DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

7 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Come now….How about the more honest balanced reviews that rate the show for what it is? Mediocre at best? With positives and negatives!

What is your stance there? 

A review that rates the show as “mediocre” doesn’t sound balanced to me. 

The majority I have come across speak of the good and bad. Some conclude the show was great others it was bad. Most seem to agree that it was a solid though not spectacular first season but missed the mark in a number of areas (sound is a big one, pacing and writing).

10 hours ago, Strahor said:

It really is laughable how people are trying to defend bad writing and production, by saying that a character ''had more time''. Sure, more time means what, when you compare that with the storyline? Means nothing. Even in the episode 8, when we all ''knew'' that Rand is a ''Dragon Reborn'', we had no connection with him. So, when you're trying to defend a poorly written scenario, go from a point that Egwene or Moraine, had a lot more of interaction, based around the story, then Rand had. 

9 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

It's hilarious that despite him having more screen time then anyone else (according to this anyway) he's still one of the least developed characters there is and even stepin got more development. 

Like what did you do with all that time?

9 hours ago, Strahor said:

I'm finding it just sad, to be honest. There are a bunch of payed reviews, where people are applauding the changes, telling how ''first season had a better end then the end of the first book''. How? I knew that changes are coming and I did accept that. But, I didn't expect that writing will be so bad, that even if they form up a really good season 2, they would still need more time to repair the damage from the season 1. And seeing how Rosamund Pike is getting to be involved into the production and her character will be changed the most...I really don't expect much from a season 2.

I get it, you hate the show.  Who knows, after the second installment, I might hate it too.  Or I might love it.  I would like to be able to comment without being called laughable, hilarious or sad.

13 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

Come now….How about the more honest balanced reviews that rate the show for what it is? Mediocre at best? With positives and negatives!

What is your stance there? 

A review is a review.  No-one is under any obligation to give a good, bad or middling one; nor does a review become more honest because it agrees with one's views.

1 hour ago, Terry05 said:

A review that rates the show as “mediocre” doesn’t sound balanced to me. 

The majority I have come across speak of the good and bad. Some conclude the show was great others it was bad. Most seem to agree that it was a solid though not spectacular first season but missed the mark in a number of areas (sound is a big one, pacing and writing).

And there is the problem….

1 hour ago, EmreY said:

A review is a review.  No-one is under any obligation to give a good, bad or middling one; nor does a review become more honest because it agrees with one's views.

….The show is middling….WoT is not a massive trending hit, it’s just not…Nor is it as truly awful as some make out.

I don’t understand how some people refuse to acknowledge that! If you like it, excellent! I enjoy many mediocre shows, but I can accept they are at best mediocre all the same.

I mean you must believe WoT is an 8-10/10…I believe it’s a 4-7/10…

That the show is barely talked about and has substantial negative feedback, neutral feedback along with all the positive clearly indicates that at best the show is mediocre…Or do you believe it is going to sweep the board at the next awards ceremony? 

Take a step back, remove personal opinion and look at things objectively….I did and it boosted the rating I would have initially given the show…I am sure that those that are currently rating it so highly will do the same in reducing their score.

2 hours ago, EmreY said:

A review by definition is: a critical appraisal of a book, play, movie, exhibition, etc.

Key words are critical appraisal. You have to look at the good AND bad.

If I wasn't being objective I'd rate this show around a 3 or 4 tops. As is I put it more around 6 to 6.5.

Edited by Cauthonfan4

I honestly wonder what corners of the internet some people are looking at. Literally every bit of WoT content I've looked at has talked about how poor episode 8 is. And that includes certain prominent booktubers who were accused of being "Amazon shills" for going to the premiere in London. 

Is there a whole other part of the internet I'm not aware of, which is all rainbows and unicorns and grolms, talking about how wonderful everything is in the WoT television show and absolutely nothing is wrong with it? 

10 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

I honestly wonder what corners of the internet some people are looking at. Literally every bit of WoT content I've looked at has talked about how poor episode 8 is

Sarah nakamura literally defended episode 8.

