DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

34 minutes ago, AdamA said:

I'm at about the point in re-read where Elayne is going over palace staffing with her chief accountant and Egwene is trying to figure out how to pay her army.

It makes me think of George Martin's quip about how he wanted his books to go beyond the typical "king is crowned and everything is good" ending to answer the question of what Aragorn's tax policy would have looked like, and this is reminding me that, while I appreciate the realism and attention to detail, tax policy really doesn't make for very interesting storytelling.

I dunno, I have always enjoyed Elayne's fight for Camelyn.  Yeah it certainly goes on for too long like several plot lines around those books.  But I enjoyed watching her surround herself with talent and out maneuver her political opponents.  I can certainly see why it is a drag for others but I am a crazy person who loves Faile's Shaido arc.

It is satisfying to see Elayne use the advice she had given to Rand so long ago.

Edited by Skipp

15 hours ago, Skipp said:

I dunno, I have always enjoyed Elayne's fight for Camelyn.  Yeah it certainly goes on for too long like several plot lines around those books.  But I enjoyed watching her surround herself with talent and out maneuver her political opponents.  I can certainly see why it is a drag for others but I am a crazy person who loves Faile's Shaido arc.

It is satisfying to see Elayne use the advice she had given to Rand so long ago.

I enjoyed some of it. I just don't think it needed to cover 4 books, 6 POVs or so?, and so many fine details of city management. The basic problem of Robert Jordan as a writer in a nutshell. Great stories with great characters, but he couldn't edit for shit and took everything to excess. You can skim 80% of that storyline and miss nothing that ends up mattering.

On 1/13/2022 at 5:35 AM, ArrylT said:

Our main cast, the Two River youths, are all ta’veren. They affect the Pattern around them. At one point in episode three, on the farm, I think I heard an audio cue kind of indicating Rand was affecting the Pattern. Is that accurate?

MS: We shouldn’t really say more, but yes, when the protagonists affect the world and do something, yes, there are some triggers in there that are reflective of the One Power at times. Shouldn’t really say more about where they are really. And there’s a balance as to how much we hear them. That was one of the tricky things in the mix with Doug Cooper, the mixer, and Chris Barwell, the picture editor, just trying to pick that point because you perhaps want it to be something someone notices on the second listen, as opposed to… You don’t want to lead the audience too early in the story. So, yeah, at certain points there are unexpected, unreal sounds that people may hear.

Interesting ?

So, as many are aware, apart from GOT, Wheel of Time gets compared and contrasted to Shannara Chronicles, Legend of the Seeker & the Witcher.   Any others?

Anyways I was curious, as it has been about a month since I last checked, and currently The Wheel of Time has 76 000 ratings.

Legend of the Seeker 34 000 (despite being around since 2008).

Shannara Chronicles has 58 000 

The Witcher has 433k currently.   I guess we'll see if in 18 months if The Wheel of Time can reach that.   Anybody know of a way to find out how many Witcher ratings were done only in 2019?

The Expanse has 135k (been on since 2015).

Hawkeye has 108k but interestingly enough, despite having 32k more ratings, only has 300 more 10/10 (while a lot less 1/10s).  Suggestive potentially that it has more broad appeal but less of a core fan base.

Agents of Shield (which some on this site seem to dislike because Rafe was involved) has 210k votes .

Chuck (the other show associated with Rafe Judkins) has 134k votes.

However in the end ratings doesnt always tell us viewership.   Here is Chucks US viewership

Season Timeslot (ET) Season premiere Season finale TV season Rank U.S. viewers
in millions
1 Monday 8:00 p.m. September 24, 2007 January 24, 2008 2007–2008 #65 8.68[24]
2 September 29, 2008 April 27, 2009 2008–2009 #71 7.36[25]
3 January 10, 2010 May 24, 2010 2009–2010 #82 5.99[26]
4 September 20, 2010 May 16, 2011 2010–2011 #101 5.58[27]
5 Friday 8:00 p.m. October 28, 2011 January 27, 2012 2011–2012 #138

4.25[28]

So despite an audience in the millions less than 200k of that audience has chosen to vote on IMDB for it.  

Edited by ArrylT

https://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/movies/the-wheel-of-time-review-a-ponderous-start-before-smooth-sailings/article38054449.ece

The Hindu gives Wheel of Time a Thumbs up.   This might not seem like much - but the Hindu is an english language newspaper in India with a likely larger subscription base than most US newspapers do in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_India_by_circulation

1.45 million subscribers at end of  2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_States

Only USA Today has a higher subscription rate at end of 2019

The production’s main hub of operations is Jordan Studios, a massive complex that Amazon built for the show in the Czech Republic city of Prague. Named after The Wheel of Time author Robert Jordan, the studio is 350,000 square feet and contains everything from a costuming department to stunt gyms to writing offices and “football-field-size” sound stages. 

Was the cost of that included in the budget for the whole first series? 

https://rationalnerd62.tumblr.com/post/673512984165908481/the-wheel-of-time-screentime-season-1

A complete breakdown of S1 screentime.  Breakdowns by character, gender & episode and so on.   Extremely detailed imho.  Links in the post to all data and episode by episode breakdowns.  

When viewing through the lens of all screen time given to all WoT characters - Stepin got less than 3%.

