DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

All this talk about movies/tv series has got me in the mood

to come up with a cast list. I know this has been done before but the last one was lost in the great server crash so I wanted to see if I could get it going again. Anyway here's what I've come up with. Opinions please, tell me what you like and don't like I always appriciate input.

THE GOOD GUYS:

Rand: Daniel Cudmore (X-Men)

Mat: Josh Holloway (Lost)

Perrin: Tom Welling (Smallville)

Egwene: Mila Kunis (That 70's Show)

Nynaeve: Leah Remini (King of Queens)

Moiraine: Emma Thompson (Sense and Sensibility)

Lan: Hugh Jackman (X-Men)

Thom: Sir Ian McKellen (Lord of the Rings)

Loial: Chriss Klien (American Pie)

Elayne: Kirsten Dunst (Spiderman)

Min: Natalie Portman (Star Wars)

Aviendha: Kaylee DeFur (The War at Home)

Suian: Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

Leane: Lucy Liu (Charlie's Angels)

Verin: Jane Leeves (Fraiser)

Cadsuane: Anjelica Houston (Ever After)

Gawyn: Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribean)

Galad: Jason Lewis (Sex and the City)

Logain: Christian Bale (Batman Begins)

Noal: Sean Connary (James Bond)

Bayle Domon: John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Arc)

Tuon: Joy Bryant (ER)

Vanin: Michael G. Hagertly (Wayne's World)

Mattan Stephanos: Brian Doyle-Murray (Christmas Vacation)

Basel Gill: Kevin McNally (Pirates of the Caribean)

Lamgwin: Batista (WWE)

Bawler: Wallace Shawn (The Princess Bride)

Berelain: Shannon Elizabeth (American Pie)

THE BAD GUYS:

Paden Fain: Christopher Walken (The Prophecy)

Ishamael: Ian McDiarmid (Star Wars)

Moridin: Michael Wincott (The Crow)

Lanfear: Demi Moore (A Few Good Men)

Cyndane: Christina Ricci (Speepy Hollow)

Asmodean: Allen Rickman (Harry Potter)

Graendel: Megyn Price (Grounded For Life)

Sammael: Kenneth Branagh (Frankenstein)

Be'lal: Christopher Lee (Star Wars)

Mesanna: Gates McFadden (Star Trek TNG)

Aginor: Kurtwood Smith (That 70's Show)

Semirhage: Valarie Pettiford (Glitter)

Osan'gar: William Defoe (Spiderman)

Aran'gar: Angalina Jolie (Tomb Raider)

Elaida: Glenn Close (Dangerous Liaisons)

Liandrin: Portia deRosi (Arested Development)

Mesema/The Prophet: Steve Bushemi (Fargo)

Balthamel: Leopoled Boothe

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

I think you have a good list. i have to say i don't recognize quite a few, but thats because i don't fay much attention to hollywood. the ones that i do recognize sound like they would fit very well. all you have to do is convince a company to do the first movie of all time with a one billion dollar budget or more! :D :lol:

the ones that i do recognize sound like they would fit very well

Really, thanks :D So which ones would those be?

all you have to do is convince a company to do the first movie of all time with a one billion dollar budget or more! :D :lol:

That's a very good point :lol: I understand that for finantial as well as artistic reasons some parts would have to be given to unknown actors, but casting a bunch of unknowns is no fun. This is more of a fantasy cast. No program in the NFL could afford my fantasy football team either but its still fun to play.

Guest LurkingFadeFetcher

the ones I recognize are:

Lan: Hugh Jackman (X-Men)

Thom: Sir Ian McKellen (Lord of the Rings)

Elayne: Kirsten Dunst (Spiderman)

Min: Natalie Portman (Star Wars)

Suian: Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

Gawyn: Orlando Bloom (Pirates of the Caribean)

Logain: Christian Bale (Batman Begins)

Noal: Sean Connary (James Bond)

Bayle Domon: John Rhys-Davies (Raiders of the Lost Arc)

Ishamael: Ian McDiarmid (Star Wars)

Be'lal: Christopher Lee (Star Wars)

Mesanna: Gates McFadden (Star Trek TNG)

Osan'gar: William Defoe (Spiderman)

Aran'gar: Angalina Jolie (Tomb Raider)

Elaida: Glenn Close (Dangerous Liaisons)

Liandrin: Portia deRosi (Arested Development)

thats the list, I think the best choices are Christian Bale and Ian McDiarmid. Bale was fantastic in both Batman Begins and the Prestige. And I don't think anyone could disagree with McDiarmid's portrayal of Emperor Palpatine. :twisted:

Cast lists have always been a favorite of mine :D

I agree with Hugh Jackman for Lan.

