DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mat's Dreams

WhiteVeils

Can anyone explain why the Foresaken don't go hard after Mat's dreams they way they go after Rand's and Perrin's? I'm doing a reread and I'm wondering if I missed something.  Rand eventually learns to ward his dreams, but that takes at least until The Dragon Reborn, and Perrin's dreams are protected by the wolves.  But I never understood why the Foresaken don't get in Mat's head that way.  Is it just too messy a place to be?  

Thanks!

Because plot?

Honestly, he just wasn't seen as important or a threat for a long time.  Book 1 Ishie went after all three because he didn't know which one was the Dragon.  Once he found out he focused on Rand exclusively while just ordering various DFs to kill the other two.

Beyond the simple answer there.  Mat had the corrupting influence of Shadar Logoth in book 2 which might have interfered with the DO's touch.  After that he was seen as a non-issue until he disappeared from Tar Valon and then the people who could have found him in the dream (Lanfear, Graendal, Moghedien) were busy with their own stuff and didn't follow him.

Then in book 4 he gets the medallion and that's that.

Book 1 Once Mat got Shadar Logoth's dagger, I guess he was somewhat cloaked : with the same dagger we see Padan Fain able to escape the Dark One's influence and becoming an independant (but evil) entity, and Rand is somehow saved with his side wound because the 2 evils are fighting each other.

Book 2 : Mat is still under the dagger's influence, and sounds the Horn of Valere, which could also cloak him

Book 3 : he is healed but now has holes in his memory - difficult to find him in dreams...