DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Costumes!

JenniferL

On 6/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, WhiteVeils said:

Cool video on reading hints from the costumes.

I love the video. Thanks for sharing this video link with us. I came here for help. I want to read business plan for boutique shop and I don't know where I can search for it online. Can anyone over here please help me in searching for it online? I will be thankful to you.

Yeah, I love the video.

Edited by RichardHofmann

• 3 weeks later...

Other observations I made about costumes that aren't in Lezbi Nerdy's videos:

1. Egwene's hair tie at the end of her braid is not just one color, there are multiple little ribbons for it.  Maybe one per ajah?

2. Tom's coat is corderoy and Pez calls this out as 'cloth of the king', pointing out that in clothing design it was originally used to dress the ruler or the rulers high servants to wear something less than velvet but still looking like velvet. She says this hints at a relationship between Tom and a king or queen.  The other person with any corderoy on is Mat, where it is the collar of his coat. This makes a visual tie between Mat and Thom and is a little foreshadowing of things to come.

3. Most costumes use the Asian asymmetrical collar, and following Eastern tradition the left half always overlays the right half. However, the only ones who have the right half overlaying the left half is The Dark One/Ishamael and Lews Therin.  Cause when we see them in the present time, they're long dead.

1 hour ago, WhiteVeils said:

Other observations I made about costumes that aren't in Lezbi Nerdy's videos:

1. Egwene's hair tie at the end of her braid is not just one color, there are multiple little ribbons for it.  Maybe one per ajah?

2. Tom's coat is corderoy and Pez calls this out as 'cloth of the king', pointing out that in clothing design it was originally used to dress the ruler or the rulers high servants to wear something less than velvet but still looking like velvet. She says this hints at a relationship between Tom and a king or queen.  The other person with any corderoy on is Mat, where it is the collar of his coat. This makes a visual tie between Mat and Thom and is a little foreshadowing of things to come.

3. Most costumes use the Asian asymmetrical collar, and following Eastern tradition the left half always overlays the right half. However, the only ones who have the right half overlaying the left half is The Dark One/Ishamael and Lews Therin.  Cause when we see them in the present time, they're long dead.

Thanks for the additional insights!  I have really enjoyed this videos as someone who often misses out on these tiny tiny details.

All of these hidden clues videos.  A lot of time, thought, and effort went into making the costumes - that many people will never notice.  Or perhaps they'll only notice a small percentage.  All these are great for folks that do a deep dive and watch scenes repeatedly, frame by frame...

But for those watching each episode once or twice at regular speed, most of this is lost.  The design effort was great but I think the resources could have been better spent.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:16 PM, DojoToad said:

All of these hidden clues videos.  A lot of time, thought, and effort went into making the costumes - that many people will never notice.  Or perhaps they'll only notice a small percentage.  All these are great for folks that do a deep dive and watch scenes repeatedly, frame by frame...

But for those watching each episode once or twice at regular speed, most of this is lost.  The design effort was great but I think the resources could have been better spent.

I'm not sure it works that way. You need costumes anyway, so you need a costume designer. Whether the costume designer decides to pay attention to the books and add in hints and foreshadowing isn't necessarily going to matter a lot money-wise. It's about whether or not you hired someone thoughtful with attention to detail or someone who'd rather do their own thing and not bother.

3 hours ago, Nik said:

I'm not sure it works that way. You need costumes anyway, so you need a costume designer. Whether the costume designer decides to pay attention to the books and add in hints and foreshadowing isn't necessarily going to matter a lot money-wise. It's about whether or not you hired someone thoughtful with attention to detail or someone who'd rather do their own thing and not bother.

The costume designer is working for Rafe. Did he tell the designer to make generic medieval/renaissance clothing or to spend a lot of effort (read: money) putting in a lot of Easter eggs that most viewers won’t see???

3 hours ago, DojoToad said:

The costume designer is working for Rafe. Did he tell the designer to make generic medieval/renaissance clothing or to spend a lot of effort (read: money) putting in a lot of Easter eggs that most viewers won’t see???