Can't agree with Kirsten Dunst for Elayne. She's cute. She's not beautiful and she's not regal.

Natalie Portman is getting nowhere near my movie. :P

Emma Thompson would be better as Suian IMO than Moiraine. Reese Whitherspoon as Suian? I don't see it. I like Connie Neilsen (Gladiator) for Moiraine and Jodie Foster for Suian because of those piercing eyes of hers.

I think Orlando Bloom would make a better Galad. The whole almost too pretty for a man thing.

I like Christopher Walken for Fain. Willem Defoe would be good as well.

John Rhys-Davies is good but I don't get the impression that Bayle Domon is that old.

Glenn Close might make a good Cadsuane. Meryl Streep is my personal choice for her though. Anjelica Houston's not a bad choice though. I could live with her.

Allan Rickman is definitely Asmodean.

I like David Wenham for Sammael. He's got the right coloring naturally and well...I like him :P Oh and Sammael is not short and stocky like everyone keeps saying. Several places it's stated right out, "not short" or "slightly taller than average". He's just not as tall as he wants to be.

Angelina Jolie as Aran'gar is perfect also. If any woman looks like she was designed by a man...

Beckon, thanks for you reply.

I agree with Hugh Jackman for Lan.

Glad you think so. I don't see how anyone could choose anyone else, but if you check www.wotmania.com you'll see some odd choices including Bruce Willis (gasp).

Can't agree with Kirsten Dunst for Elayne. She's cute. She's not beautiful and she's not regal.

I get alot of that but I honestly think she is grossly underrated as an actress. She has kind of hurt her image by taking silly roles in movies like "Drop Dead Georgeous," "Dyck" and (groan) "Bring It On." However, her early work is movies like "Interview with the Vampire" and "Little Women" was brilliant. I do have my concerns about the regal thing, I plan on watching "Marie Antonette" one of these days and if she pulls off that role then regal should be no problem.

Natalie Portman is getting nowhere near my movie.

Objection noted :lol:

Emma Thompson would be better as Suian IMO than Moiraine. Reese Whitherspoon as Suian? I don't see it. I like Connie Neilsen (Gladiator) for Moiraine and Jodie Foster for Suian because of those piercing eyes of hers.

Yah, my origional thoughts on Emma Thompson were that she would make a great Suian. And while I still think she would be great as pre-stilling Suian I don't see her as post-stilling Suian. My impression is the post-stilling Suian is suposed look young and ridiculously cute. Thus, I thougth to myself who fits that image but can also do a serious role and Reese immediatly came to mind alla her preformance in "Walk the Line." BTW: Back when "Legally Blond" was her biggest thing I never would have considered her but she really proved herself in WtL. Makeup will have to take care of her pre-stilling time. Would be interesting to see Reese made up to look "Handsome rather than pretty."

I think Orlando Bloom would make a better Galad. The whole almost too pretty for a man thing.

Yah, I could see that. His naturally colloring is more that of Gawyn but I do see the "pretty for a man" thing. Apply some dark hair dye and he would a right find little Galad.

I like Christopher Walken for Fain. Willem Defoe would be good as well.

Yep, those are my top two choices. In the end I had to give Walken the edge. I mean he's tall, lanky and creepy as hell. What more could you ask in a Paden Fain.

John Rhys-Davies is good but I don't get the impression that Bayle Domon is that old.

Really, I see him as being in his early 40's. Not sure exactlly how old JR-D is but I think he can pull that off.

Glenn Close might make a good Cadsuane. Meryl Streep is my personal choice for her though. Anjelica Houston's not a bad choice though. I could live with her.

Again I agree. For this list I went with Close as Elaida and Houston as Cadsuane but I could definitly see them going vice versa on those roles. Either way would work for me. I also agree that Meryl Steep would be a good choice as well.

