DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Disaster at the end of the First Age

Asha'man Shar'aman

12 hours ago, DojoToad said:

Despite this being a work of fiction, I always liked thinking of the 3rd Age as downstream from us.

It's fun to pretend. ?

Considering I say Gawyn as Gwayn, I have to agree. Pretending is fun. 

Edited by Asha'man Shar'aman

• 1 month later...
On 9/27/2021 at 5:09 AM, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

I think RJ said at one point that there was a massive disaster at the end of the First Age, but I can’t find where he said that. Does anybody else remember this/know where I can find it or am I misremembering? Thanks. 

I dont remember clearly anything said about a disaster. But In the last meeting at Field of Merrilor everybody is against "Dragon's Peace" and Moraine says  "this age started with war it must be end by peace" not exatcly but something along those lines. The last war in third age is very minor compered to the war of power at the end of secon age and the breaking. That implies that "second age ended with war must be started with peace". If RJ says different i take back my case ?

On 9/27/2021 at 4:19 PM, SinisterDeath said:

Only thing I remember is that the One Power was discovered in the First Age, but I can't find anything on it right now.

I definitly remember Rand says to Loial in TGH One Power discovered at second age... That may be Rand's misinformation... I think the discovery of "one power" is the age changing event. It definitly a great change in every aspect of society especialy how much common it was in age of legends.  So you can say end of first age start of second age.

• Community Administrator
15 minutes ago, qlorin said:

I think the discovery of "one power" is the age changing event. It definitly a great change in every aspect of society especialy how much common it was in age of legends.  So you can say end of first age start of second age.

100% where I was going with that.
Discovering it... so... so much random destruction, experimentation, wars, and general weirdness before things finally settle down into the "age of legends".

On 9/30/2021 at 8:01 AM, DojoToad said:

Despite this being a work of fiction, I always liked thinking of the 3rd Age as downstream from us.

It's fun to pretend. ?

Well finding the Mercedes Benz logo in the museum supports this idea, but then it sounds like time is cyclical so it's hard to say when what occurred first.  

21 hours ago, Dedicated said:

OMG.. I just realized I've been misreading his name this entire time... I think I may have a mild form of dyslexia. 

You too?! Did you read it the same way I did? I misread it originally and only realized sometime around the Gathering Storm I think, thanks to the audiobook. I decided it wasn't worth changing it to the correct pronunciation. 

1 hour ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

You too?! Did you read it the same way I did? I misread it originally and only realized sometime around the Gathering Storm I think, thanks to the audiobook. I decided it wasn't worth changing it to the correct pronunciation. 

I've be reading it as "Gah-wayne" smh... "Gah-win" makes much more sense now. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/3/2021 at 1:15 PM, Dedicated said:

I've be reading it as "Gah-wayne" smh... "Gah-win" makes much more sense now. 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:58 AM, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

I suppose we'll both enjoy being wrong then! Pronunciations are hard...

Considering how much RJ uses Arthurian legend as a source, that pronunciation is perfectly understandable.  As would adding an additional "ah" (or is it "ha"?) in the middle of his brother's name.

?

• 2 weeks later...

Since I LOVE forbidden archaeology, I am obsessed with first age, second age, third age...so on. I believe Jordan (Quigley) was as well. It is just amazing how he incorporates our history into the series. I connect all the dots. And it blows my mind how we currently have amnesia to what happened before the great flood. The multitude of stone works and metropolises in the ocean that pre-date 12,000 years. As I read this series, I pick up that he was reading and exploring the same ideas I was. When I attend my son's wedding in Charleston, I plan to send his wife a bouquet of flowers with a simple note. I think Bob would appreciate the gesture.