10 minutes ago, notpropaganda73 said:

Is there a whole other part of the internet I'm not aware of, which is all rainbows and unicorns and grolms, talking about how wonderful everything is in the WoT television show and absolutely nothing is wrong with it?

Literally this site is full of people defending literally everything you could point out.

The writing has been defended. 

The lack of development of the men has been defended. 

The crappy lighting and outfits have been defended.

The super power ranger nynaeve has been defended.

Even "moiraine has a tell" was defended.

The changes to EF and the EF 5 have been defended.

The 4th Oath was defended.

The aes sedai bad politics were defended

Even making men incompetent has been defended. 

Edited by Cauthonfan4

5 minutes ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

Literally this site is full of people defending literally everything you could point out.

Even "moiraine has a tell" was defended

I forgot about Sarah's video, sorry. I was more thinking about reviews, podcasts, articles, that sort of thing. 

If you're using this forum as an indicator that fans of the show think everything is perfect, then we just read things differently. You could probably accuse me of "defending" all the things you've listed, but if you actually go through my posts, I'm really critical of a lot of parts of the show as well. We just have different perspectives. 

23 minutes ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

Nonono, don't try to turn the table. 

There isn't a single fan here who wouldn't acknowledge the problems with the show. I haven't seen anyone doing what you describe here. 

Sure, a lot of fans defend the show. We like it despote the limitations. And we can "defend" some of them, in a "here i see what they wanted to achieve, they missed the mark", "what they did here actually works", "this other thing is not a big deal". But literally nobody denies the show has weaknesses.

The bookcloaks, though? 

"The show is crap"

"The show is horrible"

"The show is appalling"

"The show is vomit inducing"

"They didn't get a single thing right"

"Everyone who says anything posite on the show is a fraud"

I can easily produce dozens of relevant quotes. Don't you try to pass the other people as the prejudiced ones

13 minutes ago, king of nowhere said:

There isn't a single fan here who wouldn't acknowledge the problems with the show

Funny because everything I just listed has been defended. So doesn't seem like acknowledgement to me. 

. And we can "defend" some of them, in a "here i see what they wanted to achieve, they missed the mark", "what they did here actually works", "this other thing is not a big deal". But literally nobody denies the show has weaknesses

And yet that's not what we're seeing. We point out rhe weak development of men and people are ready to sweep it under the rug. Poor lighting? Shitty aws sedai politics? Considered non issues by many of the defenders.

The bookcloaks, though? 

"The show is crap"

"The show is horrible"

"The show is appalling"

"Everyone who says anything posite on the show is a fraud

The people upset have also pointed out that it has its strong points. But I constantly see TV show fans defend even the dumbest changes. Like saying the magic system was changed for clarity.

If the magic system was changed for clarity they absolutely failed to clarify anything. If it wasn't changes then some dialogue options make zero sense. 

And yet I've seen people defend this. 

Don't you try to pass the other people as the prejudiced ones

Both are prejudiced.

Edited by Cauthonfan4

Guest Cranglevoid
6 hours ago, Terry05 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath ? person sounds like the type that any praise = paid for by Amazon while obviously the negative reviews are the only legitimate articles ?

5 hours ago, Terry05 said:

A review that rates the show as “mediocre” doesn’t sound balanced to me

This is absolutely hilarious. You accuse him of only thinking negative reviews are legitimate, and in the next breath, you say that a review calling the series mediocre likely isn't balanced, i.e. not legitimate.

Pot, meet kettle.

59 minutes ago, EmreY said:

A 7/10 for me.  I like some parts very much - often things that seem to have pissed people off ? - and the others are generally just meh.  Very few WTF moments for me.

And a 7 is mediocre…It is what it is and shouldn’t affect the personal enjoyment an individual gets from it..

Its just so weird that people have rated it so highly, it certainly doesn’t come anywhere near a 10 even a 9 would still  be way off….8 I could understand if people were being biased by their sheer enjoyment of the show…But it still would be too high….7 is about as high a score as it could be given what it is.

