DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lady Spanking

Denver Steve

It would surprise me if they did not tone it down a lot considering the current metoo/social climate. Regardless of canon, they could be criticized of legitimizing abuse (punishment) against young women and they would not likely dare do that to any great extent is my thought. But time will tell how it is played out (perhaps it is suggested more than shown).

I see it more of why show it, watching an Aes Sedai spank someone really doesn't add anything for a series that's going to be short on time anyway.  Some detail is going to need to be tossed aside.  Like Eladia being "punished" it would probably be more effective to have someone walk by the room and hearing screaming or something instead of seeing her getting spanked.

• 2 weeks later...

Corporal punishment was very much a part of discipline for children and young adults in the time period which WOT is most resembles. We don't see any male characters in similar situations so while it might seem all women if one of our male POV characters was a young boy at school, or one freshly conscripted into the army, then they would  no doubt be undergoing similar and in fact Matt often remembers being switched for misdemeanours from what I recall.

All that said it is a little excessive in the books and effects characters who are no longer at that stage in their personal or professional lives. The windfinders in particular seem problematic here, but I can think of a few other examples. The TV show would probably be wise to tone it down in those instances.

I would be shocked if there's any spanking in the show, both because it won't play well with audiences, and because, as mentioned, there's a clear fetish angle to it in the books which will not jive with a show positioning itself as a more feminist take on fantasy. The corporal punishment will most likely be pulled way back in general, but there's no reason that the any spanking vital to the plot (if there is such a thing) can't be replaced with the implication of a switching instead.

Edited by TheTuna450
Fixing a typo.

• 2 weeks later...

Victims of Spanking in WoT;

Elayne.

Nyneave

Siuan

Elaida

Alviarin

Moghedian

Galina

Jolene (that one was funny ?)

And of course,

Egween....possibly the most spanked character in any story, ever.

Thats’s 9 !

Am I missing anyone?

I don’t remember Min ever getting it, or Aviendha..

maybe Colavere ?

Edited by Denver Steve
Typo

14 hours ago, Denver Steve said:

Elayne.

Nyneave

Siuan

Elaida

Alviarin

Moghedian

Galina

And of course,

Thats’s 9 !

Am I missing anyone?

maybe Colavere ?

You are missing some, no doubt because there is so much of it going on.

Min is indeed spanked, by Sorilea when she was interrogating her, and perhaps on other occasions I cannot remember. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2020 at 2:40 PM, Denver Steve said:

Elayne.

Nyneave

Siuan

Elaida

Alviarin

Moghedian

Galina

And of course,

Thats’s 9 !

Am I missing anyone?

maybe Colavere ?

Faile gets spanked by Perrin when she won't stop slapping him. #mentoo

As for the show, we don't need to see every instance of when someone gets spanked, but I hope the show stays true to the story and heavily implies it. Like having scenes where a Novice gingerly sits down and whinces... it'd take all of 2 seconds, but it'll get the point across.

I want to see an accurate depiction of Jordan's novels, not something sterlized for overly-sensitive people who think all entertainment needs to be a sociopolitical statement.

In the early books the spanking was not a major theme. There would be no reason to show it on screen.  In fact the most common switching theme early on is actually Nynaeve talking about having switched the boys back in Two Rivers, so its really not a feminist issue.  What they might choose to portray later (assuming the show does well enough for there to be a later) probably depends on the demographics of the audience.  If it has lots of young fans then the sex and spanking will be minimized.  If it develops an older audience then they will be more prominent.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:39 PM, Effete said:

Faile gets spanked by Perrin when she won't stop slapping him. #mentoo

As for the show, we don't need to see every instance of when someone gets spanked, but I hope the show stays true to the story and heavily implies it. Like having scenes where a Novice gingerly sits down and whinces... it'd take all of 2 seconds, but it'll get the point across.

I want to see an accurate depiction of Jordan's novels, not something sterlized for overly-sensitive people who think all entertainment needs to be a sociopolitical statement.

I couldn’t agree more about the ACCURATE depiction of Jordan’s story. The quickest way to make something not stand the test of time is for the producers and directors to insert uneccesary sociopolitical statements of their times into a work of art.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you can strike a balance as you don't need to show it for most other than wincing or the like. If the story gets to the end, you will have to adjust Egwene and Silviana as I don't think having her mercilessly beating Egwene and then becoming her keeper will be believable.

@mistborn82 Egwene deserves to be beaten. Granted, I'm only about 80% through with Path of Daggers on my first complete read-through (and I got the next two books in queue), but Egwene has really be bugging me these last few books. RJ is trying to portray her as this great thinker with complicated plans than need to "click" just right, but she misses the most obvious clues to so many crucial things. Completely dispells my suspension of disbelief.

I'll fully admit, I think this is a flaw in Jordan's writing. He's great at world-building and stringing together a complex plot, but he's not good at creating believable characters.