Hi zemi -- it seems like you’re having fun with the ignored/insecure angle for Aeveryn, so I had Sirayn continue to not notice her, but let me know if you’d like me to edit in having noticed and/or spoken to her. :)

Frankly she did not regret leaving the gathering. Most sisters present were strangers to her, a fact not uncorrelated with their general youth and inexperience, but no matter how smooth her face Lillian Tremina never failed to give the impression that she was laughing at her. And why would she not? The woman might be an apologist for mass murder and a liberal so extreme her political views were a scaled-up version of holding hands skipping round in a field of flowers, but she was young and strong and beautiful and, not least, in no way crippled. Sirayn wondered what life must be like for a Domani Aes Sedai -- sailing serenely through life, everyone about her captivated by her gorgeous Domani looks and awed by her sparkly serpent ring … but no, there she was getting bitter again, it had to be a false impression that the Tower was a gigantic catwalk where the unnaturally beautiful coasted through their privileged little lives.

Giving up all hope of her scone, she directed her new companion toward the next exit from the dining hall; as was her habit -- and how many new habits she had had to teach herself to hide it, she hated people noticing, absolutely hated it -- she let Jagen pass through the door first so nobody had to see the Amyrlin Seat being obviously crippled in public. She had done her best to get used to it. It wasn’t going away and anyway everybody knew. But she remembered Aran so strongly that she couldn’t stand to draw any attention to it. It still struck her as the height of irony that Lanfir Leah Marithsen, the Tower’s last hero, had been succeeded by a cripple: look, everybody, symbolism at work!

The corridor outside stood half empty even at this hour, filled only with a scatter of white skirts and a few passing Aes Sedai, all of whom stopped to curtsey to her. She greeted them in passing, this curtsey business was gratifying, and briefly considered her companion. Initiates being too politically and personally insignificant to spend her time on, not to mention a huge proportion never made it to the shawl anyway, she had never met Jagen Halin before yesterday’s ceremony. Naturally she had made one or two enquiries before raising the woman Aes Sedai but learnt only that this one was, thank the Light, not given to needless sentimentality or weakness. The lack of information did not trouble her overly at this point; she intended to test Jagen Sedai herself before she accorded the Taraboner any personal trust.

“So, Jagen Sedai!” She continued to smile, although she considered this much good cheer unnatural, she had to learn to use this tactic too. “I have an appointment in an hour for which I cannot be late,” much though she would love it, irritating people unnecessarily did not tend to get her what she needed, “but until then, I am at your service.” She didn’t recall any hints as to the subject matter of their upcoming discussion, but she steered a course toward the Tower gardens nevertheless, one never knew when one might need immediate and certain privacy. “What can I do for you, Daughter?”

Sirayn Damodred

Amyrlin Seat

Jagen staved off answering for a moment as she gathered her thoughts more and the door for the gardens outside came in site. No one was around. "Well Mother, I have been doing a lot of thinking on... a system within the Tower."

Why am I hesitating? she suddenly wondered at herself. Because she had expected the Amyrlin to chew her out, in truth. But that pit that she realized was in her stomach was getting smaller as her mind turned to the opportunity this was. Hesitating would get her no where and make her look foolish besides. She didn't want to look airy and out of it in front of the Amyrlin. She frowned slightly and spoke more confidently.

"For most Aes Sedai, they spend ten years in white and another ten as Accepted." Jagen herself had gone through her training in nine years, thanks to her dedication, strength, and natural skill. "That means even for those girls with whom we find potential it takes twenty years to attain ring and shawl. Couple that with our dwindling numbers," she knew most Sisters did not want to talk about this but in Jagen's opinion they were just avoiding it, and why bother doing that? It was illogical and solving nothing, "and you can see our growing problem. Especially with all the events going on in and out of the Tower. And the Dragon." Alright, perhaps she shouldn't have mentioned those last three words. But maybe they needed to be said.

"Anyway," she hastily went on, "I had tried coming up with two possible solutions, but the first may be a bit safer than the latter.

