DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lady Spanking

Denver Steve

@mistborn82 You want to expand Perrin's arc?! Geez, he's the slowest one to grow... except for maybe Nyneave. Yeah, it's well established in the very beginning of EotW that he likes to think things over carefully, but, Light, Jordan waste so much page-space showing how little (if at all) Perrin develops as a character. It's drawn out and boring. He broods over being a Wolfbrother before finally excepting it (like, four book later); he broods over being tied to Rand and feeling trapped in the Stone, until he finally leaves for the Two Rivers; he broods over his marriage because he doesn't understand Saldaean woman are attracted to d-bags... even after Deira straightup TELLS him that's what they want.

Nah, I'd cut he's story out the most. Showing as little of him as possible will make his arc seem to progress quicker.

22 hours ago, mistborn82 said:

No, I mean the wolfbrother training story because as it stands, his only life is his plot in tSR. If you take some of his stuff from TOM and put it throughout the series, he'd be much better because as it stands now, his 1 book development is unworkable.

So you're suggesting to "speed up" his progression by pulling things from later books to earlier in the story?

I guess I can get behind that. I don't know exactly what you mean about "Wolfbrother training" though. He doesn't really "train" at anything except for a few time in Tel'aran'rhiod with Hopper, but that's mostly to do with Wolfdream stuff.

For a "cinematic vibe" to his Wolfbrother awakening, I'd go with something like:

- He and Egwene meet Elyas after the escape from Shadar Logoth. The audience is introduced to the concept of Wolfbrothers

- Whitecloaks approach... Elyas sends Perrin and Egwene away, but they get separated in the confusion (on-screen drama)

- Whitecloaks corner Perrin, but wolves suddenly attack, defending him. When one of the wolves gets killed, Perrin flies into a rage (foreshadowing) and kills two Whitecloaks before getting thunked on the head

<fade to back... cut to other scenes>

- back in the Whitecloak camp, Egwene, now also a captive. Bornhold and Byar are talking

- outside, Perrin is chained to the ground, head hung despondantly, as he overhears the Whitecloak's plan to execute him. A disembodied whisper is heard, unintelligible at first, but resolves itself into a wolf-voice : "Help comes!" Perrin's eyes snap open, glowing yellow in the moonlight.

- queue Moiraine's lightning strikes, and wolves charging into the camp as the scene cuts away

<cut back>

- Egwene is alone in the tent, struggling against her bonds while shouts and sounds of confusion are heard outside. Suddenly Lan slips in, frees her, grabs Perrin's axe off the table, and slips out. They find Perrin, already free, and the three rush off into the trees to meet Moiraine & Nyneave. After some drilling questions from Moiraine, and a lot of concerned glances at his eyes, it's revealed that Dapple chewed through Perrin's bonds. (edit- or maybe Elyas frees Perrin. That would probably be less corny than a wolf doing it, and it would strengthen their bond when they meet later on in Ghaeldan.)

______

The whole bit with Byar and the sharp stone, and wearing Whitecloak disguises would not play well on screen, IMO.

Edited by Effete

On 1/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Denver Steve said:

Victims of Spanking in WoT;

Elayne.

Nyneave

Siuan

Elaida

Alviarin

Moghedian

Galina

Jolene (that one was funny ?)

And of course,

Egween....possibly the most spanked character in any story, ever.

Thats’s 9 !

Am I missing anyone?

I don’t remember Min ever getting it, or Aviendha..

maybe Colavere ?

Path of Daggers, chapter 26

Min gets her bottom switched by Sorilea.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 12:40 PM, Denver Steve said:

Victims of Spanking in WoT;

Elayne.

Nyneave

Siuan

Elaida

Alviarin

Moghedian

Galina

Jolene (that one was funny ?)

And of course,

Egween....possibly the most spanked character in any story, ever.

Thats’s 9 !

Am I missing anyone?

I don’t remember Min ever getting it, or Aviendha..

maybe Colavere ?

Semirhage was spanked by Cadsuane.

• 2 months later...

I've been starting of a reread of the books this month, and it seems like the threat of spankings is more prominent than actual spankings, and like a lot of you said, it's usually women on women. 

I think there's a strong SM theme that runs throughout the series, even down to females surrendering to Saidar versus the men fighting with Saidin. (Honestly, there will probably be people upset about the gender binary nature of this world. There's no spectrum of Saidin and Saidar.) There is also a great amount of female nudity that has nothing to do with sex, but does have a lot to do with humiliation and disempowerment, and that's going to get a lot of people upset. There was a line in "Good Omens" about how most books of witches describe them as always doing their rituals naked because most book about witches are written by men, and I think that applies here. 

If they put this stuff in the show, it will get complained about. They will also get a good number of people interested in the show because of it. So are they going for a Game of Thrones type of gritty show with nudity and blood or are they making a wholesome family show? It's streaming, so the limit of what they can do is high. 

So if they are going to put spanking and nudity imbalance in the show, they should try to make it make sense instead of making in stand out, even if it was in the original source material. If a novice get's punished, do some knuckle wrapping. Let Siuan have a shift after her stilling. Have the Aiel allow their new Gai'shain to change once they get back to camp. 

It will have to be a balance because it won't be a wholesome family show but neither is it GOT, no killing every other character. Also the story was begun 30 years ago, the culture has changed, e.g. Tylin. I have no doubt that was put in there for a laugh and I even thought it was funny until pointed out otherwise. It was always unacceptable and should have been treated as such and now almost everyone accepts that. You change the story so Mat gets laughed at by his friends, goes to Tuon, they believe him and Tylin is hung. Belatedly Elayne and Nyneave realize how wrong their behavior was and apologize.

That's just the most blatant example of culture change but there are plenty of others.

1 hour ago, mistborn82 said:

It will have to be a balance because it won't be a wholesome family show but neither is it GOT, no killing every other character.

I hope it isn't "a wholesome family show" in the sense that it needs to be violent and terrifying. I don't mind a lot of death. I don't mind a little gore. I just don't need all of the scenes where characters are doing something while there are a bunch of naked people having sex in the shot. It's gratuitous.

Some nudity will happen. It should. Some sex should happen. It should. But please, please, please let it be in furtherance of the story instead of just for titillation.