My favorite revelation:

• Rand is the top character for solo scenes and duo scenes. He had 10min more duo scenes than Moiraine, and 27min more than Egwene. While it’s okay to be disappointed by his development in the show, especially for those who love book tEotW Rand, it’s factually wrong to say he had no more development than, say, Stepin or another recurring/secondary character (which is an exaggeration I’ve been told quite a few times).

However it is true that Perrin had the least potential for development due to limited # of solo / duo type scenes.   Mat looks like he would have had top 5 screentime if he had not been written out of the last 2 episodes (mostly) due to what occurred.

48 minutes ago, ArrylT said:

https://rationalnerd62.tumblr.com/post/673512984165908481/the-wheel-of-time-screentime-season-1

A complete breakdown of S1 screentime.  Breakdowns by character, gender & episode and so on.   Extremely detailed imho.  Links in the post to all data and episode by episode breakdowns.  

When viewing through the lens of all screen time given to all WoT characters - Stepin got less than 3%.

My favorite revelation:

• Rand is the top character for solo scenes and duo scenes. He had 10min more duo scenes than Moiraine, and 27min more than Egwene. While it’s okay to be disappointed by his development in the show, especially for those who love book tEotW Rand, it’s factually wrong to say he had no more development than, say, Stepin or another recurring/secondary character (which is an exaggeration I’ve been told quite a few times).

However it is true that Perrin had the least potential for development due to limited # of solo / duo type scenes.   Mat looks like he would have had top 5 screentime if he had not been written out of the last 2 episodes (mostly) due to what occurred.

Verry useful, thanks.

5 hours ago, ArrylT said:

My favorite revelation:

So basically he had a lot of screen time where he did a bunch of nothing and/or supported other characters (hello Egwene).

6 hours ago, ArrylT said:

My favorite revelation:

It really is laughable how people are trying to defend bad writing and production, by saying that a character ''had more time''. Sure, more time means what, when you compare that with the storyline? Means nothing. Even in the episode 8, when we all ''knew'' that Rand is a ''Dragon Reborn'', we had no connection with him. So, when you're trying to defend a poorly written scenario, go from a point that Egwene or Moraine, had a lot more of interaction, based around the story, then Rand had. 

24 minutes ago, Strahor said:

It really is laughable how people are trying to defend bad writing and production, by saying that a character ''had more time''. Sure, more time means what, when you compare that with the storyline? Means nothing. Even in the episode 8, when we all ''knew'' that Rand is a ''Dragon Reborn'', we had no connection with him. So, when you're trying to defend a poorly written scenario, go from a point that Egwene or Moraine, had a lot more of interaction, based around the story, then Rand had

It's hilarious that despite him having more screen time then anyone else (according to this anyway) he's still one of the least developed characters there is and even stepin got more development. 

Like what did you do with all that time?

1 minute ago, Cauthonfan4 said:

It's hilarious that despite him having more screen time then anyone else (according to this anyway) he's still one of the least developed characters there is and even stepin got more development. 

Like what did you do with all that time?

I'm finding it just sad, to be honest. There are a bunch of payed reviews, where people are applauding the changes, telling how ''first season had a better end then the end of the first book''. How? I knew that changes are coming and I did accept that. But, I didn't expect that writing will be so bad, that even if they form up a really good season 2, they would still need more time to repair the damage from the season 1. And seeing how Rosamund Pike is getting to be involved into the production and her character will be changed the most...I really don't expect much from a season 2.

5 hours ago, Strahor said:

It really is laughable how people are trying to defend bad writing and production, by saying that a character ''had more time''. Sure, more time means what, when you compare that with the storyline? Means nothing. Even in the episode 8, when we all ''knew'' that Rand is a ''Dragon Reborn'', we had no connection with him. So, when you're trying to defend a poorly written scenario, go from a point that Egwene or Moraine, had a lot more of interaction, based around the story, then Rand had. 

Not sure how you got that inference from their work since I do not see any discussion about writing or production but it wont be the first or last time people interpret things differently. 

Edited by ArrylT

4 hours ago, Strahor said:

I'm finding it just sad, to be honest. There are a bunch of payed reviews, where people are applauding the changes, telling how ''first season had a better end then the end of the first book''. How? I knew that changes are coming and I did accept that. But, I didn't expect that writing will be so bad, that even if they form up a really good season 2, they would still need more time to repair the damage from the season 1. And seeing how Rosamund Pike is getting to be involved into the production and her character will be changed the most...I really don't expect much from a season 2.

I am always up for reading more WoT articles so please feel free to share all these articles you're talking about.  ?

4 hours ago, ArrylT said:

I am always up for reading more WoT articles so please feel free to share all these articles you're talking about.  ?

I wouldn't hold your breath ? person sounds like the type that any praise = paid for by Amazon while obviously the negative reviews are the only legitimate articles ?

Edited by Terry05

53 minutes ago, Terry05 said:

I wouldn't hold your breath ? person sounds like the type that any praise = paid for by Amazon while obviously the negative reviews are the only legitimate articles ?

Come now….How about the more honest balanced reviews that rate the show for what it is? Mediocre at best? With positives and negatives!

What is your stance there? 

Edited by Raal Gurniss