Allan Rickman is definitely Asmodean.

Glad you think so. Of all the names on my list this casting is my favorite. Long before Harry Potter was even thought of I pictured Asmo having a demenor just like what Rickman portrays as Severus Snape.

I like David Wenham for Sammael. He's got the right coloring naturally and well...I like him Oh and Sammael is not short and stocky like everyone keeps saying. Several places it's stated right out, "not short" or "slightly taller than average". He's just not as tall as he wants to be.

Hmmm I don't know who at is. I'll have to google him.

Angelina Jolie as Aran'gar is perfect also. If any woman looks like she was designed by a man...

heh heh, my thinking exactlly :lol:

I you have a cast listing of your own please share it. I'd love to peruse it and give some feedback.

Hmmm I don't know who at is. I'll have to google him

David Wenham = Faramir in LotR

Also I don't really doubt Kersten's acting ability, I just think she's more cute than beautiful. It's a look thing rather than an ability thing for her. Just my opinion though.

Another thing I thought of is Anjelica Houston for Elaida. She has a rather severe look.

Oh and good point about Suian...I had a thought while watching Blood Diamond...Jennifer Conelly. I think she's quite pretty and has that piercing gaze thing about her too. I still don't see Reese. I like her but she just doesn't say Suian to me.

And one last thing.. Orly Bloom has naturally brown hair. He certainly has the skin tone to pull off Gawyn's strawberry blond though as evidenced by Legolas.

I keep meaning to put a full list together, maybe I will. :)

Hm. Hm hm hm.

Daniel Cudmore as Rand? I might be less apprehensive if I'd ever seen him with more than one line. Or perhaps I'd then be more apprehensive.

Tom Welling as Perrin.. he's got near the build, and the look, plus he doesn't look *quite* too old for the role yet. But his acting is still kind of weak.

Leah Remini. No. No. No.

I really like Angelica Huston as Cadsuane. Judi Dench (the popular choice) never really strikes me for that role. Dench for Verin!

Why not Hugh Jackman as Lan, hmm.. how about because even playing gruff snarly man's man Wolverine he managed to come off slightly Broadway?

I never expected anyone to suggest Jennifer Connelly as anyone! I want her as Lanfear. Angelina Jolie is hot. Jennifer Connelly is beautiful. There IS a difference. I've been in love with her since Labyrinth.

I'm the one person apparently who doesn't want Ian McKellen anywhere near the role of Thom. I get him as more of a burned-out ex-rock star. For a while I was thinking someone like Billy Bob Thornton, but he's getting too pigeonholed lately.

A few little suggestions of mine own:

Kristen Bell as Min.

Gina McKee as Moghedien. (she was in MirrorMask)

What's the big deal about hair color, anyway? I'll point out again that not a single person in LotR had their own hair visible on camera.

Hm. Hm hm hm.

Daniel Cudmore as Rand? I might be less apprehensive if I'd ever seen him with more than one line. Or perhaps I'd then be more apprehensive.

Good point. I guess I just felt like taking a risk on an unknown.

Tom Welling as Perrin.. he's got near the build, and the look, plus he doesn't look *quite* too old for the role yet. But his acting is still kind of weak.

Gotta disagree, I think his acting is fine.

Leah Remini. No. No. No.

Why not not not? With her short stature and dark features she certainly has the look. Moreover, in every role I've ever seen her play she pretty much acted like Nynaeve. She may not have alot of range but the range she does have just happens to fit Nynaeve :D

I really like Angelica Huston as Cadsuane. Judi Dench (the popular choice) never really strikes me for that role.

I don't get the Dench thing either.

Dench for Verin!

mmmmm well maybe.

Why not Hugh Jackman as Lan, hmm.. how about because even playing gruff snarly man's man Wolverine he managed to come off slightly Broadway?

You think so? I don't see the Broadway thing, I thought he was great a Wolverine. To each his own I guess.

I never expected anyone to suggest Jennifer Connelly as anyone! I want her as Lanfear. Angelina Jolie is hot. Jennifer Connelly is beautiful. There IS a difference. I've been in love with her since Labyrinth.

