DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Costumes!

JenniferL

4 hours ago, EmreY said:

Is there any part of the series you like?  Or do the winds seem to blow from the wrong direction and the water in the rivers reflect incorrectly?

I wrote that Moiraine and Lan costumes are very good.

But i find EF5 costumes average, whitecloacks and fal dara soldiers too fake-looking and Siuan's  formale dress not Great with that kind of ribbon 

Good:
Illianer armour.

Alanna's dress has some good points going for it ? 

Decent:
Cadin'sor. Not exactly gray and brown if I remember correctly but good enough.

Lame:
Tinkers. Too drab, what's up with that?
Shienaran soldiers would look good if it all wasn't so fake. Like a plastic knight set you got when you were a kid. And the one with his arms bared made it even worse. I'm wondering why the Illianers looked better.

Nope, nope, nope:
Sian Sanche's Amyrlin Seat dress (appears she only has the one?). Too much going on with it.

Moiraine's only dress. The shoulder pads. The goddamn shoulder pads.

Agelmar's birdsuit. KA-KAAAAaaaaaawww man, good thing you died.

Not a fan of the diaperpants.

So incredibly bad it leaves a bit of vomit in my mouth:
Whitecloaks.

Seanchan.

Everything else just wasn't memorable enough to comment on. Background stuff is background stuff.
Oh, and some stuff looked like you could buy it in a store but I guess you just don't have to look too closely.

2 hours ago, notpropaganda73 said:

It's a part of the show I think has been done really excellently to be honest. The only thing I've disliked is how clean their clothes were after being on the road for so long, but other than that I thought the actual design of nearly every costume was excellent. 

I want Rand's coat

I think I have a version of his coat. Just nicer, but it's not handmade, is it. ? That coat, btw, is extremely easy to clean and stays clean even when I go out in a blizzard, walking to work through Dutch snowdrifts ... which, admittedly, are not that intimidating ... or anything like a real snowdrift. But still! I shall have to take a picture of it.

6 hours ago, DaddyFinn said:

Aiel adapt cadin'sor to the surrounding vegetation, climate etc. so makes sense it has that dirty-white/brown/grey coloring in the Blood Snow.

I don't think an Aiel fighter would wear white............

On 1/8/2022 at 7:29 PM, Raal Gurniss said:

Makes you wonder where they would source the material in a remote village using pre-15th century tech which I suppose would be the show/book era equivalent…I mean the dyes alone would be a struggle.

Where is the 15th century coming from ? - RJ said late 17th without gunpowder

And they live on trade routes and people have beeen knocking out blue dye since the Torah and the Chinese since 200 bc

2 hours ago, Humbugged2 said:

Where is the 15th century coming from ? - RJ said late 17th without gunpowder

And they live on trade routes and people have beeen knocking out blue dye since the Torah and the Chinese since 200 bc

Two Rivers wool and tabac are known essentially continent wide. It's a remote, but it is hardly completely cut off from the rest of the world.

14 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Two Rivers wool and tabac are known essentially continent wide. It's a remote, but it is hardly completely cut off from the rest of the world.

Agreed, we get a young adults view of the TR.  To them it seems like no one ever leaves or no one comes to the town.  But we have proof from just the previous generation that Tam left and brought a Wife home with him.  He doesn't seem to be thought of has weird or strange by the rest of the community.

Aside from that they seem to have a somewhat steady stream of peddlars come to town in the non summer months, enough so that Master Luhan took a comission for an axe.

I thought the more costume-y costumes were fine (Aiel, Aes Sedai etc) 

I found the EF5 dress a bit distracting as others have pointed out - Egwene was wearing a coat for several episodes that looked like she git it off the rack at the mall 

I think overall this falls under the heading of - what did they spend the money on?? The costumes did not look like you’d expect on a multi million dollar series 

I thought the Aes Sedai and Emmonds Field costumes all looked good, as did Logain and his followers. The 2nd Age Costumes also looked appropriately futuristic. Not sure about the Whitecloaks. I could see the questioners maybe wearing robes like that but I'd expect the soldiers to be in armour. They also looked a little bit too white. I think it would be difficult to maintain a spotless white uniform when you are riding around on horseback and camping in the woods. I need to know what kind of soap they are using because it's obviously very effective. 

