DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chitter Chatter Fall-Winter Edition (2021)

Ryrin

I am looking forward to the temperature staying below 90 degrees. (We aren't there yet, but this week it dropped into the 70s and 80s for a solid three days. Now going back to the 90s....sigh). So we went out and enjoyed a lovely nature park in the area we hadn't been to before. Happened across a film set by total coincidence. ? So that was fun. 

Also looking forward to hopefully getting to have field trips for our school. I already had to move our September plans to October because people higher-up than our Principal said "NOTHING IN SEPTEMBER." Sigh... we are pushing back on October. Everything we're planning is virtual or outdoors where people can mask and distance properly. 

I'm glad you had fun with your sister! 

My son got to attend a friend's sleepover birthday party last weekend (all parties are vaccinated), and they all stayed up until 7am video gaming and eating ice cream. 

Kitten training goes apace. Got through an entire evening of painting without either small kitten causing problems! 

I loved field trips when I was in school. 

When my sister was here we tried to go to the forest but it was closed due to the fires. We went to the lake and to the coast. She made a delicious quiche and coconut pie. We went out to eat and the movies. Sadly, when she got home she had to euthanize one of her dogs. 

That sounds like a lovely visit, and tasty food. I am so sorry about your sister's dog! That is one of the hardest things. 

Our very elderly large dog, Xena, is having back issues. Thankfully she doesn't seem to be in much pain, and is on very good medication from our vet, but she's not able to 'feel' her back end much right now. My husband has already been looking into DIY dog wheelchairs in case she does not regain the ability to feel her back legs. 'Best' case scenario, the anti-inflammatories help her long enough for it to heal (if it is a slipped disc. We can't afford an MRI to see if it's a disc or a tumor, unfortunately) Her bloodwork was great and she is otherwise in perfect health, so we are hopeful, but good thoughts and prayers from anyone would be appreciated.

Definitely prayers for your Xena.

My birthday is tomorrow. I’m getting an E-bike from my husband. It’s on order as well as some accessories. My husband wants me to be able to go up hills with him. Plus, I have tears in my meniscus. Both sides and an achilles problem not to mention needing surgery for carpal tunnel on both wrists. So, I’m very excited for that.

I love football so tomorrow my youngest son is coming over and we’re ordering food.

On October 7th my oldest son and his fiancé are flying in to celebrate both my and my husband’s birthdays. They are taking us out to dinner and we already have reservations.

After that excitement, I’m looking forward to Fall, my favorite season. Chanukah is right after Thanksgiving so the busyness will start again. I also help my best friend decorate her tree and we do Christmas baking after that.

What are you looking forward to?

Well, on top of the items listed in my first post, I'm looking forward to doing NaNoWriMo this year without having to move in the middle of November. Writing is much better when there's enough time! 

I am also looking forward to cooking Thanksgiving Dinner this year. Last year we spent the three days before Thanksgiving, and Thanksgiving day, moving boxes in-and-out of a Uhaul (it took four moves with the Uhaul we had) and nearly broke the whole family, even the teenager. 

We stopped at a gas station and got Arbuckle Mountain Fried Pies (which are basically large hand/pocket pies) for Thanksgiving on our way back to the house with the last load on Thanksgiving afternoon. They are, at the least, delicious. ? Though it will be nice to make an actual holiday meal this year and not be hauling boxes. 

• Club Leader

I usually cook for Thanksgiving, so that's probably what I'm doing. I am looking forward to the break between semesters and doing all the Christmas baking and decorating. We'll do whatever my daughter wants to do, because for me, it's all about being with my family. She's the one who cares about the vision. 

But first, Halloween! It's my little grandson's first Halloween. He has a little Woody costume (well, it's pajamas, but same diff...) and his big brother has a Buzz Lightyear costume. They are going to be adorable! I'm not sure if we're doing trunk-or-treats or walking the neighborhood, or both. That's my daughter's department. I just walk with them. 

That sounds so fun, Lily! I hope they have a great Halloween. ? I have no idea what we are doing for it yet other than the city has announced Trick or Treating will be observed 'on' Halloween night since it's on the weekend. Usually we watch It's The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, if we are actually home (which I am assuming we will be). For years we were never home on Halloween due to the Anime Convention we were running that often overlapped it (which is pretty much giant Halloween anyway ? ). There are a lot of younger kids on our new street though, so I might bother to buy candy and trick-or-treat items for anyone who comes to our door. Two years ago I got glow-bracelets to give out too, and those were even more popular than the candy. 