1 hour ago, Raal Gurniss said:

And a 7 is mediocre…It is what it is and shouldn’t affect the personal enjoyment an individual gets from it..

Its just so weird that people have rated it so highly, it certainly doesn’t come anywhere near a 10 even a 9 would still  be way off….8 I could understand if people were being biased by their sheer enjoyment of the show…But it still would be too high….7 is about as high a score as it could be given what it is.

Grading systems vary.  I am however glad you believe this series is mediocre; we are apparently not too far off in our estimations.

On another subject, a question to the mods and admins:

I realise that this is a multicultural forum, forms of address and opinion vary, and it appears that some people believe strongly enough that those who like the series are cartoon characters, shills, laughable, ridiculous and all the rest.  Not directly, just along the lines of "it's laughable that anyone should like this show".  Would it irk you too much if I responded in kind?  Because being two strikes from a permanent ban, I have to tread carefully.  I assume "it's laughable that anyone not like this show, and anyone who doesn't is a dunderhead" is OK?

6 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

I mean that's kinda the point of a nuanced discussion no? Weighing the pros and cons, what worked, what didn't. It's far more interesting to discuss the merit of various choices the show made than write the whole thing off.

Sure we could just go "It's all shit!". But that would be pretty damn boring. Besides you and plenty others who hate the show are still here discussing it with some who love it and what is probably the vast majority who are somewhere in the middle.

Edited by MasterAblar

6 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

Nonono, don't try to turn the table. 

There isn't a single fan here who wouldn't acknowledge the problems with the show. I haven't seen anyone doing what you describe here. 

Sure, a lot of fans defend the show. We like it despote the limitations. And we can "defend" some of them, in a "here i see what they wanted to achieve, they missed the mark", "what they did here actually works", "this other thing is not a big deal". But literally nobody denies the show has weaknesses.

The bookcloaks, though? 

"The show is crap"

"The show is horrible"

"The show is appalling"

"Everyone who says anything posite on the show is a fraud"

I can easily produce dozens of relevant quotes. Don't you try to pass the other people as the prejudiced ones

Yeah, this is completely false.  There are many defenders who defend everything, reflexively.  

Ralph, Terry, Jakita something or others, Daddy . . . 

Off the top of my head.  

There are two that have made somewhat even handed remarks, you and not propaganda.

There are a few “critics” who are pretty vehement, but they give reasons, and at a certain point the reasons add up.  What difference does it make if there is a good thing here or there, if the whole is such an act of violence?

But this is all question begging. 

3 minutes ago, Truthteller said:

Yeah, this is completely false.  There are many defenders who defend everything, reflexively.  

Ralph, Terry, Jakita something or others, Daddy . . . 

I don't like everything about the show. I try to think why those things are the way they are. I still love the first season.

I'm getting tired of this. It will soon be time for me to take a break from this forum and do something productive instead(I'll just waste the time with something else).

I wrote a bunch of other stuff but I don't want to descent to the level of some of the most vocal haters here. As I said in another thread: if you can't stay civil, don't say anything.

7 hours ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

Many of the people on Dragonmount that hated the show are no longer active here.

1 hour ago, MasterAblar said:

I mean that's kinda the point of a nuanced discussion no? Weighing the pros and cons, what worked, what didn't. It's far more interesting to discuss the merit of various choices the show made than write the whole thing off.

Sure we could just go "It's all shit!". But that would be pretty damn boring. Besides you and plenty others who hate the show are still here discussing it with some who love it and what is probably the vast majority who are somewhere in the middle.

…Have been attacked quite a number of times for suggesting the show is merely average, so the majority will have been scared away….The ones that dislike the show are likely just flabbergasted by those that have claimed the show is of the highest quality and is even far superior to the books.

6 minutes ago, Raal Gurniss said:

…Have been attacked quite a number of times for suggesting the show is merely average, so the majority will have been scared away….The ones that dislike the show are likely just flabbergasted by those that have claimed the show is of the highest quality and is even far superior to the books.

Other than a very few posters - I believe non-book-readers - who have stuck their head out from the trenches (and promptly run away), who has said the show is great?