Edited by SingleMort

58 minutes ago, Rogue One said:

I thought the more costume-y costumes were fine (Aiel, Aes Sedai etc) 

I found the EF5 dress a bit distracting as others have pointed out - Egwene was wearing a coat for several episodes that looked like she git it off the rack at the mall 

I think overall this falls under the heading of - what did they spend the money on?? The costumes did not look like you’d expect on a multi million dollar series 

Daughter of the mayor . She was wearing on old tweed coat with sheepskin inside . In a town famous for it's wool . As was Rand  ,Mat looked like shit ,Perrin had a old coat and Nyn was also wearing sheepskin that at embroidered

What should they be wearing ? Tunics from 3 centurys ago

The only thing that really bugs me is the Whitecloaks. They don't exactly look like an imposing bunch with practically no armor. The sleeve guards look like plastic at times. They look more like some weirdly dressed boy band than a religious military order. 

I think a simple concept like white cloaks, chainmail, helmet, maybe plate for the leaders would have made them far more impressive. I really don't get what they were going for with those designs. I can't see a Jaret Byar wearing those.  

I agree with the thought that the costumes were mostly fine except the Whitecloaks. The design is okay for pure urban and garrison ops, but the rangers at least need to be dirtier. You need an entire support company with you for an active military unit living off the land to stay anywhere near that clean, and unless they never even trot the horses and they're just for show, they should be covered in dust from riding.

I liked everything else, though, even the Aes Sedai. Some of it is silly looking, but real world fashion is often equally silly. The bright colors and shoulder pads remind me of Claudia's 80's power businesswoman gear from Dark.

A test of how much they care about fidelity to books will come with the Cairhienin and Seanchan half-shaved heads, I think. On the one hand, it's a lot to ask actors to do that. On the other hand, looking at historical dramas like Vikings or Last of the Mohicans depicting real-world cultures with extreme hairstyles like that, they actually did it. Same thing with pointed beards. Game of Thrones was notable for dropping all the dyed and styled beards people were supposed to have to just make everyone look like a heavy metal concert. I'd like to see Wheel of Time stick with what the people are supposed to look like even when it's ridiculous.

I can appreciate people not like the way the Whitecloaks look because they very much don't look like they imagined but it seems everyone wants to them to look like generic Knights templar.

I think we got something unique in the way they are presented.  Something that perfectly gives off the zealotry vibe that the Whitecloaks represent in their modern incarnation.

I think the showrunners are purposefully are trying to make the show look more unique that the actual setting implies.  Knowing this it is perfectly fine to not like the design because it doesn't follow RJ's descriptions perfectly.

6 minutes ago, AdamA said:

I agree with the thought that the costumes were mostly fine except the Whitecloaks. The design is okay for pure urban and garrison ops, but the rangers at least need to be dirtier. You need an entire support company with you for an active military unit living off the land to stay anywhere near that clean, and unless they never even trot the horses and they're just for show, they should be covered in dust from riding.

Of note RJ always took a moment to mention that the Whitecloaks took the time to make certain their uniforms were very clean.

3 hours ago, Vartija said:

The only thing that really bugs me is the Whitecloaks. They don't exactly look like an imposing bunch with practically no armor. The sleeve guards look like plastic at times. They look more like some weirdly dressed boy band than a religious military order. 

I think a simple concept like white cloaks, chainmail, helmet, maybe plate for the leaders would have made them far more impressive. I really don't get what they were going for with those designs. I can't see a Jaret Byar wearing those.  

They only wore breastplates and helmets when the were fighting ,the Questioners not at all