DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

''IF'' a movie or serie... what would be your idea?

Xomudid

i agree with an animated film but i believe channeling can easily be shown, i agree with Robert, but a simple hand gestures would have to do, at least until you get to a part where there aren't many things happening, like when Nyneave is fighting in the Museum, nothing is happening to the naked eye, but they are channeling left and right...that wouldnt make a very interesting scene, unless they did something creative, like have the camera pan around them, but at a distance so that it goes behind things every once in a while, that way, every other time in between objects you can see the weaves flying through the air back and forthe, but the other times you see nothing...

Anime or cartoon would be cheaper but I dont think it would work, mainly because, in general, animation gets tacked with 'kids appeal' regardless of the story. And if you watered WoT down to make it kiddy friendly, it would suck noodles. Not to mention that people who havent read WoT would be less likely to want to watch-in general theyd see cartoon and think it was for children.

I don't think the we'd have to worry about it being too kid friendly if it was made into an anime!  :D More likely just the opposite.

Anyways the principle buying audience that a Wheel of Time anime would be aimed at would be the 16-30 year demographic and they do not view anime as something for children.

I agree with that. I lived in JApan for a few years an most of the anime there is not "kid" friendly in the least. It could be gory and at times very sexual. Anime could do it justice in so many diffent ways as well as completely cature the multi-faced story lines and how they are woven together.

I don't really think thats the case.  The audience could see gateways opening, balefire firing, fireballs and lightning, etc.  Even things like floating a pitcher of tea would be adequately explained by gesture or something while seeing a pitcher of tea float across the screen.  About the only thing that would really need to be seen would be the Cleansing, and the visual effects could be done from Rand's POV ... he can see what's going on, after all.  Maybe some of the more complex Healings, or channeling battles (like say, Nynaeve and Graendal in Tanchico) ... but again, doing it from the channeler's POV would allow the effects to be seen.

The larger issue in my mind is the butchering of the story that would have to occur in any feature film format.

I have to agree. There are all kinds of movies where the camera switches to what one of the characters sees. The third Matrix as an example(just useing that cuz I just saw it ;)) when Neo goes blind but can still "see" the machines, the camera switches back and forth a few times from what everything would really look like, to what Neo is seeing. I think it could be done quite effectivly where it briefly switches to a view of a weave being woven or the effects of it. For example when Rand cleanses Sadin, it is described in a lot of detail, so you could quite easily show something like that, if you were doing a "Rand Vision" or "Eye of the Aes Sedai" kind of thing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what we would need to do is just wait for technology to advance enough to do what is nessisary.

But if it must be done now then I think it would be best don as a CG seiries. Just my own never-to-be-humble oppinion.

BTW Robert: it was Moggy, not Graendal, that Nynaeve was fighting in Tanchico.

Archived