• 1 month later...

Happy Halloween/All Hallow's Eve/Samhain! I hope everyone is having a good time. 

We had a themed shoot at archery and thrown weapons practice today. A friend drew up a bunch of fun targets (giant spider, bats, pumpkin-on-a-skull ala William Tell, some medieval illuminated ghouly things)... 

Now we're home for the trick-or-treaters. So far I've only had three groups in the past two hours, but they have been having a good time and were very well mannered. ? I'm glad anyone's come by. I figured with the swarm of kids on this street we might meet more of the neighbors but so far not really. 

• 4 weeks later...

Good! As far as the holiday itself. We stayed home and had a relaxing day with delicious food. My husband did a roast duck (wrapped in bacon), and we did southern green beans, waldorf salad, mashed potato bar (sweet and regular), and I made a pecan pie cheesecake, and a spiced apple streusel pie. We watched the whole parade (One of the high schools not far from us was in it! Of course they played 'Oklahoma'), the dog show, and then binged watched the new season of Masters of the Universe: Revelation as a family. I had a nice long chat with my folks on the phone, and also with my Uncle who lives in New York. I also got started on a very special scribal commission for our upcoming Coronet tournament (we are becoming a Principality so this is the FIRST Coronet tournament!), while on an evening group chat. 

Complicated, in that we had an electrician out to look at an outlet we were having trouble with, and the initial house inspection (they do a full house inspection-no charge- the first time they come out to a house so they know what the whole situation looks like) uncovered a BUNCH of stuff that the house inspector when we bought the place probably never even realized was NOT okay. (All stuff that is 'grandfathered in' to be legal, but is dangerous/very much not okay if you actually know electrical). So our house electrical system is getting a complete overhaul today (new Breaker Box completely, also being moved to a better location, GROUNDING (the house wasn't grounded?!), Surge Protection, and replacing every single outlet and switch in the house because the ones they have haven't been legal to install since the 80s.). So today I will be without power completely for a few hours this morning (on the coldest morning we've had) while that gets done. At least most of the house will have power once the box is replaced. 

How was yours? 

• Club Leader

My Thanksgiving was filled with family time and delicious food. We tried to play some board games, but that didn't quite work out. For some odd reason, I threw my dinner up and then fell in the gravel yard taking that trash bag out. That's my second fall within the same week. My poor knees! Other than that, it was a wonderful day at our house.

I’ve been thinking about making a Waldorf salad! My husband used to go duck hunting and that sounds delicious!

My husband smoked the turkey and made mashed potatoes. Pies were from Costco. I made the sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, and stuffing. 

My youngest son and his girlfriend came over. He had gotten off work that morning at 8am. He’d been

up all night at a structure fire.

We love football so that was the activity of the day. The Raiders beat the Cowboys! 

Mmmm smoked turkey is lovely too! I'm glad you were able to have family over. And it is always a good day when 'anyone' beats the Cowboys. (Tonight is Bedlam in Oklahoma and I'm so glad I no longer live in a college town or I'd have been hiding indoors today to avoid the crowds). 

I got our holiday decorations up this evening (finally). All of our electric has been upgraded (it only took them about 20 hours worth of work over three days, and they were working at a fairly brisk pace). 

• Ryrin changed the title to Chitter Chatter Fall-Winter Edition (2021)
On 12/28/2021 at 9:23 PM, LadyWordsmith said:

Oh those look delicious! I love fresh fish. I hope something wonderful is being made with them. ?

Does anyone have fun plans for New Years? We have friends coming over (one family) for geeky board games and food. ? 

We are going out to dinner with my youngest son and his girlfriend. Then they are going to hang at their house with some friends. We are going back home for movies and drinks. We were supposed to have another couple join us but they are sick with colds. We have a standing date with then for dinner and a movie on New Year’s Eve.

I love board games! I’ll post later about the new games I’ve gotten. I’m going to start hosting a game group. 

• Club Leader
16 hours ago, Ryrin said:

We are going out to dinner with my youngest son and his girlfriend. Then they are going to hang at their house with some friends. We are going back home for movies and drinks. We were supposed to have another couple join us but they are sick with colds. We have a standing date with then for dinner and a movie on New Year’s Eve.

I love board games! I’ll post later about the new games I’ve gotten. I’m going to start hosting a game group. 

I'd love to hear what you have. Another game we recently purchased is Call To Adventure. It's fun.