I never expected it either but I certainly like the idea. I've also been a big fan ever since Labyrinth. I've still got my heart set of Demi Moore for Lanfear, I mean she's a good looking middle aged gal whose just a bit psychotic so playing Lanfear wouldn't be much of a stretch. I do think Conelley would make a great Suian. Only draw back is now I gotta find another role for Reese Witherspoon (I want her in this movie!)

I'm the one person apparently who doesn't want Ian McKellen anywhere near the role of Thom. I get him as more of a burned-out ex-rock star. For a while I was thinking someone like Billy Bob Thornton, but he's getting too pigeonholed lately.

Sorry to say it but I'm about as fond of Billy Bob Throton as Thom as you are of Leah Remini as Nynaeve.

A few little suggestions of mine own:

Kristen Bell as Min.

yah, I could see it.

Gina McKee as Moghedien. (she was in MirrorMask)

Now this I really like.

What's the big deal about hair color, anyway? I'll point out again that not a single person in LotR had their own hair visible on camera.

I don't know, I guess when making movies I just perfer that they cheat as little as possible. I much perfer that they keep them looking like themselves as much as possible. If you noticed I don't even want a CGI Loial. I'd much perfer a human in makeup and/or prostetics maybe with some CGI enhancements (particularly to make him look bigger).

Oh I liked Jackman as Wolverine just fine, but he did have moments where I thought he might sing and dance. At least Wolverine had sarcasm to channel that into.

And not Thornton specifically, but I'd lean more in that direction than McKellen. Just because you have an older male character, it doesn't need to be between him, Chris Lee, and Sean Connery. I'll come up with someone eventually.

Leah Remini is awfully old for Nynaeve, for starters, and second, all I've ever seen her in is King of Queens, which requires her to serve as a comedic foil to Kevin James. Not the best to go by.

Trust me on Dench. Giving her an occasionally crafty, occasionally comedic character like Verin caters to all her strengths.

And no, I think I missed where you wanted a non-cgi Loial. I mentioned somewhere I'd like to see what the Henson workshop could do with him. They haven't done anything on his scale (to my knowledge) since Ludo and Sweetums. Goro wasn't half bad, and they weren't responsible for him. I think.

Oh, and I object to the objection against Natalie Portman

I object to your objection to my objection! I'm sure I'm being unreasonable but I felt she did a worse job with the horrible writing in the Star Wars Prequelogy than Hayden Christensen did. I just don't like her while Min is one of my favorite characters. I've never been able to cast Min to my satisfaction. I looked up Kristen Bell and I guess I could live with her. She has a down to earth look about her that fits Min.

I've always been one of those Dench for Cadsuane people but I see your point about the comedy. I still like Kathy Bates for Verin for sort of the same reasons Reyler likes Dench for her. I could live with Dench.

Jennifer Conelly would be good as Lanfear, I wouldn't mind that. Leopolde brought up the point that Suian has to be young and pretty after the stilling and then I was watching Blood Diamond and thought she could pull off that pin you to the wall with her eyes thing that Suian does. And no need to make her wear contacts. :P

Hmmm you don't like Ian McKellan but you thought of Billy Bob Thornton? I spose he has been rather typecast...and I don't think it's a bad idea. He wouldn't have any trouble with Thom's Flamboyance certainly. I prefer McKellan though. I think Thom has a bit of dried up rock star in him, though I mean that in the nicest way. :lol:

Gina McKee is a great choice for Moggy. Never seen her in anything but by the pictures she's perfect. She's got a look about her of scheming I guess you could call it.

Hair color doesn't really matter...but for me when I'm thinking about who I'd want I start by visualising. Also for some people their overall skin tone just doesn't justify any hair color but something close to their natural one. Orly Bloom made a fine blond but not everyone would. There's also a matter of costume design. There have been some otherwise fine movies where the characters had awful wigs. So if you don't have to put a wig on someone that to me is a bonus.

The problem with perrin is we'd have to have someone who's built like a brick out house. IOW a wrestler or vin deisel type' date=' I think there may be an inverse law saying that the more muscle you have the worse the acting is.[/quote']

I think you may be right about that. :lol:

Perrin is another I've never been able to cast to my satisfaction. I've virtually never liked the choices I've seen in other people's cast lists. Tom Welling isn't bad though and actors bulk up for movies all the time.

