DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Question for the veterans who have completed multiple rereads

I am curious if you long time WOT readers who have invested in rereading the series many times have ever gotten to the point where you no longer notice something that you haven’t noticed before, or gained a greater understanding of one thing or another. I’ve read the books once back to back (including new spring) and am now only on my first reread and I can see that it will take many more rereads before I can even grasp some of the basics. There is so much to unpack and so many layers to unravel that I don’t think it really can be fully absorbed with one or even two read throughs. Anyway, just curious if anyone has read the series enough times that they felt like they had extracted every possible nugget of intrigue you could find. 

I think interactions on these forums have provided insights, ideas, thoughts I never would have considered just through re-reads.  We're all slaves to our own experiences, biases, assumptions. These blinders can be a comfortable place.  But interaction with others can be a richer experience.

I plan to keep reading and discussing all things WoT to see what else I may have missed.

Oh, new perspectives on lots of stuff. The spoilers! I really enjoyed knowing what would happen — why Moiraine was in the Two Rivers for instance, or the details on Padan Faine — and reading it again with the new knowledge. Rand's 'coincidences' meaning far more. It's very, very unusual in being a series I want to re-read.

I think the only other one I'd bother with is Tolkien, since my last read was far too long ago. I tried once. Unfortunately, the characters are tainted now in my head, with the characters of the movies thoroughly implanted. I'll never see them as I once did, and it steals something. Aside from maybe Gandalf. Sir Ian McKellan was basically Every Wizard Ever lol...

ASOIAF, I'd have to re-read if the next book came out, and I don't really want to. I'll leave it as dead as the writer did.

No, I always notice something new. This re-read, absurd as its sounds I'm noticing how much, although he fights it at every turn, Mat is the real hero. Rand is obviously 'The Hero', but he's got no choice. Perrin is Perrin, and Faile has a cattle rod to his back anyway. Mat, I know he's ta'veren so can't avoid it completely but he's just... a really good guy. He fights against it an every turn, makes every effort to avoid getting involved, tries to get away several times. 

Still ends up General of the World, always there when he's needed, can be relied upon to put himself in direct danger to help other people. Awesome character. The fact that he complains loudly, at every opportunity, even while returning to the burning building, makes him all the more appealing. 

When I first started reading I was 15, and got swept up in the 'Rand is so heroic' rhetoric. Now as a 41 year old woman with children and a 20 year long relationship I'm appreciating some of the more subtle personal traits. 

You can still tell the women were written by men though.

5 hours ago, Sarah Smith said:

No, I always notice something new. This re-read, absurd as its sounds I'm noticing how much, although he fights it at every turn, Mat is the real hero. Rand is obviously 'The Hero', but he's got no choice. Perrin is Perrin, and Faile has a cattle rod to his back anyway. Mat, I know he's ta'veren so can't avoid it completely but he's just... a really good guy. He fights against it an every turn, makes every effort to avoid getting involved, tries to get away several times. 

Still ends up General of the World, always there when he's needed, can be relied upon to put himself in direct danger to help other people. Awesome character. The fact that he complains loudly, at every opportunity, even while returning to the burning building, makes him all the more appealing. 

When I first started reading I was 15, and got swept up in the 'Rand is so heroic' rhetoric. Now as a 41 year old woman with children and a 20 year long relationship I'm appreciating some of the more subtle personal traits. 

You can still tell the women were written by men though.

I think a good way to describe Mat is that he kind of wishes he were selfish and lazy, but he isn’t.

All excellent points. IMHO, it seems like for the most part those individuals best suited to be leaders are the ones who don’t seek or even want the job. Also I’m a sucker for the reluctant leader/hero. Especially when they have human flaws and don’t arrogantly assume they know everything or even anything. 

personally i have no idea how i miss so much to be honest...sometimes on a first read you get such a solid picture in your mind to what happened.

these forums are an excellent reference, but yep...on my 5th or 6th read through and still the odd stuff jumps out off the page at me .....

Dumai wells played out so much differently than i interpretted on my first read through i often wonder if i was reading an alternative version first time through🫢