First, I've already offered myself up as a teacher for the Accepted. I think it would be good for a few other sisters to do this as well. But my actual proposal is to push our Accepted a little harder in their lessons. They must practice more and they must learn quicker. I believe the more we push them, without doing so too much, the stronger it will make them. I make a formal request to speed up their training. And maybe even the novices too. It would be best if everyone in the Tower could defend themselves.

"My second proposal is to send groups of two or three Sisters out at a time in search of women who can channel. The more we add to our numbers the better, and if we are lucky we can find strong girls. The ones who really have potential. Of course, this would have to be done in secrecy so our Sisters remain safe--however, Traveling does help with that. Our Sisters can come and go as they please, with or without others."

She decided to stop there to see what the Amyrlin thought and, depending on her answers, adjust plans and words accordingly. She understood the danger of sending Sisters out but also felt they needed a way to add to their numbers. And how many girls strong in the Power were not at the Tower?

Edited by Jagen Sedai

Guest Estel

Sirayn was smiling too much.  Far too much.  Estel was scared.  The last time Estel had seen Sirayn smile was when Rossa had posted all those caricatures in the Blue quarters, at which point the bloody ex-Green had seen fit to flounce in and completely humiliate her.  Honestly, the woman must have some sort of ter’angreal or other contraption which she used to tag Estel so she could arrive at exactly the wrong moment.  Bloody Sirayn.

“I do like to see such a happy gathering of friends and sisters.”

Estel rather doubted the Amyrlin knew the meaning of happy.  And from someone who preferred icy sarcasm, this new cheerfulness had the Blue so on edge that all Lillian would have had to say was “Boo!” and she would have jumped right out of her skin.  At the new White’s beckoning, she quickly dropped another curtsey, flashing a quarter fearful, quarter confused, quarter relieved and quarter furious smile in the diminutive woman’s direction before positively scuttling out of the dining room.

It had occurred to her that Jagen Halin might turn out to be one of the bleeding hearts whose only concern, irrespective of the impending end of the world, was to make the Tower a warmer, cuddlier place for everyone. Personally she suspected those people were sublimating their own weak need for human contact into some grand drive to give everybody a hug. Even Dreadlords, Asha'man and Seanchan, some of the most murderous sadists ever to disgrace the world, did not escape. Everybody could see that between the White Tower, an institution which existed only to safeguard and shelter the world, and such illuminaries as the Black Tower or Shayol Ghul, which were built to destroy, the madmen and the murderers deserved sympathy ...

So when Jagen displayed not only intelligence, but an unexpected grasp of the imminent end of everything, it cheered her up no end. She didn't exactly hail the other woman as a kindred spirit, although she found few enough of those in a Tower excessively concerned with rules and ethics to the detriment of such trivialities as saving the world, but Sirayn looked upon her Red Ajah daughter with a new benevolence. In fact, the young lady mirrored her own thoughts so eerily she was half tempted to pinch her to find out if she was a hallucination. It sounded like Jagen had missed one or two key facts -- and who wouldn’t, she had only received the shawl yesterday, she had scarcely begun her Aes Sedai education -- but she sensed a potentially first-class mind lurking behind that Taraboner veil.

“Where have you been before today, Daughter? I’ve been missing out.” She kept her smile in case anybody threatened to take her seriously. “It is not novices we need. Not while the Dragon Reborn is burning Cairhein and the Shadow holds half the Borderlands and the Seanchan wait for another Return. Novices will not take up arms to fight the Last Battle. What we need most of all … are soldiers. I do not refer only to the Green Ajah; she also serves who does not swing a sword. It may be our healing that wins us the Last Battle, or our knowledge, or even the Red Ajah who protects us from another Breaking. But these are all soldiers nonetheless, in our war without end, our long campaign against the Shadow.

“As a new scrap of an Aes Sedai, unburdened by preconceptions or, it seems, excessive knowledge of Tower Law,” she did her best to rob the comment of all offence, though this much smiling was starting to irritate the hell out of her, “how else would you go about building up the Tower’s strength? Bearing in mind that we may have only a few years left before Tarmon Gai’don?”

Sirayn Damodred

Amyrlin Seat