DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Costumes!

JenniferL

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/8/2022 at 9:17 PM, Jaysen Gore said:

Except purple and blue. Hence their expense.

Blue is, while labour intensive, absolutely possible to create with plants like woad and indigo - it requires a chemical reaction with ammonia and some time to rest but is absolutely within the budget of most people in Emond's Field - granted that they could source the plants. (woad is also a plant considered a weed, and grows fairly easily outside of tropical or desert climates)

15 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

I thought the ear cuff was in the 'special ornamentation' category of jewelry she keeps in her room in the tower or in her saddlebags...not something she would wear on the road. Gloves you wear when your hands are cold.  No one wears them all the time.

But these weren't the kind of gloves you would typically wear to keep your hands warm.  They are more like cycling gloves, or fingerless work gloves.  And she wears them pretty much all the time.

She took them off when preparing to take over her share of Logain's shield.  But had them on essentially every time we saw her hands prior to that.

2 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I have fingerless gloves.  I wear them to keep my fingers and hands warm when I write. They work well. Warmer blood in your palms warms up your fingers while leaving you the ability to type. I take them off when my office gets warm enough in the morning.

I think I'm going to steal this idea for typing at my computer. Thanks @WhiteVeils !

Does anyone else feel like the full color Aes Sedai costumes are a bit of a hammer blow?  Yes, there are strong factions in the Tower but how are they going to show the cold war after Elaida takes over if everyone is currently in full color.  Do they think the shawls alone would have been too subtle?

I think the full color costumes declaring Ajah work well for the show, because it lets everyone have very varied national costumes but tells the audience immediately what Ajah people are in.  They  can also have their 'ajah' known without necessarily being proven to be Aes Sedai.  Moiraine can wear blue, and we know it's her Ajah, as does everyone else, but there's nothing about wearing blue that means she has to be an Aes Sedai, so Valda couldn't grab her there (even if he had suspicions). A shawl is as strong an identifier as a ring, and is awkward to work into all the different costumes.   Showing the acceleration of the cold war later is not a big deal...frankly, I think in the show the cold war can be considered already well accelerated under Siuan.  

2 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

They  can also have their 'ajah' known without necessarily being proven to be Aes Sedai.  Moiraine can wear blue, and we know it's her Ajah, as does everyone else, but there's nothing about wearing blue that means she has to be an Aes Sedai, so Valda couldn't grab her there (even if he had suspicions)

I'd say it would be quite a bit more obvious.  How many folks in TV WOT are waling around in full red that aren't red ajah Aes Sedai?  In the books, most Aes Sedai don't wear their shawls unless they are in the tower.  Only a select few know Moraine is Aes Sedai in the books (other Aes Sedai and a few that she knows well).

6 hours ago, WhiteVeils said:

I have fingerless gloves.  I wear them to keep my fingers and hands warm when I write. They work well. Warmer blood in your palms warms up your fingers while leaving you the ability to type. I take them off when my office gets warm enough in the morning.

That could certainly be the point.

I suspect it's more likely just her version of riding gloves.  What's odd, if that's what they are, is that they leave unprotected substantial parts of her hands that you would normally want to be protected while handling reins.  Depending on her pose, they don't even extend as far as her knuckles, much less her fingers.

What made me notice them is that when she puts them on in her very first scene, I was reminded of the brace Eastwood wore on one hand in "For a Few Dollars More."  Just without extending as far down his wrist.

It's interesting that they are actually notable enough to be included in Cosplay costumes for her.

That's the gloves on the bottom left.

moiraine_the_wheel_of_time_halloween_cos

And what they look like on her vs. the costume:

1d446ef34acbde7727395d52dbbace2f_1024x10

Edited by Andra

17 hours ago, Andra said:

That could certainly be the point.

I suspect it's more likely just her version of riding gloves.  What's odd, if that's what they are, is that they leave unprotected substantial parts of her hands that you would normally want to be protected while handling reins.  Depending on her pose, they don't even extend as far as her knuckles, much less her fingers.

What made me notice them is that when she puts them on in her very first scene, I was reminded of the brace Eastwood wore on one hand in "For a Few Dollars More."  Just without extending as far down his wrist.

It's interesting that they are actually notable enough to be included in Cosplay costumes for her.

That's the gloves on the bottom left.

moiraine_the_wheel_of_time_halloween_cos

And what they look like on her vs. the costume:

1d446ef34acbde7727395d52dbbace2f_1024x10

I never did understand the shoulder pads???

2 hours ago, Andra said:

And I love that she's hanging with Uno.

He is her husband

They run a Prague theatre company together

ETA 

They are friends with 2 podcast hosts (Wheel Takes) who went to Northwestern Uni drama . Northwestern Uni send people to train with there company on release

They had their professor on talking about Guy

https://wheeltakes.buzzsprout.com/762050/9782518-wot-on-prime-s1e7-addendum-an-interview-with-linda-gates

Edited by Humbugged2
Added value

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I think that they paid a load of attention to detail in the costuming, and I do have like one complaint. Which would be that their clothes rarely get extremely dirty. Not saying they don't get dirty at all, just that it's a little too clean. I mean, for me, it was most notable in Rand and Moiraine's outfits. Moiraine's is a bit more excusable, cause you know, Aes Sedai (Even if she wouldn't just channel dirt away, cause she's not that type of person). But Rand's coat, in my opinion, is where it's most notable. It's soooo clean. Do I still love it, yes. Would I still wear it, yes. Do I want to snuggle up in it and read by the fire, tmi but still yes.

• 2 weeks later...

My complaint on costuming is that the Aes Sedai/Warders have costumes that match those of the country bumpkins from the Two Rivers.  Very similar quality.  I think that even if Two Rivers folk have quality and well kept clothing, they should still be several steps down from Aes Sedai/Warders/Royalty.  I don't see it.

45 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

My complaint on costuming is that the Aes Sedai/Warders have costumes that match those of the country bumpkins from the Two Rivers.  Very similar quality.  I think that even if Two Rivers folk have quality and well kept clothing, they should still be several steps down from Aes Sedai/Warders/Royalty.  I don't see it.

That's weird. To me the tailoring and style and fit of the Aes Sedai is very apparently much better than that of the Two Rivers folk.