I don't think you understood my point. Costumes have to be made. That takes money and time regardless of whether they're made with some random design that has nothing to do with the books, or with a design that's meaningful. If they'd put a star design instead of a tree design on the Aiel armor, it wouldn't take less time. It would just be less relevant.

17 minutes ago, Nik said:

I don't think you understood my point. Costumes have to be made. That takes money and time regardless of whether they're made with some random design that has nothing to do with the books, or with a design that's meaningful. If they'd put a star design instead of a tree design on the Aiel armor, it wouldn't take less time. It would just be less relevant.

I think I missed something there.

Were there Aiel with armor in that video?

Cairhienin had a tree design on their uniforms (armor as well).  Aiel never wore armor.

4 minutes ago, Andra said:

I think I missed something there.

Were there Aiel with armor in that video?

Cairhienin had a tree design on their uniforms (armor as well).  Aiel never wore armor.

He is talking about the leather jerkins/straps the Aiel/Tigraine wear in season 1 and it continues for season 2.  And not just any tree design but Avendesora.

And are we actually complaining that the costuming department went above and beyond and included a bunch of world building and foreshadowing into their designs? 

The costuming was pretty great in season one and I love seeing videos like this pointing out the things I missed.

4 hours ago, Skipp said:

He is talking about the leather jerkins/straps the Aiel/Tigraine wear in season 1 and it continues for season 2.  And not just any tree design but Avendesora.

And are we actually complaining that the costuming department went above and beyond and included a bunch of world building and foreshadowing into their designs? 

The costuming was pretty great in season one and I love seeing videos like this pointing out the things I missed.

No, I was just questioning the single point about Aiel "armor."  

Which would contradict the books in a pretty fundamental way.

Though technically having all Aiel share a "national" symbol on their gear would contradict the books as well.  Since the Aiel didn't consider themselves to be a nation until Rand forged them into one.  They identified by clan, sept and society, not as a nation.

Skipp is correct, I'm talking about the leather *thing* they're wearing on top of their clothes. I called it armor because that's the word they were using to describe it in the videos shared in this thread. I don't know much about costuming but I'm assuming they mean soft armor (in the wider definition of "protective clothing") rather than the metallic stuff we traditionally expect when we think of the word "armor". 

Screenshot_20220724-081615_YouTube.jpg

Edited by Nik

11 hours ago, Andra said:

Though technically having all Aiel share a "national" symbol on their gear would contradict the books as well.  Since the Aiel didn't consider themselves to be a nation until Rand forged them into one.  They identified by clan, sept and society, not as a nation.

In the video they talk about how Tigraine's costume design is different from the dead Aiel's in episode 3 and they will probably have specific designs for each clan or society while all evoking tree motifs. It's not a national symbol. It's a design element that's meant to subtly tie them together. 

Here's the video again:

They start talking about Aiel at 9:15. It's kind of hard to discuss this if you haven't watched the video we're talking about, so I suggest if you'd like to discuss further, watch the video first. 

Edited by Nik

15 hours ago, Nik said:

Skipp is correct, I'm talking about the leather *thing* they're wearing on top of their clothes. I called it armor because that's the word they were using to describe it in the videos shared in this thread. I don't know much about costuming but I'm assuming they mean soft armor (in the wider definition of "protective clothing") rather than the metallic stuff we traditionally expect when we think of the word "armor". 

Screenshot_20220724-081615_YouTube.jpg

In the books, I believe it's just referred to as a "harness."

It holds a quiver for arrows, and allows them to secure their other weapons to leave thir hands free.  We frequently hear "so and so shoved their spears behind their harness" in order to do something.

15 hours ago, Nik said:

They start talking about Aiel at 9:15. It's kind of hard to discuss this if you haven't watched the video we're talking about, so I suggest if you'd like to discuss further, watch the video first. 

As I said, I was just questioning the point about "Aiel armor."  I apparently missed them using the term in the video.

Incidentally, the tree motif is something I missed when I watched the Blood Snow scene.  But I did notice the Nine Bees on the gear of the Illianers she was fighting.

Edited by Andra

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...