DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Interviews and News Articles

WhiteVeils

22 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

CGI, big name actors.

Edit. Marvel movies cost on average ~$200k according to google. If Loki has 8 episodes it's pretty consistent with that

$200m * I assume you mean. ?

Whatever amount of the budget they had to throw at the acting chops for WOT worked, whatever that amount was (better than some of these pricier shows IMO). I was really impressed with the acting talent in season 1. Is there a budget breakdown for WOT floating around anywhere?

1 hour ago, ArrylT said:

https://www.telltalesonline.com/34499/expensive-tv-shows/

Remember to include inflation when considering costs. Ex: 9 million in 2005-2007 is not 9 million today but more like 10.5-11 million.

16. Westworld

Per Episode: $10 Million

Source: Hollywood Reporter

15. Friends (tie)

Source: Finances Online

14. The Witcher (tie)

Source: Screenrant

13. The Get Down

Per Episode: $11 Million

Source: Deadline

12. Band of Brothers

Per Episode: $12 Million

11. ER

Per Episode: $13 Million

Source: Ninja Journalist

10. The Crown (tie)

Per Episode: $13 Million

Source: Market Watch

9. The Morning Show

Per Episode: $15 Million

Source: Business Insider

8. See (tie)

Source: Metro

7. Game of Thrones (tie)

Source: Vanity Fair

6. The Mandalorian (tie)

Source: Film Goblin

5. The Pacific

Per Episode: $20 Million

4. WandaVision

Per Episode: $25 Million 

Source: Me Aww

3. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (tie)

2. Loki (tie)

Source: Cheatsheet

1. Hawkeye (tie)

thanks a bunch for this!!

Looking at this list, I think the best comparison would be Band of Brothers at 12 million - 1 moderate named Star (Schwimmer vs Pike)  a big no-name cast (a couple dozen in each episode, and many many 1-2 episode actors) and a similar number of locations.  You can sub in the CGI magic versus practical FX budgets, but... WOT also had to:

- set up all of the new cultures and costumes (we all know N. Carolina, England, France, and Germany; US military wardrobe)

- set up all of the backstory of the world and the conflict (ditto)

- non-human interactive characters. (trollocs, fades, ogier, and wolves)

- a less complex story to try and introduce

- a pandemic to be accounted for

For this post, my objections to the show aren't how much was there, or what wasn't, or even the big  changes. It's all the little things that would not have impacted the above, but still moved the show further away from the books for what I currently see as no good reason.

Edited by Jaysen Gore

6 minutes ago, Owayn The Traveller said:

Wonder will their minds be blown by how better the books are ?

Aside from that just being a normal sentiment for people, I don't think others will find JUST tEotW vastly superior to the show.  Especially if the watched the show first.  Now I have no doubt that I will find the Book series as a whole will be better than the entire run of the show simply because I love the level of detail and lore in the books and we can't translate all of that to the show.

https://screenrant.com/wheel-of-time-best-hidden-details-easter-eggs/

I guess you can dislike screenrant but still like a screenrant article hehe

Although if you dislike the show and dislike screenrant this article wont change your mind.  

Reason 1 

Spoiler

Part of what makes The Wheel of Time such an appealing show is its ability to hide particular details that only gain meaning over time.

Reason 2

Spoiler

Since its premiere, Amazon’s The Wheel of Time has demonstrated that it has the makings of one of the biggest fantasy series events in the history of television.  There are many reasons that it has been so successful, but one has been that it manages to recreate a great deal of the meticulousness that made Robert Jordan’s novels so enduringly popular.

Edited by ArrylT

So I don’t think that last statement is *wrong*. But the details the show has chosen to emphasize are different than what we as readers emphasize when we read. Rather than trying to recreate everything exactly as described by Jordan, they instead looked at what they believe his intentions were are interpreted from that. There’s plenty of evidence that the show (I’m using that term instead of specifying an individual like Rafe or Sarah because production design is a team effort) has done a deep reading of the material and understands what they are doing. I don’t think it’s been 100% successful, but it’s not because they didn’t do their homework. 

On 1/9/2022 at 11:37 AM, ArrylT said:

https://www.thegamer.com/wheel-of-time-wrong/

Interesting article - basically my understanding is that he now feels like S1 of The Wheel of Time is an homage to LOTR.

Well the author is basically correct for TEOTW.  I always thought it was exactly that.  A story inspired by Fellowship of the Ring.  Of course there was no ring and most of the other plot details were different. Reminds me that Romeo and Juliet was inspired by the Greek story of Pyramus and Thisbe. If he thinks the two Amazon shows will have the same plot he should read both source materials.  The Amazon LOTR adaptation is the prequel as I understand it.  Let's hope they do better than the Jackson team did with the Hobbit.  The rest of the WoT is nothing like LOTR.  This interview is what gives the internet a bad rap.  

On 1/9/2022 at 11:43 AM, ArrylT said:

https://screenrant.com/wheel-of-time-best-hidden-details-easter-eggs/

I guess you can dislike screenrant but still like a screenrant article hehe

Although if you dislike the show and dislike screenrant this article wont change your mind.  

Reason 1 

Hide contents

Part of what makes The Wheel of Time such an appealing show is its ability to hide particular details that only gain meaning over time.

Reason 2

Hide contents

Since its premiere, Amazon’s The Wheel of Time has demonstrated that it has the makings of one of the biggest fantasy series events in the history of television.  There are many reasons that it has been so successful, but one has been that it manages to recreate a great deal of the meticulousness that made Robert Jordan’s novels so enduringly popular.

I have read several screen rant articles/reviews which seem to me to be authored by the Amazon PR team.  Of course what do I know.    We all have opinions and I certainly trust mine more than theirs.  I also very much appreciate the thoughtful, even handed analysis provided on this forum.  By the way my opinion is reason 2 is a joke.

18 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Solid interview. Thanks for sharing. I found this line to be particularly reassuring:

"It showed how an adaptation can successfully draw from the source material and at the same time give back to it."

--Ciaran Donnelly

On 1/9/2022 at 1:37 PM, ArrylT said:

https://www.thegamer.com/wheel-of-time-wrong/

Interesting article - basically my understanding is that he now feels like S1 of The Wheel of Time is an homage to LOTR.

I'm at about the point in re-read where Elayne is going over palace staffing with her chief accountant and Egwene is trying to figure out how to pay her army.

It makes me think of George Martin's quip about how he wanted his books to go beyond the typical "king is crowned and everything is good" ending to answer the question of what Aragorn's tax policy would have looked like, and this is reminding me that, while I appreciate the realism and attention to detail, tax policy really doesn't make for very interesting storytelling.

3 minutes ago, Terry05 said:

Not sure if this is the right place to post so mods please delete if it's not.

Balfe confirmed on Twitter that he is scoring season 2.

Isis did not return for costumes.

The music was wonderful. The costumes were gorgeous. This makes me happy and sad, because I would have loved to see more of BOTH of their works in this world going forward. Oh well.

5 minutes ago, VooDooNut said:

The music was wonderful. The costumes were gorgeous. This makes me happy and sad, because I would have loved to see more of BOTH of their works in this world going forward. Oh well.

Same here. I know there has been some criticism of the rings but I don't mind them ?‍♂️ I know when Amazon (finally) get merch sorted I'll be buying one.

In his initial comment. Balfe created a bit of anxiety as it sounded like a "loved being a part of Season 1 - goodbye". He clarified thankfully