Huh-ere's the thing though. Ian Mckellin wouldn't last long enough to make the series. And other people may die before it's done, that's why i've always been more for a star trek tv show/couple of movies format with only 2 or 3 recognised actors.

I can't see Jackman as Lan, he's too short. Personally i'd like maybe Triple H from the WWE, he's got the build and he can grow a beard. Plus with Lan not being much of a talker it'd suit him perfectly. However, Mickey Rourke would also be bloody brilliant in that role too.

I'd like to see The Rock(Dwayne Johnson) as Masema too.

Keira Knightly as Siuan perhaps? I think she'd do well in the series aswell as Orlando Bloom. Evan Racheal Wood might also carry off the role of Elayne pretty well. Matt Damon could be Rand, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino HAVE to be among the forsaken. Anyone for Jake Guilenal(sp?) as Mat?

Oh and finally, Mark Wahlberg as Logain and George Clooney as Taim.

Huh-ere's the thing though. Ian Mckellin wouldn't last long enough to make the series. And other people may die before it's done' date=' that's why i've always been more for a star trek tv show/couple of movies format with only 2 or 3 recognised actors.

I can't see Jackman as Lan, he's too short. Personally i'd like maybe Triple H from the WWE, he's got the build and he can grow a beard. Plus with Lan not being much of a talker it'd suit him perfectly. However, Mickey Rourke would also be bloody brilliant in that role too.

Keira Knightly as Siuan perhaps? I think she'd do well in the series aswell as Orlando Bloom. Evan Racheal Wood might also carry off the role of Elayne pretty well. Matt Damon could be Rand, Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino HAVE to be among the forsaken. Anyone for Jake Guilenal(sp?) as Mat?

Oh and finally, Mark Wahlberg as Logain and George Clooney as Taim.[/quote']

err Hugh Jackman is too short for Lan but Matt Damon is tall enough for Rand (apart from being about 17 years too old)? Jake Gyllenhal is closer to the right age (10 years younger than Damon), and I'd be willing to stretch it that far though some are more insistent about age accuracy than I am. Matt Damon is going too far though, the guy's 3 years shy of 40 though he is rather baby-faced.

Nobody who has ever been a professional wrestler would get anywhere near any movie I made. The assertion that Lan doesn't need to be played by someone with acting ability is...well...the fact that he doesn't speak much doesn't mean he's a lump.

Doesn't really matter anyone's current age since this movie is never getting made. I'm not going to concern myself with such practical things as whether someone is likely to live long enough to finish filming. I look at it from a perspective of if the movies were finished in their entirety right now who would I want in each role.

id refuse to watch the film if Jackman was Lan way to broadway! Emma Thomson would ruin Moiraine for me just cant see her working. Jennifer Connelly i could see working and Gates McFadden for Mesaana is inspired would never have come up with that. Dont see Dench in this movie though. I agree with a few more of the above ideas mentioned. Oh and Meryl Streep has got to be in this preferably as Cadsuane.

Huh-ere's the thing though. Ian Mckellin wouldn't last long enough to make the series. And other people may die before it's done' date=' that's why i've always been more for a star trek tv show/couple of movies format with only 2 or 3 recognised actors.

Oh and finally, Mark Wahlberg as Logain and George Clooney as Taim.[/quote']

Wait a second, did you just say that Ian McKellin wouldn't last long enough for the entire series and then is the same breath suggest that Jack Nicholson be in this thing? :lol: Nicholson isn't exactly a spring chicken himself and last time I saw him he wasn't looking so good. As much as I like Nicholson he just doesn't fit any of the forsaken except possibly Aginor but his tallents would be wasted on such a small role. The next logical step would be to have him play Osan'gar instead but I just don't picture Osan'gar's body being that old. I like the Pacino idea, I like it alot. I think he would be best as Demandred but I could also see him as Ishamael, Moridin or Rhavin. Also young Al Picino would have made an excellent Taim but unfortuantly that window has along since passed.

