DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Holiday Plans?

Ryrin

• Club Leader

We're all trying to recover from the cold that we all have at my house. We might bake some cookies or something if my daughter and I feel better. Christmas Eve we want to go to church if we're well, and Christmas Day is presents and dinner. We keep it low key. I hope to get a ham, but if not, I'll just make a family favorite called Cheeseburger pie. 

9 minutes ago, LilyElizabeth said:

We're all trying to recover from the cold that we all have at my house. We might bake some cookies or something if my daughter and I feel better. Christmas Eve we want to go to church if we're well, and Christmas Day is presents and dinner. We keep it low key. I hope to get a ham, but if not, I'll just make a family favorite called Cheeseburger pie. 

Do you have a recipe for the cheeseburger pie? It sounds like something we would enjoy.

We had a nice and relaxing Hanukkah. My youngest son and his girlfriend came over most days and we had a few friends over for dinner and presents on the 6th day 

• Club Leader
7 minutes ago, Ryrin said:

Do you have a recipe for the cheeseburger pie? It sounds like something we would enjoy.

We had a nice and relaxing Hanukkah. My youngest son and his girlfriend came over most days and we had a few friends over for dinner and presents on the 6th day 

I posted the recipe in the Gray Ajah.

I'm glad you had a nice Hanukkah. Family time is always precious.

• Club Leader

Silly me. I didn't realize you responded in the Kin. Here is the recipe again:

Cheeseburger Pie

2 pie crusts

1 lb. ground beef cooked and drained

3-5 potatoes peeled and diced

1 jar or can of beef gravy

8 oz shredded colby/jack cheese

Layer in the bottom crust:

Potatoes to cover the bottom

In any order (I do it differently every time)

ground beef

gravy

cheese

Top with upper crust. Slit top crust

Bake at 425 for 45 minutes. Check pie to see if you need to put foil over edges. Cook another 15 minutes until potatoes are soft. 

1 hour ago, Ryrin said:

Glad you had a good Hanukkah, Ryrin! 

That cheeseburger pie looks delicious, Lily! 

Things have just slowed down here (last weekend our SCA region became a Principality, this weekend our local event we were running became the site for the Princess's Rapier Championship Tournament on 6 days notice since we didn't even know who was going to BE Princess until last Saturday lol, and I did two original scrolls in there) so I am looking forward to a relaxed Christmas at home just me and the boys (my husband and my son), and our fur-babies. Though we will do some video-hangouts with family over the holiday while we're doing things like cooking because that way we can 'cook together' even in separate kitchens. It worked well last year! 

Christmas Eve is the easy meal (almost nothing that requires any kind of cooking, except Mom's Artichoke Dip, mostly it's veggies, cheese, summer sausage) and movies. This year we're watching The Polar Express, before the annual tradition of the Muppet Christmas Carol (every year since 1993!).

Christmas Day will be breakfast, then presents (I am the only person in my house who likes to get up 'early' on Christmas morning, alas), then enjoying any new movies/games we got until dinner. I've parred back the recipes for dinner a lot since it's only three of us, but we'll have roast goose, torta rustica, and I'm trying a couple of new recipes this year I found in an Irish Pub cookbook: salmon dill horseradish tartlets, and a lovely leek-and-potato soup. We'll also have a ham, because we like ham, and we can use it in other things for 'days' (I like to slow cook black-eyed peas with ham for New Years). 

Dessert is cookies. (Thanksgiving is our pie holiday, Christmas is our cookie holiday). So far this season I've already made Spiced Molasses Cookies and Butterscotch White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Then thanks to some cookie trading I have some delicious Chai Sugar Cookies with icing a friend made. I had other recipes planned but I think I will wait until we finish what we have left from the cookie table at the SCA event yesterday before making those! (I specifically made as many as I did because I gave 'most' of them away, keeping just a reasonable amount of each for three people. ?

2 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

Silly me. I didn't realize you responded in the Kin. Here is the recipe again:

Cheeseburger Pie

2 pie crusts

1 lb. ground beef cooked and drained

3-5 potatoes peeled and diced

1 jar or can of beef gravy

8 oz shredded colby/jack cheese

Layer in the bottom crust:

Potatoes to cover the bottom

In any order (I do it differently every time)

ground beef

gravy

cheese

Top with upper crust. Slit top crust

Bake at 425 for 45 minutes. Check pie to see if you need to put foil over edges. Cook another 15 minutes until potatoes are soft. 

That sounds really good! 

1 hour ago, LadyWordsmith said:

Glad you had a good Hanukkah, Ryrin! 

That cheeseburger pie looks delicious, Lily! 

Things have just slowed down here (last weekend our SCA region became a Principality, this weekend our local event we were running became the site for the Princess's Rapier Championship Tournament on 6 days notice since we didn't even know who was going to BE Princess until last Saturday lol, and I did two original scrolls in there) so I am looking forward to a relaxed Christmas at home just me and the boys (my husband and my son), and our fur-babies. Though we will do some video-hangouts with family over the holiday while we're doing things like cooking because that way we can 'cook together' even in separate kitchens. It worked well last year! 

Christmas Eve is the easy meal (almost nothing that requires any kind of cooking, except Mom's Artichoke Dip, mostly it's veggies, cheese, summer sausage) and movies. This year we're watching The Polar Express, before the annual tradition of the Muppet Christmas Carol (every year since 1993!).

Christmas Day will be breakfast, then presents (I am the only person in my house who likes to get up 'early' on Christmas morning, alas), then enjoying any new movies/games we got until dinner. I've parred back the recipes for dinner a lot since it's only three of us, but we'll have roast goose, torta rustica, and I'm trying a couple of new recipes this year I found in an Irish Pub cookbook: salmon dill horseradish tartlets, and a lovely leek-and-potato soup. We'll also have a ham, because we like ham, and we can use it in other things for 'days' (I like to slow cook black-eyed peas with ham for New Years). 

Dessert is cookies. (Thanksgiving is our pie holiday, Christmas is our cookie holiday). So far this season I've already made Spiced Molasses Cookies and Butterscotch White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies. Then thanks to some cookie trading I have some delicious Chai Sugar Cookies with icing a friend made. I had other recipes planned but I think I will wait until we finish what we have left from the cookie table at the SCA event yesterday before making those! (I specifically made as many as I did because I gave 'most' of them away, keeping just a reasonable amount of each for three people. ?

Lovely holiday plans! 

Yesterday I got together with friends and we baked, all day. We swapped cookies, candy, and fudge. 

We might go to the movies on a Christmas Day. 

16 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

It's our family's favorite meal. We make three pies at a time because just dinner is 1 1/2 pies, and then of course we want leftovers. It's better the second day!

I’ll bet it is. Leftovers often are.

22 hours ago, LilyElizabeth said:

It's our family's favorite meal. We make three pies at a time because just dinner is 1 1/2 pies, and then of course we want leftovers. It's better the second day!

Awesome! The best recipes are. ?  The Torta Rustica is our holiday pie and I always make two specifically because we will happily eat on it for days (it's almost entirely spinach and five different cheeses, and some sun-dried tomatoes). One slice makes a satisfying meal.