Can you Smell-ell-ell-ell-ell-ell-ell what The Prophet is cooking?!!!!! :lol: But seriously The Rock as Messema isn't a half bad idea. Before I alwyas thougth that Messema should be played by someone who can do super creepy like Steve Bushmei. But now that you mention it I guess The Prophet actully should be portrayed as someone who is good looking and charasmatic considering that he got so many people to follow him. So let me just close by saying "Finally The Prophet has come back to Ghealdan!!!"

And NO!!! Matt Damon and Goerge Clooney cannot be in my Wheel Of Time movie. You have earned yourself a smack on the nose with my metaphorical newspaper for that one. May as well just go ahead an cast Tom Cruise as Rand. :lol:

I could certainly live with Mark Wallberg as Logain, he's one that I've had alot of trouble casting and Wallberg is not a half bad choice.

Leah Remini is awfully old for Nynaeve, for starters

I don't know about that, Nyneave is suposed to be in here late 20's and Remini is only 34 and is exceptionally well preserved for her age.

and second, all I've ever seen her in is King of Queens, which requires her to serve as a comedic foil to Kevin James. Not the best to go by.

True but think how often Nynaeve has been used as a comic foil for another characters eg Elayne, Valan Luca, and Uno to name a few. Nynaeve is great character becuase when the chips are down she always get things done, but she is also somewhat of a commedic character. Therefore, I think someone with experience as a comic foil wouldn't be a bad way to go.

Then again the reality is that by the time this thing actually gets made she'll probably be old enough to play Lini :lol:

Clancy Brown should be Demandred. After seeing Shawshank Redemption, I had to have him in there somewhere, and he's a little too old by now to be Taim. Well, maybe not. Either Demandred or Taim.

Jack Nicholson would have to lose like a hundred pounds to play any of the Forsaken. Ian McKellen is in way better health. All of the Forsaken (with the immediate exception of Aginor and Balthamel) are pretty well preserved, though.

Beckon: Watch Veronica Mars before it gets cancelled. Kristen Bell IS Min. And it's not that I don't like Sir Ian, I just don't feel him as Thom. For one thing, his sex appeal is nil.

I agree with anybody who says to keep pro wrestlers away from this film. I love wrestling, but I'm not kidding myself about the acting chops of anyone involved.

I think you're right Leopolde about Nynaeve, not necessarily Leah Remini, but the comedic part. Let's face it she's pretty absurd a lot of the time. You need an actress with some real ability but also someone who's not afraid to look a tad ridiculous.

Nobody who has ever been a professional wrestler would get anywhere near any movie I made. The assertion that Lan doesn't need to be played by someone with acting ability is...well...the fact that he doesn't speak much doesn't mean he's a lump.

I generally agree with this statement with three notable exceptions

1. I would have The Rock as he is rather anomalus among wrestlers in that he does manifest some decent acting ability.

2. I would have Batista as Lamgwin but that is only because Lamgwin only gets a line about once every three books, and I think the point of Lamgwin as a character is to have the presence of an intemidating, muscle bound man and not to generate engaging dialog.

3. Hulk Hogan as the voice of the Dark One. I mean can't you just see it? "What ya gonna do when the Lord of Chaos rules wild on you, brother?!!" I mean is that not birlliant? Is it not inspired? Is it not the greatest bit of cinimatic genuis you ever saw? :lol:

Watch Veronica Mars before it gets cancelled. Kristen Bell IS Min. And it's not that I don't like Sir Ian, I just don't feel him as Thom. For one thing, his sex appeal is nil.

I will do that. And I spose you're right about Thom...we do have to believe that Morgase would have been attracted to him within the last 15 years...I will have to give it some thought though, I still don't feel Billy Bob.

I still think the most all the part should be played by unknowns, who can act and match the parts as described in the books.

The biggest piece of this puzzle to me would be the screen writer(s) and the director.

So long as the director understands the story he/she should be able to pull a performance from any and all actors, and set the tone and feel of the movie.

I can understand that the movie will not be the book reincarnate, there will need to be parts that are skipped or compressed, or characters cut, I can live with that. But if they do things like LOTR or worse, Eragon, that would make me mad. If they try to make it a movie that will appeal to the general movie going public then the movie will suck for sure.

Please, please, dear god, don't never ever let Peter Jackson direct this.

Archived